Ferndale Middle Weekly Update
August 15 - August 19
Week of January 3 - January 6
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
This is your proud principal, Ms. Kinard, with your weekly updates and announcements.
Happy New Year, Trojan Nation! We are excited to welcome our students back Wednesday, January 4th. Please remember we ask that students arrive by 8:20 am each morning. Student are considered late after that time. We thank you for your help getting students to school and on time each day. However, as we come back from the holidays there have been reports of an uptick in cold, flu, and COVID-19. We want your student at school, but only if they are symptom free. Please contact the office if your student needs to be out due to illness.
This Week in Sports
Please check out our School Calendar on our website for more details about sports.
We are doing everything we can as a district and a school to ensure the ongoing safety of our students. What you can do is:
If your student is sick, kindly keep them at home. Students who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms should stay home on day five and take the COVID-19 test.
Please contact the school immediately if you suspect or can confirm that your student has COVID-19 by calling 336-819-2855 or emailing Ms. Pierce.
From Our Trojan PTA
Chick-Fil-A night is on January 9th from 5-8 p.m. at the N. Main location. Please join us for dinner and help get our fundraising going!! The school will receive 15% of all meals purchased on this day between the hours of 5-8 p.m., and don't forget to mention you are with our Trojan Team!! Can’t wait to see you all there!
The next PTA meeting will be on January 12th, in the Media Center, from 6-7.
January at FMS
This Month is:
January 10 - NWEA Testing (Math)
January 11 - NWEA Testing (Reading)
January 12 - FMS PTA Meeting (6pm - 7pm in the Media Center)
January 16 - MLK Day (No School)
January 17 -19 - GCS Interim Assessments
January 25 - FMS Picture Day (Make Up Photos)
January 26 - End of Quarter 2
January 27 - Teacher Workday
2022 - 2023 FMS Administrative Team
Each member of our administrative team is responsible for supporting a specific grade level.
- Ms. Wilson - 6th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Russell - 7th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Garnett - 8th Grade Administrator
Ms. Kinard - FMS Building Principal
FMS Dress Code
The school dress code will be strictly enforced.
Here are some of the highlights of our policy:
- All tops must cover the entire midsection and extend past the waistband.
- All tank tops must have at least a two-inch strap.
- Spaghetti strap tops, tube tops, backless shirts/dresses, halter, and crop tops are not allowed.
- Dresses, skirts, rompers, and shorts must extend past the wearer’s fingertips when standing. This includes athletic running shorts.
- Pants, shorts, and skirts must be worn at the waist and secured.
- Spandex shorts and/or biker shorts must be worn with long shirts or shorts over top.
- No holes/rips in inappropriate places will be allowed in any clothing. There can be no holes/rips in clothing above the knee unless the student wears leggings or tights under them.
- At no time can undergarments be visible.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- No bandanas, bonnets, durags, sunglasses, blankets, or sleepwear of any kind are allowed inside the buildings during the school day.
- Student hoods or hoodies are at the teacher’s discretion, but headphones or earbuds under hoodies is prohibited.
- Sleepwear is not permitted at school. This includes but is not limited to pajamas, pajama pants, slippers, bedroom shoes, and hair bonnets.
The school administration and staff reserve the right to make determinations about the appropriateness of student dress even if it is not specifically listed in the dress code.
For more information please review the FMS Student Handbook.
We believe our scholars are capable of excellence and will hold them to a high standard for academics and behavior.
We are preparing our students for greatness, starting with academics, a positive attitude, and appropriate behavior as described in the GCS Code of Conduct and the FMS Student Handbook.
This year, GCS is going digital with its student handbook. The handbook is located online at www.gcsnc.com under Quick Links. It is also on our school's webpage under the student tab.