Elkins Update #2
Monthly Newsletter to Keep Parents Informed
Journey to Excellence
* We hope this newsletter helps to keep you informed of things going on at Elkins and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to call the office with any questions or email administration (Kori Werth email@example.com & Bobby Jackson firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or concerns you need addressed. Our door is always open, and we want to work with partners to help your children be successful!
Taking a TRIP to Reach our Attendance Goal
In order to help promote attendance, we will be doing individual incentives to show our appreciation for our students AND parents who work hard to get here EACH day ON TIME.
Each six weeks, a drawing will take place for each student who has PERFECT (no absences and no tardies) for the 6 weeks.
* students entered into drawing for Altitude jump pass
* parents entered into drawing for $25 Visa gift card
The class with the highest attendance percentage will receive a popcorn party!
At the END OF THE YEAR, each student with perfect attendance will be entered into a drawing for a bike! We will have 8 bikes, so 8 students will win!!! The grade level with the highest attendance percentage will win a pizza party for their ENTIRE GRADE LEVEL!!
Help us reach our attendance goal of 97% (as a campus) for the 2017-2018 school year! We appreciate your support as we work together to take a TRIP!
- School picture day is Tuesday, September 26th!
- Something that you may or may not be aware of, is that you should receive daily emails from a company called PeachJar. This is an electronic way of getting the flyers that come home from the campus and the district. One email should come each day with all of the flyers that have been sent out by the district/campus. Some days, there may be 1, and other days there may be multiples. This is a great way to know what is taking place without getting a lot of papers day in and day out. For campus events, we do try to send a hard copy (paper copy) home as well, but many district events will only be sent out using the PeachJar messaging system.
- Our first round of enrichment clubs begins this week. Your students should have signed up for their clubs on Friday, so make sure to ask them what club they will be participating in! The students look forward to these clubs, and they work to build on those 21st century skills of collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking. The clubs take place during the last Friday of each month for 45 minutes. Their club instructor may be a younger grade teacher or an older grade teacher, depending on the particular activity. Make sure to ask your students about their day on Friday and how they liked their first club of the 2017-2018 school year!
- Make sure to sign up for Skyward Family Access! You can do this by visiting the district website at www.emsisd.com. Click on "Parents," then click on "Skyward Access." This will allow you to view your students' grades, sign up for bus transportation, adjust personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc. This is the best way to stay connected to everything going on with your students!
- Elkins Remind text message feature is available again this year! Follow this link in order to sign up to receive text messages from Elkins for important reminders such as picture day, special events, early releases, etc.! This is a great way to stay connected!
- The district is offering a World Language Academy to allow parents and students the opportunity to learn Spanish and American Sign Language together through this new academy. Opening in October 2017, the program will offer language enrichment courses for students in grades 2-12 and their families. Additional information can be found on the district website www.emsisd.com, and there is a link on the main page that will take you to the specific information about the academy.
- October 9th and 10th will be student holidays, as those are district staff development days for employees. Make sure to mark your calendars and make arrangements for your students on those days, since there will be no school. Your students will enjoy the 4 day weekend!
- Thanks for everything you all are doing to help arrival and dismissal run smoothly. Just a friendly reminder that we begin each day at 7:35! Also, remember to stay in your cars if you are picking up in the front and/or the horseshoe area out back! If you are parking to walk and pick up your student, please go to the gym door, located on the northeast side of the building.
- At Elkins, we love our volunteers, and our visitors. We have created a Visitor Guidelines sheet that is available in the front office when you check in. These are just friendly reminders about our school procedures when you are walking students down in the mornings, visiting for lunch, etc. We want to welcome any and all parent visitors on campus, while also adhering to our procedures. Thank you so much for reviewing these guidelines when you visit in order to help everything run safely and smoothly on a daily basis.
- If you receive a call from the school during the day, please make sure to check your voicemail before returning the call. Since many teachers/staff call during their conference times, it's difficult for our front office staff to know who called you and where to direct your call. Our staff has been instructed to always leave a voicemail, so please assist us in helping our communication be effective and always listen to your voicemail to see if specific information was given, then return the call to the school and ask for the appropriate person. We appreciate your help with this.
In guidance lessons, we are diving deeper into our life principles. This month, we are talking about responsibility. Many of you were unable to make it to the bully presentation at the PTA meeting. I have put the short power point on my website. The link is below. Please take a few minutes to read over the definition of bullying and how you, as parents, can help. Please also remember, you may fill out a counseling request form (link also below) any time you would like your child to speak to the counselor. Thanks for your continued support of our counseling program!
Counselor Request form link:
Bully presentation link:
Dates to Remember
September 25th-October 6th:
Coin Drive to benefit San Jacinto Elem in Conroe ISD
Tuesday, September 26th:
Individual Fall Pictures
Friday, September 29th
Enrichment Clubs Today
End of 1st 6 weeks (1st set of attendance drawings take place)
Monday, October 9th:
No School- Staff Development Day for Teachers
Tuesday, October 10th:
No School- Staff Development Day for Teachers
Friday, October 13th:
Fire Truck visit for K-2 (9:00-11:00)
Red Ribbon Week (details to follow)
Report cards go home
PTA "Big Kahuna" fundraiser kick off
The Pizza Buffet Spirit Night (mention Elkins when ordering)
Early Release at 11:40 (teacher/parent conferences)