Team 105 Friday Fill-In
Holiday Party and Thank you!
I would also like to thank each and everyone of you who thought of me before the Holidays and sent in a thoughtful gift or a donation of money for the class gift! I felt very lucky! :)
Below are some pictures from our class party! Enjoy!
January 19th - 22nd
- NO SCHOOL MONDAY!
TUESDAY January 19th: CE Spirit Day
show your school spirit from Head to Toe
WEDNESDAY January 20th: Mix Match Day
how can you mix up your clothes today?
THURSDAY January 21st: Twin Day
find someone else to dress alike with, or maybe you dress up like your favorite teacher would!
FRIDAY January 22nd: Favorite Movie Character Day
Dress like your favorite movie or movie character day!
**Friday is also MOVIE NIGHT! Mark your calendars for 6pm - MINIONS in gym.
Readers Read Informational Text with Power by...
- Previewing the text before reading by paying attention to text features
- Tapping into prior knowledge to find out what we already know about the text
- Predicting what we think the text will teach us
- Pausing and paraphrasing what the text says by putting it into our own words then TEACHING what we just learned to our Reading Partner
- Readers locate the main idea with key details from the text
- Readers notice new information about the idea that was introduced and fit it into their thinking
- Readers can become experts on a topic and teach others
Locating the main idea in a text, section or paragraph is a big concept! This is something great to work on with your son/daughter at home. You can refer to the pictures for some of the ways Team 105 Readers remember how to find the main idea in their text.
1. Do I know enough information to write an entire story?
2. Do I enjoy this topic enough?
Writers will start drafting their stories next week!
- Understanding multiplication is the inverse of division
- Division is repeated subtraction
Today in your son/daughter's blue folder, you will notice a multiplication packet + an answer key. This packet is not homework and does not need to come back to school. The packet represents the different types of strategies Team 105 has been using to show their thinking about multiplication. Since our focus for the next few weeks will be towards division, reinforcing these strategies at home will be helpful to your child. However, by now your child should feel secure with these strategies. Therefore, practicing math facts at home is a great idea. You will notice the "Mathematician's Magic Tricks for Multiplication" chart below, these are some great mental tips for your son/daughter when solving facts.
This week's focus:
Connecting multiplication to division using fact families, equal groups and understanding what division means. In the pictures below, you can see our first "thoughts" on what division looks like and what it means.
Leader in Me
Last week's focus: Habit 4 "Think-Win-Win"This week's focus: Habit 5 "Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood"
Odds and Ends...
- Supply box refill: It has come to my attention that many of our "supplies" are missing, especially scissors! Please check with your son/daughter to see if they need any supplies refilled in their box. In the classroom, I have glue sticks, crayons, markers, colored pencils, erasers and pencils available. However, pencil donations to room 105 are always helpful (since those tend to go "missing" the most)! Thanks!
- Donations: If you are interested in donating to our classroom: we are running low on paper towel and disinfectant wipes! If you would like to donate, please send in the supplies with your son/daughter! Thank you SO much in advance!!
- Please remember there is NO school on Monday!
Open Door Policy
Also, please make sure to check your student's blue folder. I have been sending back a good amount of assignments since the beginning of the new year and I know sometimes things can get lost in the transition from school to home!
Some things to look out for:
- Classwork assignments
- Graded (S,D,B) assignments
- Math Menu + Concept Checks
I am so lucky to work each day with such a unique and amazing group of Leaders, Learners and Kids!!
I hope you have a fun-filled and relaxing weekend! As always, please contact me with any questions/concerns!