Overall,it was a fast, engaging, and eventful week. The students participated in Spanish Day, learned about different parts of the world in the mulitcultural day this past Wednesday, and watched multicultural performances by parents and students.
Please read the information below regarding the homework binder.
I noticed that that many books and spelling activities were not logged in the reading and spelling activity log. That being said, please log in the books that your child reads as well as the spelling activities that he/she does. The homework grade is part of the effort grade you see in your child's report card.
Please make sure the word sort spelling activity is completed. There were some students who didn't complete their word sort homework. The words should be sorted according to vowels and/or blends mentioned on the top of the page.
What We''ve Learned This Week
· The students listened to a “Plants” passage.
· They read the passage as a group and individually
· They circled the words they don’t understand
· They answered the comprehension questions about the reading.
· The students inferred the following words’ meaning from the passage: nutrients, develop, contains
· They defined the word “ nutrients” in their vocabulary notebook.
We reviewed coins and coins values.
1.Butterfly Life Cycle
- We reviewed the butterfly life cycle and compared it other insects and arachnids' life cycle.
2. Plants Parts, Needs,and Life Cycle
- The students labelled the plant parts on plants pictures and wrote each part function in the plant
- They discussed what plants need, plant life cycle, and steps for planting a plant
- They planted six different seeds and are observing on daily basis which seed is going to sprout first.
- We reviewed the definition of "recycling"
- The students named recyclable items.
- After listening to " Garbage", " recycling truck", and " Recycling" books, the students began summarizing what they learned in writing.
- We reviewed names of continents and oceans in the world map.
- The students were introduced to different parts of the world by being shown pictures of children from different countries.
- They learned about countries such as Bolivia, the Philippines, Haiti, India, Kenya, Brazil, U.K., and Uzbekistan from parents who volunteered to speak about these countries on the multicultural day.
Writing & Handwriting Skills
They practiced writing their spelling words in their journal using 3 activities from the spelling activity sheet (organizing words alphabetically)
Heritage Farm Museum Field Trip
Questions to Ask Your Child
- What does “nutrients” mean?
- What sounds do the following vowels make and give examples of words with these vowels: short a, long a, short e, long e, short i, long i, short o, long o, short u, long u?
- What do plants need to grow?
- What is the plant life cycle?
- What seeds did you plant in the field trip?
- Why should we recycle?
- What items can be recycled?
- Name the continents that you learned about.
- How many oceans do we have in our planet? Name them.
- Name some of the countries that you learned about? What continent is/are the country is located on?
Visiting Multicultural Stations
- Graduation caps and gowns rental fee payment is due
- Parents Nigh Out @ 6:30PM-9:30PM