Immigration to Canada
Exploring the past .... predicting the future
What the heck is this thing anyway?
As you scroll through this lesson be sure to watch the videos, analyze the pictures and graphs, use the internet when prompted, and write any important information in your notes (better yet... type it up on your device).
New immigrants to Canada
PICTURE: Think / Pair / Share with your partner
- When do you think this picture was taken?
- What do you think their lives were like back in their home country?
- What country are they coming from, and why do you think they left?
- If this was a current photograph how would it be different?
Pair/Share: With you partner, share your answers to the questions above.
REVIEW: Lets review some terminology
- Push Factor
- Pull Factor
- Intervening Obstacle (human migration)
- Business/Entrepreneur Immigrant
- Landed Immigrant / Permanent Resident
- Independent or Economic Immigrant
- Skilled worker
VIDEO: Watch and respond
- How many immigrants come to Canada each year? What factors determine this number? Who helps make the decision?
- What criteria does Canada use to determine if someone can immigrate to Canada?
- What are Economic Immigrants? What percent of immigrants are in this category?
- What are Family Class Immigrants? Why is this class of immigrant important?
- How does the Refugee process work? Why do you think it is important for Canada to accept immigrants as refugees?
- Which THREE countries do most immigrants to Canada emigrate from?
- Aside from immigration, what are some of the other reasons people enter Canada?
Didn't get all of the answers the first time? Watch it again.
PHOTO ANALYSIS: How did they "sell" Canada to Europeans?
What "promises" were made to these prospective immigrants?
If Canada made posters today, how would they be different?
Record your thoughts in your notes.
LISTEN: Business Class Immigrant
- What is a Business Class immigrant?
- Do you think that this class of immigrant is fair? Why or why not?
Business / Investor Program - Canada by Immigration.ca Podcast
READ: Immigration stories
MAP ANALYSIS: Immigrant Map
- Which THREE continents provide the LEAST immigrants to Canada? Why do you think this is? How might Canada attract more immigrants from these continents?
- Which TWO continents (other than North America) provide the most immigrants to Canada? Why do you think this is?