Message from the Principal . . .
Many of you are aware about Mustang Bucks and how there are used to reinforce positive behavior at LWTHS. However, Mustang Bucks are only a small part of the plan of understanding and resolving undesirable student behaviors. Teachers under the guidance of PBS team, administered by Darlene Crete and coached by Dulcie Neiman, continuously engage collaboratively in understanding why a behavior is occurring and implementing strategies for preventing the behavior from occurring again. The goal is to decrease negative behaviors that lead to student referrals, absenteeism and drop-outs.
School-wide changes do not happen overnight and sometimes it takes years for changes to become noticeable; however, without the data it would be impossible to see the real impact of PBS. Noticeable trends that prove PBS is working include: the lowest number of out-school suspensions, highest attendance rate and graduation rate for LWTHS based on percentage in comparison to other local high schools.
Darlene Crete has created a video to share comparison discipline data from the 2013-2014 and the 2014-2015 school years.
Tech Tool Tuesday focused on iPad Tips and Tricks last week and time was ‘short’ so we will continue with a Part 2 next TTT, Tue, Nov 25th. For an update on what was covered in Part 1, please check out the website.
Spotlight on Strategies - STEM Completion: Using images as prompts for new learning concepts, students make predictions, provide a rationale, and make a personal connection. The original PDF version is here. My version using Padlet is here. Once the students have provided their input, further discussion can occur leading into new content material.
Global Education Conference - This online conference is available ‘live’ 24/7 from Mon, Nov 17th @12 noon through Fri, Nov 21st @12 noon. All sessions are archived as well. Take a peek at the schedule and see if there’s anything there for you to learn and share. Note - some of the sessions are in languages other than English - click on the on the session to get more information.
- Take Stock with Children mentors will be having lunch with LWTHS recipients on Monday, Nov. 17th from 10:15-11:15 a.m. in Cafe A.
- There will be an infrastructure computer test that 10th grade ELA teachers will be helping out with on Tuesday, Nov. 18th from 9:30-10:15 a.m. in Media Center lab and 4-326.
- Student Services will be hosting LWIT connections on Tuesday, Nov. 18th at 11:30 a.m. in Mustang Alley. It is during the adult lunch time. Dual-Enrollment instructors , since you will be back in class, participation is at your discretion.
- Champions for Learning will be hosting a breakfast for 200 community members on campus on Tuesday, November 18th, from 7:00 - 10:00 a.m. Some of the members are interested in a tour so be prepared for visitors in your classroom.
- The Pelican Bay Woman's League will be hosting a luncheon on Wednesday, November 19. Be prepared for a small group of ladies visiting your classroom.
- There is an upcoming "Modified Flipped Classroom to Increase Student Achievement" training Dec. 4, 4:30-6:00 p.m. at the MLK Administration Building. Register in HERO #437018 if you are interested.
- Skills USA Garage Sale will be held at Sue Stewart's home on 11/22/14 from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon. Her address is 111 Tanglewood Ct. (off Saint Andrews between Rt. 41 and Rattlesnake Road). If you would like to donate items see Chef Becca.
- LWTHS interim report card period ends November 18th and are being distributed to students November 25th. Make sure to get grades uploaded into e-Semblar in a timely manner. Adam Janowski will be sending out an email with timeline information.
- PLT Reflection forms are due November 30th. Let me know if you need any assistance.
KUDOS to . . .
- Jackie Hagerman, Joann Cassio, Nancy Turmelle, Eileen Schoenknect, Ariel Pechokas, Denise Duzick, Darlene Crete, and Jeff Rexford for representing LWIT/LWTHS at the Champions for Learning round table discussions at the Naples Grande on Monday.
- Chef Becca, Chef Geri and students for providing scrumptious appetizers at the Champions for Learning round table discussion.
- Olivia Ralston, Laurie Lattarulo, Chef Becca, Chef Geri, Ariel Pechokas, Key Club students, and Culinary students for volunteering at the Naples Rotary "Grape Escape" on 5th on Saturday.
- Joann Cassio for organizing the Veteran's Day luncheon and visitation.
- Rita Kentros for organizing the underclassmen picture retake day.
Staff Meetings and Trainings
- 11/17, LWIT Professional Learning Time
- 11/18, SAC Meeting, 5:00 -6:00 p.m., Conference Room
- 11/19, LWTHS Team Meeting, 2:00 -2:35 p.m.
- 11/20, LWTHS PBS Meeting, 2:00 - 2:35 p.m.