VAMS Panther Press Newsletter
September 9, 2022
September 12 - 16 - Homecoming Dress Up Days (more information below)
- Tuesday, September 13 - Fundraiser Kickoff (students will bring home fundraiser information)
- Wednesday, September 14 - Community Pep Rally at Panther Stadium at 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, September 14 - VA Pink Out T-Shirt Orders Due (more information below)
- Friday, September 16 - Homecoming Varsity Football Game at 7:00 PM (more information below)
- Monday, September 19 - VAISD School Board Meeting at 7:00 PM at the admin building
- Tuesday, September 20 - Picture Day (picture order information below)
- Tuesday, September 20 - Pep Rally at 3:00 PM - Parents & guests are welcome to attend!
- Friday, September 23 - First UIL Eligibility Check (more information below)
- Tuesday, September 27 - Fundraisers Due
- Saturday, October 1 - VAISD Fall Festival from 3:00 PM -7:00 PM in the VAHS Parking Lot
- Tuesday, October 4 - Pep Rally at 3:00 PM
- Tuesday, October 11 - 6/7 Social Studies Quarter 1 Tests (tests will be given during class)
- Tuesday, October 11 - 6th Grade Beginner Band Concert at 7:00 PM in the VAMS Main Gym
- Wednesday, October 12 - 6th - 8th Math & 8th Social Studies Quarter 1 Tests (tests will be given during class)
- Thursday, October 13 - 6th - 8th Reading & Science Quarter 1 Tests (tests will be given during class)
- Friday, October 14 - House Games from 1:15 PM - 3:30 PM
- Friday, October 14 - VAMS Halloween Dance (organized by parent volunteers) from 6:00-8:00 - free admission (more information below)
- Monday, October 17 - NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, October 18 - NO SCHOOL
Progress Reports Went Home Yesterday
Also, please know that we will not accept food deliveries for students. Accepting food deliveries is a campus security issue as that would increase the number of visitors to our campus.
Homecoming Dress Up Days
VA Pink Out T-Shirt
VAMS Picture Day
Our picture day is scheduled for Tuesday, September 20. If you would like to place an online order for pictures, go to lifetouch.com and click the "Order Now" button. The VAMS Picture Day ID is EVTMFQW4D.
If your child tests positive for Covid with an at-home test, please email a picture of the positive at-home test along with the dates your child will miss school to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org and our nurse at email@example.com.
2022-2023 Yearbook Orders
Buy early and save money!
Secure your memories!
Cost: $42.00 if you order by Monday, November 21, 2022
Students Calling Home
UIL Eligibility Check
UIL has a No Pass No Play eligibility rule that governs students participating in school-related extra-curricular activities. This pertains not only to middle school athletes, but to all school-related extra-curricular activities in which students compete, including but not limited to: athletics, cheerleading, showing animals, choir, and band competitions, etc. Here is a brief explanation...
The FIRST ELIGIBILITY CHECK will be on Friday, September 23rd. Any student failing at that time will not be eligible to participate in any UIL club or team. After the September 23rd eligibility check, all other eligibility checks will be made at the end of each 9 weeks. If a student is passing all subjects at the end of a nine weeks grading period, he/she will remain eligible to participate in extra-curricular activities until the end of the next nine weeks grading period. A student who fails any subject for the nine weeks becomes ineligible to participate in any extra-curricular activity at 3:00 the Friday following report cards.
Students can regain eligibility if they are passing all classes at the following times: at the end of the three weeks reporting period, at the end of the six weeks reporting period, and at the end of the nine weeks grading period. They will regain eligibility at 3:00 the Friday after progress reports or report cards come out.
Halloween Dance Volunteers
Parent Volunteer Group
Parents can deposit money into their child’s lunch account online through www.myschoolbucks.com. **In accordance with state law, parents are not allowed to provide food for any child other than their own. This includes dropped-off lunches, sharing of pizza, cupcakes for their friends, etc.
Feed My Sheep Program
Backpack food programs provide nutritious, non-perishable, easy-to-prepare food to
children to ensure they get enough food on weekends and holidays in an effort to avoid hunger
when they are unable to depend on school meals. By providing kids with the nutrients they need when they’re away from school, they show up on Monday morning healthy and ready to learn. Each student will typically receive 2 breakfast items, 2 lunches, 2 dinners and 2 snack type items.
