Hawk Eye News
Henderson Weekly Newsletter
February 16, 2016
Commit to Excellence - Positive Imagery
I hope that you enjoyed the long weekend and were able to make the most of every minute, whether it be working on your "to do" list or just chilling out. I hope that you got what you needed!
As we continue deep into the spring semester I am writing about positive imagery. One thing I know, is that we each only have control over ourselves. This includes our thoughts, interactions and how we handle each situation. Please be thinking about that as you read.
Are you a pessimist or an optimist? Is your glass half full or half empty? Do you see the bright side or the dark side?
Positive thinking just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way. You think the best is going to happen, not the worst.
If the thoughts that run through your head are mostly negative, your outlook on life is more likely pessimistic. If your thoughts are mostly positive, you're likely an optimist — someone who practices positive thinking.
I bring this up because the way we interact with each other and children is critical. We put the word "positive" on our contract for a reason. CKH and Conscious Discipline both require positive interactions including affirmations and good things as pieces to build the positive climate that is conducive to learning and collaborating. This is not just about children. The adults must be willing and able to collaborate and grow for the greater good.
Let's take a moment to reflect. Are you positive? Do you see the good in things and people? When decisions are made and information shared do you trust that it is the best for our kids? Or, do you question and complain? How do you react or interact with each other, children and parents? What do you post on facebook? Twitter? Is it positive about our school and the teaching profession? Let's commit to excellence by committing to positive imagery for our students, staff and school!
Remember, I believe in you. Believe in yourselves! Believe in your students!
Thank you to Mrs. Saenz and Ms. Castillo for picking up the snacks for our Parent Prep Academy.
Thank you to all staff for a smooth Valentine's Day, parties and all! From the cafeteria to dismissal, kids were excited, and you all did a great job keeping the excitement under control and manageable!
PRSP-Primary Reading Success Plan (K-2)
Failing Grades? Failing for the Year?
- The staff voluntary transfer application is up and running. I would ask that as a courtesy to me you please let me know if you are planning on trying to transfer so that I can make plans for next school year.
- REMINDER Staff pictures are first thing on Tuesday morning. Please be at school by 7:45am (regular reporting time!) to participate in the picture. ALL staff are asked to participate!!
- You should have received a schedule for class pictures for Tuesday. Please contact Linda for more information.
- ESL and Bilingual teachers-Please bring completed PLD folders to PLC on the 24th.
- Please mark your calendars for July 26, 27 and 28 for a Bryan ISD conference. A variety of professional development based on different needs will be provided. This will be a good option for earning TE days. There will be other options available this summer as well.
Mark Your Calendar!
2-19 Jump Rope for Heart
16-19 Book Fair
16 Spring Pictures (Classroom pictures will start at 9:30 after the Parent Prep)
Parent Prep Academy/2nd Grade Program/2nd Grade Art Show
17 Faculty Meeting-TELPAS Calibration
22 Big Kahuna Kick off and Henderson Harmonics 2:30pm
2/22 trough 3/8 Big Kahuna Spring Fundraiser
24 Conscious Discipline Refresher
27 Henderson Harmonics perform at the Empty Bowls
22-8 Big Kahuna Fundraiser
2 Faculty Meeting-Vertical Teams
4 Dr. Suess birthday/Book Character Parade
PTO Movie Night
Henderson Harmonics Perform at First Friday
9 Faculty Meeting
14-18 Spring Break
23 Faculty Meeting-CD
30 Faculty Meeting