May 15, 2022
Last week the Green Team hosted a Garden Event on the playground and it was spectacular. Thanks to all the volunteers helping to make these wonderful events happen. With the recent increase in Covid cases in our region, we ask that you take precautions to stop the spread of COVID. Please keep your child home if they are sick. Masks are still optional but encouraged while inside. Thank you for your support with this.
- 1 - 20: PTA fundraising, keep our PTA strong!
- 30: Memorial Day (no school)
Advanced Learning Decisions
If you have questions about the advanced learning decisions, please reach out to your child's teacher. If you would like to appeal, click here: https://www.seattleschools.org/departments/advanced-learning/eligibility/appeals/.
Keep our PTA strong!
Even though we’ve taken a couple-year break from fundraising, our John Rogers PTA has continued to support our teachers and families.
Before COVID-era school, the PTA paid for many things like;
- field trips
- school supplies / back-to-school supplies for every student.
- school-wide events (Heritage Night, STEM Night, Fall Festival, Movie Nights, etc.)
- 5th grade camp and so much more!
- Staff Appreciation Events!
As we move towards a more “normal” school year, we’ll need more funds for activities that stimulate and enrich our students’ educations.
For the last two years, the PTA’s biggest expenditures have been:
- Teacher Discretionary Fund: Each teacher has a fund for supplies, used for items not covered in the school district’s budget
- PTA Grants: Staff or community members apply for funding for class or community projects.
- Family Emergency Fund: Helps families meet needs not met by other programs. Need has been much greater throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. PTA has purchased things like grocery gift cards that get distributed by the school (Andrea Bergan).
Our PTA has been supporting our community and now it needs the community’s support. You can help keep our PTA financially strong and able to support our staff and students with a gift to the John Rogers community!
When: May 1-20th, 2022
How to donate: PayPal link: paypal.me/JohnRogersElementary ,or, write a check to the school and send in with your student: John Rogers Elementary PTA.
Monitor our progress on our website: https://johnrogerspta.org/about-our-pta-2/fundraising/
Questions: Email Julia Julia.email@example.com
Jewish Heritage Month and Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month - message from our Diversity and Inclusion Team
The month of May is Jewish Heritage Month and Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month. As part of John Rogers Diversity and Inclusion Team’s anti-bias work, we would like to call our school community to action.
Here are ways you can honor and learn more of AAPI Heritage:
Read books that explore Asian American and Pacific Island heritage or feature an Asian American and Pacific Islander character:
Preschool/K-1: Ohana Means Family by Ilima Loomis, The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi, Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao by Kat Zhang, Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando by Andrea Wang, Every Night is Pizza Night by J. Kenji López-Alt, A Sari for Ami by Mamta Nainy, and Eyes That Kiss in the Corners by Joanna Ho
Grades 2/3: The Mindy Kim Series by Lyla Lee
Grades 4/5: Dash (Dogs of World War II) by Kirby Larson
Visit the following local museums and centers: The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Washington, The Wing Luke Museum, and Seattle Asian Art Museum
According to Stop AAPI Hate, there have been over 9,000 reports of hate and violence against the AAPI community between March 2020 and June 2021. The following guide provides us the tools to learn alongside our children about stopping Asian American and Pacific Islander hate:
The month of May is Jewish Heritage Month. Please see the two previous newsletters for action items.
Did you know that 1 in 4 American Jews experienced antisemitism in the last year? The following guide provides us the tools to learn alongside our children about antisemitism
Field Day is back! Wednesday, June 15th. 8:50-10:50am
That’s an early release Wednesday. We need your help to make it happen. Super fun!
Please see sign-up genius to volunteer. Thank you, Go Otter's!
Creative Advantage Committee Updates!
- Mama Afua has invited a group of John Rogers students to perform at Folklife this year to perform a West African song and dance Fanga!
- A big thank you to the JR PTA for arts funding that will allow us to welcome Chris Daigre back for a Jazzy June this year as all grades will have a chance to learn more about Jazz dance.
- Finally, the 5th graders will have the special opportunity to work on improvisation and theatre skills with Tracy Hiland starting in June.
