Have I Made Myself Clear?
Assessment & Grading
Why do we need assessments and grades?
- Are you getting through to the students?
- Which concepts are they having trouble with?
- How are you going to revisit those concepts and make them clearer?
More on that here: http://www.edutopia.org/assessment-guide-importance << you know you want to click it!
- Keep grading consistent
- Show expectations
- Demonstrate skills to be gained
- Opportunity for self-assessment
More on that here: http://www.edutopia.org/assessment-guide-rubrics << fascinating stuff!
Types of Assessment
Do not let your grades define you
Letters are just letters...
Think about it!
Have you ever received a high grade in a class or on a project and walked away still feeling like you hadn't learned a whole lot?
Feel free to read the whole thing, but I chose it mostly for the first part "The Effects of Grading"
Maybe we should get rid of grades for individual assignments and have students evaluate themselves at the end of a term??
In the end...
Some things to think about:
- How can you use grades to help inform students rather than scare or punish them?
- How will you use different forms of assessment to see how your students are doing?
- How will you revisit the subject if you see an individual doesn't quite seem to get it? What if it's the majority of the class?
How will you know if you have made yourself clear?