Week of May 16, 2016
School Announcements & Updates
Carnival Help-from Mr. Wissler
Your help is needed to help make our carnival a success! This is also another opportunity for OAA hours! Sign up using the link:
Monday 5/23: Lancaster Symphony will be returning to McCaskey to put on a performance for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. I will send out more details on this in another email.
END OF YEAR MEETING 1:1 PREPARATIONS:
- OSE-DIFFERENTIATED SUPERVISION-ensure you finalize documents in iobservation by Thursday May, 12, 2016
- Ensure you have all relevant data
- Analyze year long data and be prepared to discuss
- SLO documentation must be completed and submitted via schoology by Thursday May 19th.
- Be ready to discuss reflections of the school year and professional growth goal and plans.
Mentor Program Update-from Mr. Wertman
1. The school year is coming to a close. Please remember to work with the student you are mentoring one last time and close out your mentorship.
2. Thank you to everyone that participated in the program this year. These relationships and efforts throughout the year go a long way to making a difference in these children’s lives.
Thank you to the following staff members whose contributions to Jean’s Day on May 13thresulted in raising $331.00 for sponsoring students in the Wickersham Wellness Run! Together we raised enough for 66 students to receive medals who would not have been able to afford it otherwise! Thank you for helping to make the Wellness Run a success!
· Alex Aronson
· Amanda Gartman
· Amanda Kraft
· Amy Miller
· Angela DiTomasso
· Carol Nixdorf
· Christine Kile
· Corey Lipisko
· Deb Shaub
· Elizabeth Kreckel
· Jen Heiser
· Jen Irizarry
· Jen Monk
· Ka Yerger
· Karen Carr
· Karen Mastropietro
· Lindsey Kopp
· Maria Bertoncini
· Miriam Melendez
· Nate Miller
· Rachel Tadlock
· Rose Acevedo
· Saheeb Sabur
· Tonya Massarotti
Morning Meeting Focus: RESPONSIBLE IN HALLWAYS
District Updates & Announcements
Teacher Verification Phase
May 14th – 27th – Teachers will be able to view their rosters and make updates as needed. Teachers must submit their rosters to the principal for approval when complete. Teachers can find specific information for how to view and edit rosters in the “Teacher Actions” portion of the video found at this link: https://pvaas.sas.com/learningModules.html#group-126.
All 3rd and 7thgraders are scheduled to participate in Science CDT during the May 2nd – 13th window. This data will be made available to the current teachers, as well as the teachers in the next grade level to help with instructional planning for the 2016-17 school year.
2016-2017 THINK THROUGH MATH UPDATES
- A half-day training will be offered on Monday, August 22nd, from 8:30-11:30 am for any users in need of start-up training or additional support in the use of the program. Teachers, Coaches or Administrators can register directly in MyLearningPlan.
- Teachers now have the ability to project any lesson for small group or whole class instruction by accessing Lesson Explorer under the Content tab of their teacher account.
- All teachers currently have access to the 30 question Quantile Diagnostic/Benchmark Assessment tool that can be administered up to three times yearly. Next year, this tool will assist in the placement of students in the program.
- For 2016-17, the Grade 3-4 content will be improved to offer additional item types and student supports.
- TTM offers a PA-specific pathway for Keystone Algebra.
Sumdog Math Competition
Sumdog’s Lancaster-Lebanon Math Contest is less than one week away starting Friday, May 13th, and continuing until the Thursday May 19th. The contest is completely free with prizes to be won and is aimed at Grades K – 8, but if a teacher feels this is an appropriate level for other students, they are also welcome to join. Students can play online either at school or at home using the website or the app. In order to join in the fun, teachers can enter their class here:http://www.sumdog.com/enter_contest. Please make sure all students have completed the new diagnostic before starting any contest. You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Summer Reading Opportunity for Students
You may pass along this opportunity to your students. The Mix at Arbor Place has a cool new summer program this year in partnership with The Common Wheel. Through the program, volunteers will deliver free brand new books to 200 children in Lancaster City over four weeks in the month of June. Volunteers will deliver books to children via bicycle and help to promote the importance of summer reading. Students will be able to keep the books to develop their own home libraries. The program is limited to the first 200 K-12 applicants from the SDoL and is 100% free. Contact Mrs. Mercado for the application.
Internet Safety and Cyberbullying Awareness Lessons:
Reminder: Instruction occurs over two (2) class sessions sometime during SY2015-16 (no more than 30-45 minutes) per session – review of instruction can occur throughout the year as appropriate (based on class activities and need)
Classroom Teachers must complete the following survey by May 27th indicating when and how the instruction occurred.
See someone going above and beyond...in addition to the paper version of the Staff Spotlight found in the main office here is a link that can also be used to celebrate each other…it can be completely anonymous and there is also a spot for choice on how you feel the celebration should be shared.
A monthly drawing will happen for spotlighted staff to win a PRIZE!
Amanda works hard every day in the office graciously taking pictures and posting all of the student and staff spotlights! She consistently greets the spotlight winners with a smile. Thank you Amanda for all of your hard work!
Food For Thought...
- 5th Grade Trip To Lincoln Middle
- Federal Monitors Visit Wickersham & Meet with Mercado- Title I
- Lipisko Out
- Mercado Out
- Mercado Out
- 5th Grade Walking Field Trip to Thaddeus Stevens 8:40-11:30 a.m.
- 1st Grade Field Trip
- WELLNESS RUN DAY-see schedule emailed by Mr. Lipisko
- ALL staff should plan on dressing in appropriate "athletic attire" for the day.
May 23- Lancaster Symphony Orchestra-3rd-5th
May 24- Kindergarten Hands On House
May 26-3rd Grade Trip to Musser Park
May 27th- Wickersham Family Carnival
May 31-5th Grade-County Park
June 3rd- Tentative Field Day
Johnson- 5/12Morgan- 5/23
N. Miller- 5/25