Unit 3 ExamReview
Let's Do This!
Every group that finishes the exercise and reports back to the main room with their answers by the end of class earns each person 5 extra credit points!
Work with you partner to answer each question. When you are finished move yourselves back to the main room.
- The first person in the room is in charge of starting the discussion and for reporting questions 1 &2. Introduce yourselves first and then get started.
- The second person in the room is responsible for reporting answers 3-8,
- The third person answers 9-14,
- The forth person answers 15-20.
- If someone in the room isn't responding or helping message Ms. Piotrowski or Mrs. VanHorn. They will be moved to the MIA room. If someone is removed from your room you will have to divide their questions among yourselves.
- When you are finished move yourselves back to the main room and give us a green check.
Watch the Review Video and Take Notes.
You can use the notes on your test!
Fine Art Course B: UNIT 3 TEST REVIEW
What structural characteristic made Joseph Paxton's Crystal Palace unconventional?
What characteristic of the daguerreotype does Louis Daguerre capture in The Artist's Studio?
Which of the following statements is an example of Realism in French artist Rosa Bonheur's Plowing in the Nivernais: The Dressing of the Vines?
- It depicts an everyday, contemporary scene without idealization.
- It portrays a literary subject by using accurate, lifelike detail.
- It is inspired by the realistic art of Classical painters and sculptors.
- It places the real subject of the story concealed in the background.
Which statement describes The Gleaners by French Realist and Naturalist Jean-François Millet?
- The figures were taken from mythological sources but rendered with lifelike detail.
- The figures are painted as they really appeared, with the solid shapes and earthy colors.
- The figures are real people, but painted with colors from Millet's imagination.
- The figures were realistically modeled after Millet's friends who posed for him in his studio.
Which of the following is a characteristic of American Realist painter Henry Ossawa Tanner's The Thankful Poor?
- Dramatic light and shadow create mood and convincing space in a scene of contemporary life.
- The pyramid configuration creates compositional balance and harmony.
- Tenebrism enhances the contrast between the figures and the background and to add drama to the scene.
- Atmospheric perspective creates the illusion of depth.
Which statement best describes French Impressionist painter Claude Monet's approach to painting?
- Monet painted a subject multiple times, under different lighting and weather conditions.
- Monet used thin, transparent paint to create carefully blended tonal values.
- Monet made sketches outdoors, before completing the finished painting in his studio.
- Monet used the camera obscura as a sketch tool, to record landscape compositions.
What type of subject matter did French Impressionist painters such as Pierre-Auguste Renoir depict?
What characteristic of Impressionism did American artist Mary Cassatt use in Mother Combing Her Child's Hair?
What characteristic of Japanese woodblock prints did French Impressionist artist Edgar Degas use in Four Dancers?
How did French Post-Impressionist artist Georges Seurat create a unique optical effect in A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte?
Which of the following is a characteristic of French Post-Impressionist painter Paul Cézanne's Mont Sainte-Victoire?
How does Ia Orana Maria by Post-Impressionist artist Paul Gauguin convey emotion?
How does Wheatfield with Crows by Post-Impressionist artist Vincent van Gogh show the threat of a coming storm?
Which of the following is a characteristic of Auguste Rodin's sculpture Burghers of Calais?
- The sculpture's smooth marble surface creates subtle shadows and highlights.
- The figures are arranged in a pyramid configuration.
- The variations in surface texture capture movement and emotion.
- The figures convey identical facial expressions.
How does Norwegian painter Edvard Munch's painting The Scream reflect Symbolist conventions?
Which characteristic of Art Nouveau did Victor Horta incorporate into the interior spaces of his buildings?
Which of the following conventions of Art Nouveau did Louis Comfort Tiffany use in Magnolias and Irises?
- nonrepresentational color that has symbolic meaning
- dabbed color that captures a quick impression of a subject
- curvilinear lines and organic shapes drawn from the natural world
- geometric lines and shapes that imitate machine-made goods
Which pair of statements best describes a difference between Realist and Impressionist painting?
- Impressionist painters mixed their paint by hand; Realist painters used paint in tubes.
- Impressionist painters used smooth, detailed brushstrokes; Realist painters used dabs of paint.
- Impressionist painters mixed paint on a palette; Realist painters did not blend their colors.
- Impressionist painters applied pure color to canvas; Realist painters mixed paint on a palette.
In what way are these paintings of Impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir and those of Post-Impressionist Vincent van Gogh similar?
Great Job, you are finished!
Now move yourselves back to the main room and show us a green check. Be ready to report your answers!