STAAR Redesign Virtual Trainings from TEA
Texas educators played an important role over the past two years in helping to shape the redesigned State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®), which will be implemented in Spring 2023. The redesigned STAAR, a result of House Bill (HB) 3906 passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in 2019, will align more closely with effective classroom instruction. The redesign includes several components:
- New types of test questions: New, non-multiple-choice question types are more like the kinds of questions teachers ask in class and give students more ways to show understanding.
- More cross-curricular reading passages: Reading comprehension test questions reference topics students have learned about in other classes.
- Evidence-based writing incorporated into reading language arts tests: Combined reading and writing tests better support the interconnected way these subjects are taught and eliminate stand-alone writing tests for grades 4 and 7.
- Robust accommodations in online tests: The online testing platform provides a full suite of robust accommodations for students with specific learning needs.
- Tests administered online: Online testing supports all the changes above and will provide faster test results in future years to support accelerated learning. The transition to online testing will be implemented beginning with the December 2022 administration.
There are multiple opportunities for educators to learn about the STAAR redesign, and all educators are encouraged to participate in at least one opportunity. Educators can receive CPE credit hours for participating in any of the following training opportunities, each of which cover the same STAAR redesign content:
- An interactive professional development session facilitated by your district or regional education service center (ESC) using TEA-provided materials.
- Online training modules hosted in the Student Assessment Learning Management System that can be completed on your own schedule. Please reach out to your district’s testing coordinator if you need access to the learning management system.
- Live STAAR redesign webinars hosted by TEA from November 28–December 2, 2022, which cover the same information educators will receive in trainings offered by their ESC or district.
Registration links for TEA webinars are bulleted below:
TEA Available Materials
Carnegie Learning Texas Math Solution includes textbooks and digital instructional materials that work in parallel to engage middle and high school students while delivering powerful, real-time insights for teachers and administrators to ensure students master the content. Teachers gain digital access to clearly articulated, coherent TEKS-aligned modules with daily lesson plans, ongoing formative assessment opportunities, and summative topic assessments. Carnegie Learning Texas Math Solution guides help educators, students, and caregivers make the most of the product.