Immigration to Canada
Exploring the past .... predicting the future
What the heck is this thing anyway?
As you scroll through this lesson be sure to watch the videos, analyze the pictures and graphs, use the internet when prompted, and write any important information in your notes (better yet... type it up on your device).
New immigrants to Canada
PICTURE: Think / Pair / Share with your partner
- When do you think this picture was taken?
- What do you think their lives were like back in their home country?
- What country are they coming from, and why do you think they left?
- If this was a current photograph how would it be different?
Pair/Share: With you partner, share your answers to the questions above.
REVIEW: Lets review some terminology
- Push Factor
- Pull Factor
- Intervening Obstacle (human migration)
- Business/Entrepreneur Immigrant
- Landed Immigrant / Permanent Resident
- Independent or Economic Immigrant
- Skilled worker
VIDEO: Watch and respond
- What proportion of people in Canada were born outside of the country (current data)? How does this compare to historic proportional data (looking at data from early in the 1900's)?
- Which THREE countries do most immigrants to Canada emigrate from currently? How does this differ from our historic source countries?
- In 2016 immigrants had more than ______ places of birth? What does this tell us about Canada's cultural make up?
Didn't get all of the answers the first time? Use the infographic below to aid you in answering the questions.
How many Immigrants come to Canada each year?
- In 2015 the Federal Government increase the number of immigrants to enter Canada each year to what number? Previously the numbers were between what range? Why do you think the government made this change?
- What are the 3 main types of immigrant categories accepted into Canada? Name some specific categories contained within each of the umbrella categories.
- Which of the 3 main types of immigrant categories presents the largest amount of immigrants to Canada each year?
PHOTO ANALYSIS: How did they "sell" Canada to Europeans?
What "promises" were made to these prospective immigrants?
If Canada made posters today, how would they be different?
Record your thoughts in your notes.
LISTEN: Business Class Immigrant
- What is a Business Class immigrant?
- Do you think that this class of immigrant is fair? Why or why not?
Business / Investor Program - Canada by Immigration.ca Podcast
READ: Immigration stories
MAP ANALYSIS: Immigrant Map
- Which THREE continents provide the LEAST immigrants to Canada? Why do you think this is? How might Canada attract more immigrants from these continents?
- Which TWO continents (other than North America) provide the most immigrants to Canada? Why do you think this is?