Carver Middle School Newsletter
February 28, 2021
Greetings Carver Cougars!
Hopefully everyone had a great week. Thank you everyone for being so responsive in communicating your plans to return to school. This information is critical in helping us to prepare for our return to in-person instruction. We will have several updates for you next week as plans are being finalized based on our return to learning numbers.
It was great seeing many of you virtually in our scheduling meetings this week as well as those of you who came to the school building for picture day. We have updates below to support you in both of these processes.
As you may be aware, March is Women's History month. Please encourage your student to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance. We will acknowledge a pioneer in women's history daily following the pledge in March.
Thank you very much and please see the updates below.
Have a great week.
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Hidden Figures Week 1 Winners
Thank you to everyone who is participating in our school -wide read of Hidden figures. Every Friday our librarian will host a contest for a prize. The winners of the Hidden Figures activity from last Friday are:
These winners will receive a prize later in the week from the library delivery team! Congratulations, and thank you for participating and completing the activity. Another activity will be posted on Friday for everyone. We look forward to sharing more chapters with you this week.
Hidden Figures Updated Download
Unfortunately we received the incorrect edition of Hidden Figures from the publisher last week. Please share the directions below with your student to download the young readers version of the text tomorrow, 3/1/21.
The download will be not be available until 7:15 a.m. on Monday March 1, 2021.
1.Open Mackin Via with the icon on their Rapid Identity dashboard.
2. Click the blue backpack circle beside their name or ID number at the top of the screen.
3. Click "class sets" from the drop down menu.
4. Enter "482AHX" in the code box.
5. When they hit "enter" the new YOUNG READER'S EDITION of Hidden Figures should appear. That's the correct edition we'll be using now We are reading chapter 4 and 5 (page 26-36) today.
Grade 8 Writing SOL Survey
8th Grade Parents. You have the option to opt your child out of the Writing SOL. If you would like to opt your child out of this SOL for the Spring 2021 administration, please complete the form below to communicate your wishes.
Grade 8 Writing SOL Survey
Message from Candid Color
It was great seeing so many of you during picture day this week. Please see the updated message from Candid Color below:
Parents can view and order their students' portraits 2-3 weeks after photos are taken. Each student will have a personal photo gallery assigned along with an access code. Parents can request the access code from Candid Color by going to our website at www.candidcolor.net and clicking on the access code request link at the bottom of the page.
Below is information for viewing and ordering online:
Go to www.candidcolor.net
Click on Underclass Portraits
Enter Student's Individual Access Code
Log in or create an account for the menu with the ordering options to appear.
Click on the desired package, fill in the required fields and add to your shopping cart.
Upon completion of the checkout process, you will receive a 6-digit order number for confirmation along with a link for payment.
Thank you to everyone who joined our scheduling sessions last week. As you are aware, the scheduling window was scheduled to close on Friday, 2/26/2021. Counselors are working back to address a few classes who were missed because of inclement weather earlier this month.
If you have not done so, please log onto Studentvue to update your child's schedule as soon as possible. Please reach out to your student's counselor if you have scheduling questions regarding the 2021-2022 school year.
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Virtual IMPROV Show Comes to Carver MS!
Updated CMS 2020-2021 Yearbook Flyer
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Please us the following to upload your own pictures to the yearbook:
Link to upload photos:
If you are prompted to enter a User ID, your user ID is 415793944
Or you may send photos to: email@example.com
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Middle School Sports Update
As middle schools prepare for our students to return to in-person learning on March 9, the Middle School Athletic Council has begun preparations for some athletics and extracurricular activities. In order to be eligible for an athletic activity, students must have a valid VHSL physical, dated after May 1, 2020, and a signed concussion awareness sheet. Students enrolled in any of the learning options, in-person, virtual, or CCPSOnline, will be eligible to participate. Students must be currently enrolled in at least 5 courses and must have passed at least 5 courses from the first semester to be eligible. More information will be provided closer to when our students return to in-person instruction.
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
CCPS Online also has courses available for the summer of 2021 and all of these courses require a fee. Registration for summer courses begins on March 1. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23. EDMS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Wells Athletic Association
- March 8- Asynchronous Learning Day
March 9- Cohort Four Students return to in-person instruction!
April 2-9- Spring Break
Dr. Jones' Scheduling Updates for Future TDHS Knights
Course Offerings & Selections...
This is the time of year when students and their families, along with their teachers and counselors, begin making decisions about their courses for next year. On January 19, StudentVue will open and students will be allowed to make their selections regarding their classes for next school year.
Prior to selecting their courses, we want our students and families well-informed. For your reference, here is the timeline:
- Registration Knight (12/9)
- Information Sessions with Students regarding course selections (January or February)
- High School counselors will conduct virtual scheduling meetings with the middle schools and students will select their courses for the 2021-2022 school year...
- Carver Middle School...February 12th
I am extremely excited to release our Course Offering Sheet for 2021-2022!!! You will notice 5 tabs at the top. One for each grade level and a Career Cluster and Pathways tab. Please dig in and explore what we offer and align your child's future to their present!
Students may apply at: https://coderva.org/
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!