@HSD Health Update
June 7, 2021
PK-12 Masking Guidance Update
- Masks are no longer required outdoors for any person, regardless of vaccination status, including before, during, and after-school events/activities (PE, recess, etc). We encourage at least three feet of physical distancing outside, when feasible.
- Masks remain mandatory in school buildings for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, through June 18. This mandate will also likely apply during HSD Summer Programs (e.g. ESY, Summer Enrichment), though we are awaiting updated guidance from the NJDOH.
- An individual may choose to continue to wear a mask outdoors.
- During large gatherings (e.g. graduation, promotion events), spectators are encouraged to maintain three feet of physical distancing outside of one's family group.
It's Getting Hot Out There!
Help Your Student Prevent the Effects of Extreme Heat:
- Stay hydrated-- Encourage your children to drink water regularly and have it readily available, even before they ask for it!
- Dress lightly--Dress your children in clothing that is light-colored, lightweight, and limited to one layer of absorbent material that will maximize the evaporation of sweat.
Thankfully, all of the indoor spaces in our buildings have air conditioning!
Windows? Fans? Air Conditioning?
- While our staff is directed to open windows, doing so when the temperature is high can significantly impact the learning environment.
- As a result, we have directed our staff to have windows open to the greatest extent without compromising the learning environment.
- Even with windows close on hot days, our systems push in 20% fresh air above the required 10% by NJ Building Code.
- Wall fans should not run as they simply push around air and aid in spreading airborne contaminants.
COVID vs. Vax Reaction?
Symptomatic for longer than 48 hours after the COVID-19 vaccine?
Call your healthcare provider for further evaluation.
Household members may need to stay home if COVID-19 testing is required.
Return to school with written medical clearance.