ALL-SCHOOL RECORDED ASSEMBLY FROM APRIL 4, 2022
WATCH above link as it's very sweet! A video link of our May assembly performance to come!
SAVE THE DATE - final virtual PTA meeting for this school year - June 7TH at 7pm
*Would you like to get involved with other parents supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our school community? The John Rogers parent DEI team meets monthly. All are welcome to attend. Please email parent Apurva firstname.lastname@example.org or Tricia email@example.com for information including meeting date and link, meeting minutes and/or join the email list.
*Help with morning and afternoon car door opening and playground help
Contact Mr.Ostbye if you're interested in helping students from their cars in the morning, into their cars in the afternoon or helping students being kind, safe and responsible on the playground.
*Join Jennifer Fliss as co-secretary of the PTA next year! The PTA will have an opening as the PTA co-secretary next school year 2022-2023 and it is a shared position on the PTA Board. Responsibilities are primarily focused on notetaking during meetings. For more information, or if you're interested, email: John Rogers PTA <firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
*In the next school year, 2022-23 there will be a handful of PTA positions open. Please contact the PTA for more information of how you can help our school! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The PTA would love to have your help! Please email email@example.com if you would like to help our school community.
We love our volunteers and prior to volunteering please complete the SPS required volunteer online application and allow for 2+ weeks for processing and approval. More information: Volunteer Application Process - Seattle Public Schools (seattleschools.org)
Further questions, email Michelle in the JRE office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN OUR PTA!
BECOME A PTA MEMBER TODAY!
*Memberplanet charges a small service fee ($0.59)*
PTA GROUP ON FACEBOOK John Rogers PTA Facebook page
Helpful source to post questions/concerns and receive school information. Two membership questions required to join this private group. Thank you!
DID YOU KNOW THERE IS A WEBSITE ALL ABOUT THE JOHN ROGERS ELEMENTARY REBUILD?
Check it out to find out the latest updates on the upcoming rebuild of our school!
Building Leadership Team
- To function as a forum for discussion and resolution of issues
- To work towards consensus building in the school community
- To set goals and implement plans for JR that provide for family, staff, community and student involvement in appropriate aspects of school functioning
- To communicate to the JR staff and families suggestions and/or policy regarding the philosophy and focus of the instructional program at JRE, allowing staff to plan final implementation steps
- To consider suggestions and concerns of the staff and families in order to aid and advance the goals of JRE.
- To oversee the facilitation and development of the JRE school budget in conjunction with staff.
- To coordinate advocacy for the interest of JRE with Seattle Public Schools and larger community.
- TO work cooperatively with the PTA in furthering the goals and mission statement of JRE.
- The building leadership team meets once per month from 3PM -4PM.
If you are interested in serving on the Building Leadership Team, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Sign-up kids for summer Kids Bowl Free this summer!
Register your kids for free bowling games this summer at participating bowling alleys. More information (helpful video) and free registration here: Kidsbowlfree.com
Ms. B. in P.E. featured bowling in the gym and now you can sign-up your kids to use their new skills around Seattle at various bowling alleys this summer. Free!. Need more info? Email Ms. B: firstname.lastname@example.org
Message from Jane Addams Middle School PTSA board
Jane Addams Middle School PTSA nominating committee (https://jamsptsa.org/about/) is looking to fill various open board and committee positions for the upcoming 2022/2023 school year. We strongly encourage consideration of not only our incoming 6th grade families but also from those currently attending JAMS.
The JAMS PTSA board is committed to reflecting the diversity represented in our school community. (See our diversity statement here) We value the representation of our BIPOC, English language learners, and LGBTQIA+ community members. As a PTSA we are committed to inclusivity and making accommodations, so that it is easier for families to make this commitment. As such, we offer remote participation options, interpreters, translated materials, and onsite childcare. We will also consider structuring positions as co-chairs.
Please contact Sanjay Mishra (email@example.com) and also an OHE parent for more information.
Please see the complete list of 2022-2023 open positions and the description of each job by clicking here.