If your family would benefit from the Feed My Sheep program, then click the link below to view the Feed My Sheep flyer. Complete the bottom portion of the page and return it to our VAMS counselor, Mrs. Cady.
Cell Phone Policy
Students are allowed to bring cell phones to school. They are allowed to listen to music and play games on their cell phones before school, during lunch, and after school. Students must keep cell phones out of sight and turned off (not on silent) during the school day. Please reinforce this rule with your child so they are well aware.
Also, please do not allow your child to call or text you from school using their cell phone for any reason, including to come pick them up when they do not feel well. Proper procedure is to report to Nurse Wilson and allow her to use her training to make that determination. Misuse will result in confiscation of the cell phone and the parent will be required to come pick up the phone. If the student continues to misuse their cell phone, the student will be required to check their cell phone into the office each morning.
Thursday, September 15 @ VAMS vs. Celina
5:00 PM - 7A & 8B
6:00 PM - 8A & 7B
Thursday, September 22 in Sherman
5:00 PM - 7A & 8B
6:00 PM - 8A & 7B
7th Grade Football
Thursday, September 15 at 5:00 & 5:30 PM at Van Alstyne Stadium vs. Whitesboro
Tuesday, September 20 at 5:30 & 6:30 PM at Melissa
8th Grade Football
Thursday, September 15 at 5:00 & 7:00 PM at Van Alstyne Stadium vs. Whitesboro
Tuesday, September 20 at 6:00 & 7:00 PM at Van Alstyne Stadium vs. Melissa
Saturday, September 10 - S&S Ram Run
Saturday, September 24 - Denison Invitational Run
Monday, October 10 - District Meet in Celina
Coach Ingram, Middle School Girls Athletic Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach Sedlacek, Middle School Boys Athletic Coordinator - email@example.com
Varisty Football Games
- Middle school students who are not sitting with their parents/guardians need to sit in the middle school section (top, left side of the bleachers).
- No footballs or other balls can be brought to the game.
- No one is allowed on the football field after the game.
- Students will be asked to leave if they continue to make poor choices after a warning/redirection.
Community Service Hour Log
Promoting community service is a goal of VAMS! In order to promote and foster serving our community and others, students can earn a community service award at the end of the year awards assemblies to recognize students who give their time, talents, and hearts.
Find opportunities throughout the school year for your child to work on their community service hours. Make sure your child is documenting their community service time on their hour log.
VAMS Community Service Hour Logs are due on Friday, May 1st. Hours are documented digitally. Click the link below to access the digital hour log.
Click on the link below "VAMS Community Service FAQ Flyer" for more information.
Communication throughout the year
Middle School Website: Click HERE to access the VAMS webpage.
Social Media: Want to see what goes on at VAMS during the week? Want to see pictures of students doing awesome things? Want to see what learning looks like on our campus? Be sure to like us on Facebook, Van Alstyne Middle School.
Digital Newsletter: We email parents a digital campus newsletter every Friday. If you are not currently signed up to receive our weekly newsletter, click HERE.
Grade-level Remind Accounts: Please sign up for the appropriate Remind accounts below to help keep you informed. We also recommend having your child sign up as well. Teachers use Remind to communicate important dates and information.
A Note From Our Nurse....
Our clinics must have a Medication Parent Consent Form on file for students requiring medication administered during school hours. This form must be signed by parent/legal guardian. Medication must be kept in the ORIGINAL bottle. (see links below)
Children who have the following symptoms should stay home and not come to school until these symptoms have been gone for at least 24 hours without the help of medication.
- Fever (100 degrees or higher)
- Sore Throat (with fever or swollen neck)
- Persistent Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Rash (with fever and itching)
- Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye (your child can attend school 24 hours after starting medical treatment)
A child with a typical cold, but no fever or green drainage, may come to school.
If a student becomes ill during the school day, he or she must receive permission from the teacher before reporting to the school nurse. If the nurse determines that the child should go home, the nurse will contact the parent.
Volunteer Approval Form
Click the button below to access the Volunteer Approval Form. We appreciate our volunteers!
This is the link to view your child's grades and attendance. Passwords were sent home with progress reports. If you need any help with this process, you may send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school office.