January 20, 2023
In appreciation of our Lopez Island Parent Teacher Student Association (LIPTSA)
Dear LISD Families,
We would like to take this opportunity to recognize our LIPTSA. They are constantly working to make each year a great one for our students, staff, and families. So far this year, they have planned a great pumpkin carving event for K-12 families, organized volunteers to support lunchtime supervision, hosted family game night, and provided grants to teachers for special projects. Currently, they are planning a talent show for students and families in March and they made and sold vegetarian chili to raise money to help students get yearbooks at the end of the year.
We also appreciate their efforts to serve as a conduit of communication between families and school. If you are not already a member of the LIPTSA, we encourage you to sign-up. The LIPTSA has a goal of 100 members and they have nearly met that goal! Maybe you can be the next person to help them meet their goal! Join here: https://mp.gg/0cb9n
Please welcome the following new staff members to our LISD Team:
Gretchen Good - Elementary Literacy Interventionist
Gabrielle Hall - Elementary Literacy Interventionist
Whitney Parker-Klimpel - Elementary Literacy Interventionist
Mike Rosekrans - Paraeducator
BT Shaw - Elementary Literacy Interventionist
Be on the lookout in future newsletters for a brief feature on each of our new staff members.
All our best to you and your family,
Mary and Martha
News from our School Counselor, Jeanna Carter
Try a Trades Fair Event At Skagit Valley College
For: High School Students
What: Field trip to Skagit Valley College "Try a Trade Fair Event"
When: February 28.
Below is list of some of the trades available to learn about. . More will be added as they get confirmed.
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Power Technology
- Fire Protection Technology
- Allied Health
- Environmental Conservation
- Computer Science
Seating is limited. If you (or your child) is interested in attending the fair please respond to these questions either by email (email@example.com)
or in person to Jeanna. Your answer to these questions will be considered an application and intent to participate if selected. The selection of the participants will be based on availability and responses.
1) Why are you interested in attending the Try a Trade Fair?
2) How will learning more about a trade be meaningful to you?
News from Mr. Carter's Literacy
Reading the book: Titanic: Voices From the Disaster, by Deborah Hopkinson
Literacy 7 students have been reading the book, Titanic: Voices From The Disaster, by Deborah Hopkinson, which includes letters written by passengers on board the doomed ship; letters that were off-loaded in Ireland just before the Atlantic crossing. Students were asked to write their own versions, and given creative license with this assignment. Pictured are some samples of Lit 7 student responses, photographed by Mason Sather.
Please come support our student athletes
Come on out next week on Tuesday and Friday to cheer for the Lobos...4:30 girls, 6:00 boys. Friday is the last home game of the season. See you in the gym!
Dungeons & Dragons Players Unite!
High School Dance Tomorrow
Talent Show coming up this spring!
Update from Nurse Will
Good News for Students' Teeth:
A dental hygienist will come to the school on January 25th to do "smile checks" for K-12 students. It is a quick one-minute look in the mouth to check for cavities and/or infections. If it's determined that treatment is recommended, students will have the option of receiving treatment on April 27th-28th when the Snohomish County Mobile Dental Team comes to visit.
If you choose to have your student not participate in the "smile checks" an the opt out form was sent home with students last week and will need to be turned in to Nurse Will.
Become a Lopez Island School Employee!!!
Short-term, Long-term, part-time, full-time, daily, weekly... whatever you want, there is a position here for you!!!!!
Many of these positions qualify for Medical, Dental, Vision, & Retirement benefits, plus EAP and paid leave time (personal, sick, & vacation). Allocations are based on hourly commitment and classification.
· **NEW** Elementary Custodian - perfect for you if you like to work independently! This position helps to clean and maintain the Lopez Island school buildings. It is a daily position with flexibility in actual working hours (up to 7 per day) and schedule, starting in late January 2023.
· Literacy Interventionist - multiple positions are available fill the newly created position of Elementary Literacy Interventionist, working one-on-one or with small groups of students in grades 1, 2, and 3 to practice the fundamentals of literacy. This contract position runs for two 10-12 week sessions during the school year.
· ParaEducators - Interested in working with students individually, in small groups, and/or in general classrooms and helping assist teachers in modifying student behavior? Then Paraeducator is your dream job, and we have positions available!
· Special Needs Behavior Technician- If you have been thinking about being a Special Needs Behavior Technician for Lopez Island School District...well you are in luck!!!! We are looking for a Special Needs Behavior Technician to hire for this school year!! Behavior technicians are responsible for assisting behavior specialists and the Special Education department to implement behavior reduction and skill acquisition treatment plans. The candidate will assist students with day to day activities, monitor their behavior, record and collect data on students’ progress, and communicate with the team.
· Van Driver - Want to get out and see the island? This transportation position drives a wheelchair van (or another vehicle) to transport student(s) with special needs to and from school. This 3.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday.
· HI CAP - providing leadership of the Special Service Program for Highly Capable (HC) students, grades K-12, in the Lopez Island School District.
· Certificated Teachers
· Bus Drivers
You can see full postings on our website! Just go to District Info and then to HR and Employment for more details.
We look forward to working with you!!!
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Summer Hagge – email@example.com; Section 504, Mary Fordham – firstname.lastname@example.org; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.