The Bulldog Bark
Great Attendance is one of the most important things we can teach our children. If a person has great attendance and an awesome attitude, everything else takes care of itself. Please read over our District Attendance Policy and Kentucky State Law below:
- Any absence or tardy, regardless of the length of time, is considered an attendance event.
- Students are allowed 4 parent notes per semester. (Fall semester: August to December Spring semester: January to May)
- When a student has accumulated 4 parent notes in a semester, further absences are only excused with a valid excuse such as a doctor’s note.
- Written notes (parent/guardian and/or doctor’s notes) for absences must be submitted to the school within 3 school days of the absences. It is the student’s responsibility to get the note to the appropriate person at school.
- Students who arrive at school late or leave early are considered tardy. Without a valid excuse, the tardy will be unexcused.
- When a student is tardy, the parent/guardian must come in to the school office to sign in the student. Students cannot be dropped off and enter the school without a parent/guardian.
- Medical appointments
- Death, funeral or severe illness in student’s immediate family
- Approved school trip
- Summons to appear in court
- Other valid reasons as determined by the school principal
- A statement from a medical system, dentist, the judicial system or county health department will be required for any absences and/or tardies after 4 parent notes have been used.
Absences before or after a scheduled holiday, fall, winter, or spring break, or senior prom are unexcused absences unless excused by a doctor or the absence is deemed an emergency. Parent notes are not accepted.
Truancy KRS 159.150
- Any student who has been absent from school without a valid excuse for 3 or more days, or tardy without a valid excuse for 3 or more days, is a truant. Any student who has been reported as a truant 2 or more times is a habitual truant.
- For the purpose of establishing a student’s status as a truant, the student’s attendance record is cumulative for an entire school year.
- Students who are habitual truants are subject to a truancy petition being filed through the Court Designated Worker’s (CDW) office. An Educational Neglect Petition may also be filed on the student’s parent/guardian.
South Middle School
Hours 7:55 a.m. – 3:25 p.m.
Report all absences to SMS via phone, fax, or note.
Telephone - 270-831-5050
Fax Number - 270-831-5058
HCS Student Services Staff
- Steve Steiner 270-831-5000 Assistant Superintendent of Administration
- Kasey Farmer 270-854-0143 Director of Pupil Personnel
- Kelly Hazelwood 270-854-0142 Attendance Specialist (Grades K-8)
- Jana Spainhoward 270-854-0141 Attendance Data Tech
** PLEASE SCHEDULE ALL TRIPS AND VACATIONS DURING THE DESIGNATED SCHOOL CALENDAR BREAKS.
*** MOST TRIPS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AN EDUCATIONAL ENHANCEMENT ABSENCE.
High Attendance Day September 20
Back to School Dance Friday September 7
Concessions will be open: pizza, drinks, candy, and more
FREE Photo Booth
❌ You CANNOT stay after school!
Enter through the library doors
Uniforms are NOT required!!! Follow our “free dress day” dress code.
‼️ SMS STUDENTS ONLY
***All dances are supervised by SMS administration and staff.
Buy a Yearbook for $20 Before Christmas! Turn Your Money into Ms. Clark in Room B-13 With An Order Form!
Christmas Assistance Program 2018
Henderson County Schools Family Resource (FRC) and Youth Service Centers (YSC) will be starting a new Christmas program for the 2018 Christmas season.
In order to receive Christmas assistance you will be required to:
- Attend application day
- Keep your interview time or call to reschedule (times will be scheduled on Sept. 5)
- Qualify under the income guidelines
- Obtain points by completing the green “Parent Opportunity” form (minimum of 45 points are required)
When: September 5, 2018
Time: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Where: Professional Development Center; 631 N. Green Street Henderson, KY 42420
Interviews will be scheduled for September 10-14, 2018
If you are unable to attend application day you will need to contact Youth Service Center Coordinator, J.D. Ardnt, to set up an interview time during September 10-14, 2018. Coordinators will not be conducting anymore Christmas interviews after September 14th. ONLY under emergency circumstances will new application be considered. Failure to attend your scheduled interview will result in loss of eligibility for Christmas assistance.
We ask that you only apply if you truly need Christmas assistance.
This will be the Christmas Assistance Program for 2018. We will not be taking any names after September 14, 2018.
Parent/Teacher Conferences Thursday, September 13
Scholastic Book Fair September 10-14
Be sure to check out our Scholastic Book Fair September 10-14 in the SMS Media Center. Great books for great price! Help your child meet their AR goal! Parents can buy online also: http://www.scholastic.com/bf/southmiddleschool7
Family night at the book fair will be Thursday, Sept. 13 open until 6:30pm during Parent/ Teacher Conferences. Hope to see you there!
Please know these dates and work to get your AR goal this first marking period!
50% of AR Goal Due
50% Free Dress Day (Must have 82% Accuracy with 50% of Goal by Deadline)
100% of AR Goal due
100% Free Dress Day (Must have 82% Accuracy with 100% of Goal by Deadline)
Technology Tips for Parents
Fall Sport Schedules--Come Support our Bulldogs!
Fall Break is October 8-12
Stay up to date on all your grades and assignments! Check to see if you have any missing work!