Volume 1, Issue 20: February 2, 2018
We had a fantastic week! Please read through the newsletter and let me know if you have any questions. Have a restful weekend!
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Senior Center Donations
Kailey's spreading the word about donations with her crafty flyer!
Small Reading Groups
Aly's checking the text for evidence for her answer.
Small Reading Groups
After reading the text, Blair and Luca analyze the text.
Ashwith, Leah and Fletcher discuss the book they just finished.
Practicing relaxation and balance.
Isaac works on his "commonly misspelled words" page.
Writing: We finished our nonfiction essay/book.
Reading: We had MAP reteach/acceleration groups for reading. Ms. Gierman and split up our classes and co-taught lessons on informational reading.
Math: Purple: Starting algebra unit. Blue: Finishing out unit on measurement. Orange: We started our unit on Multiplying and dividing fractions/mixed numbers.
Science: We finished our earth systems PBL.
Enrichment: We gathered donations and communicated our donation needs to the school and community.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Purple: Continuing algebra unit. Blue: Starting a fraction unit! Orange: We will continue our unit on Multiplying and dividing fractions/mixed numbers.
- Reading/Writing: We will be starting our poetry unit!
- Social Studies: We will be starting our unit on the government.
- Enrichment: We will continue to gather needed donations for the Senior Living facility. The field trip is on Thursday!
Self-Reflective Learning: Perfectionism
- We need to stop and think about the things in our lives that we sometimes have perfectionist tendencies with.
- We can recognize that nobody's perfect and that everyone makes mistakes! It's even OK to say "I don't know"!
- We should focus on the positive, and learn/grow from the mistakes.
Stonecrest of Troy Senior Living Donations Needed
Here's a note from the students:
Do you know an elderly individual that needs extra help? Research shows that senior living homes try to support health because sometimes the seniors aren’t always strong, happy and feeling alright. We need to provide care, help and donations for them to brighten their days. They need this because we, the students in the Ms. Martin’s and Ms. Gierman’s classes, know how much you care for them and that’s why we are doing a donation drive for the elderly! Please help donate to the elderly people in our community. We will be taking a trip to Stonecrest of Troy and giving your donations to the elderly. They truly appreciate our help. We are accepting old iPod shuffles (with charging cords if possible), lap or small blankets, crafting supplies, cup holders for their walkers, eyeglass cloths, trinkets, chocolates, or anything else that the elderly might enjoy. Please bring your donations to classrooms 9 or 10 at Woodland Elementary School by February 7th.
Kindergarten Round Up
STEM Career Day!
Woodland’s STEM Career Day for students in grades 3-5 will take place on Friday, February 9th, 2018 from 1:30-3:00. We have a variety of presenters coming - an electrical engineer, a video game producer, an information technology specialist, and even a chief mechanical engineer that tests Abrams tanks! It will be a fantastic day!
Valentine's Day Party
A late work policy will begin January 8th for my classroom. Students will receive -%5 off for each day any homework or project is turned in more than a day late. This means students will get a 1 day grace period. For example: If a project was due on Tuesday but was turned in on Thursday, it would be -5% off of the grade they earned. Keep in mind, absences a different situation. Students receive one day extra time for each day they are absent.
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job" (1 week to do this)
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Upcoming Important Dates
2/9 STEM Career Day
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/1 Kindergarten Round-Up
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School