Crow Wing County 4-H
January 23, 2023
Developing relationships with and around young people is at the core of our strategy and program philosophy. Yet often we miss opportunities to express true caring because of the demands surrounding us.
Extension colleague Karen Beranek expresses these thoughts and shares her own story in our Youth Development Insight blog. We encourage you to read along, and share your story in the comments.
Volunteer Openings: Project Workshop Instructors
Our youth want to try new things! Share your passion for any topic by planning a workshop or learning series for youth. Work directly with 4-H staff to plan the learning experience that fits your passion, availability, and preferred age audience.
Location: Crow Wing County
Project areas: your choice! Share your favorite hobby, or knowledge from your career, or try something new Project Day is planned for April 8 from 9:30-12:30 pm at the Land Services Building.
Number of roles available: 3
Preparation and training: 30-minute online learning module and direct staff support
Fruit and Meat Fundraiser
All orders can be placed online this year, including meat AND 50% of the profits are given back to the clubs to be used for scholarships, educational programming, social activities, etc.
Orders can be placed through February 13th with a delivery date of March 25th.
This is our largest fundraiser; Our county has set a goal to sell $35,000 in products this year!
Please reach out to the Extension office with questions.
10th Annual Chick Chain Program, Check this out!
Interested in learning more about backyard chickens? The Poultry 4-H Club is hosting its 10th annual Chick Chain Program.
The Chick Chain Program is designed to give an opportunity for new and existing 4-H members, including Cloverbuds, to learn more about raising backyard chickens. Youth have an opportunity to learn life skills while having fun learning about chickens and the poultry industry.
Now in its 10th year, the 4-H Poultry Club will be awarding 10 egg-laying chicks (likely red or black sexlink birds) for eligible 4-H participants that qualify for the program. Chicks will be purchased from a reputable hatchery.
Registration and fee must be received by February 10, 2023.
Read more and register here: https://z.umn.edu/2023ChickChain
Market Beef Animal ID due February 15th, 2023
4-H Beef Families,
It’s time to start working with your 4-H market beef project. We hope you find this project both challenging and rewarding. You will need to identify all 4-H market beef projects including market steers, market heifers, and dairy steers. All market beef MUST be owned, tagged with a MN 4-H ear tag, and identified by February 15, 2023. Breeding heifers, cow/calf pairs, and prospect calves (steers and heifers) must be owned or leased, tagged or tattooed, and identified by May 15, 2023. Please note that Cloverbuds do not need to identify beef animals at this time.
Zooming into Wildlife
Statewide offering | grades 4+
Calling all wildlife lovers - registration is now open for another round of Zooming Into Wildlife! This unique series will give youth the opportunity to use a trail camera while meeting weekly over Zoom to share their photos, plus hear from engaging guest speakers.
Learn more at z.umn.edu/2023ZoomingIntoWildlife
Register at z.umn.edu/4-HZoomingIntoWildlife2023Reg
4-H Intro to filmmaking
Statewide offering | grades 3+
Let’s get started in filmmaking! If you’re in grades 3-13 and enjoy making TikToks, creating animation, or editing film together, this online program is a fantastic way to meet like-minded youth and connect them to adults who can help them develop their skills. Learn more and register at z.umn.edu/intro2film
4-H Arts and Crafts
Create your next masterpiece with 4-H Arts & Crafts! Each week, we'll highlight and practice a style of art. We look forward to seeing you there! Registration starts December 6, and closes on January 23. Classes are held virtually via Zoom, on Mondays, and are open to Grades K-5. Cost is free. https://z.umn.edu/WinterArtsCrafts
Crow Wing County 4-H Yearly Calendar
Access the Yearly Calendar events HERE.
- Baxter Sandpipers 4-H Club | Thursday, February 2, 2023, from 6:30-8:00 pm | Northland Arboretum
- NW BLU and TEEL | Saturday, February 4-Sunday, February 5, 2023 | Castaway Club, Detroit Lakes
- Northern Reins 4-H Club | Monday, February 6, 2023, from 6:30-8:00 pm | Location TDB
- Poultry 4-H Club | Tuesday, February 7, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 pm | Brainerd Public Library
- Long Lake Beavers 4-H Club | Wednesday, February 8, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 pm | Brainerd Public Library
- Cloverbud Project Day | Saturday, February 11, 2023, from 10:00-11:30 am | Land Services Building
- Black Bear 4-H Club | Sunday, February 12, 2023 | Tubing @ Mount Ski Gull
- Pequot Lakes 4-H Club | Sunday, February 12, 2023 | Tubing @ Mount Ski Gull
- Last day for Fruit and Meat Sales | Monday, February 13th
- Daggett Brook 4-H Club | Monday, February 13, 2023, from 6:30-8:00 | Daggett Brook Town Hall
- Cuyuna Range Miners 4-H Club | Thursday, February 16, 2023, from 6:00-7:30 pm | Location TBD
- General PDC | Tuesday, February 21, 2023, from 6:00-7:30 pm | Land Services Building
- Local Ambassadors | Thursday, February 23, 2023, from 6:30-8:15 pm | Extension office
- State Ambassadors Applications Open | Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Events and news are separated into county items and regional/statewide items. Please click on each of the links to view county and statewide events.
Events in Crow Wing County – calendar of events
Statewide news - learn about what's going on across Minnesota
Extension Office/Window Hours
Monday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
Tuesday: No office/window hours
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm
Friday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm