The Lackamas Lightning Strike
Home of the Lightning... Learn Lead Succeed
Back to school September 2021
Message from the Principal
We hope that you have enjoyed time with family, the warm weather, and had some fun summertime activities. We are so excited to welcome everyone back on Wednesday the 8th. NO late start. Our construction team has made so many updates that make our amazing outdoor campus have even more outdoor learning opportunities. It's going to be the BEST Year EVER!!!
I want to take a minute to share 5 things I want every family to know about our school.
1.) We will do whatever we can to keep students & staff safe physically, socially, & emotionally.
2.)YOUR voice matters as partners in YOUR child’s education.
3.) EVERY child can learn - no excuses no exceptions although children learn differently and at different times.
4.) We educate the whole child.
5.) We are a school family and ALL belong
Know we are only a phone call away if you need assistance.
Shauna Perez, Principal
Virtual Open House
Upcoming Important Dates
Building Closed, Labor Day
- First Day of School - Grades 1st - 12th
- WA Kids Kindergarten Family Meetings-By Appointment
- First Day of Kindergarten
- 2nd grade day at Cascades Camp
- 3rd grade day at Cascades Camp
- Kindergarten & 1st grade day at Cascades Camp
- 1 hour late start
- 4th grade day at Cascades Camp
- 5th grade day at Cascades Camp
- Picture Day-Packets will be sent home a few days prior
Drop off/Pick Up
- School begins at 8:20. Students will be allowed on campus no earlier than 8:05.
- School ends at 2:55. We will have a staggered release this year to avoid congestion in the pick-up area. Families are asked to please stay in their vehicle at all times and we will help your student get to your vehicle.
- Buses: Students will be released from the bus at 8:05, pick up breakfast if needed and then be released to the playground.
- Parent Drop-off: We ask families to remain in the car until 8:05. Families will drive through the drop-off loop in front of the main building. Please stay in your vehicle, we are not able to have families on campus at this time. Multiple staff members will be out front to welcome students and direct them to their classrooms, breakfast, or playground. Please make sure when students are exiting from your vehicle to only exit from the passenger side of the car to keep everyone safe.
- School is released at 2:55. This may mean that some students will be released at 2:45 in order to ensure we don't back traffic up onto Bald Hills Road. We ask in advance for your patience as we get to know families and as students become familiar with their routines.
- We will have staff members that will greet you at your car door and ask for your students' name. We will retrieve your student and bring them to your car.
- An important part of this process is PULLING YOUR CAR FORWARD in the car lane to keep traffic moving. This may mean your student needs to walk a bit to get to your car, yet it helps us be more efficient at our dismissal time.
WA Kids for Kindergarten Families
FREE Field Trip to Cascade Camp
- Monday 13th 2nd Grade
- Tuesday 14th 3rd Grade
- Wednesday 15th Kindergarten & 1st grade
- Thursday 16th 4th Grade
- Friday 17th 5th Grade
At this time we are not able to have family volunteers but will have increased staffing to ensure student safety and supervision. We will be posting photos of the day in our s'more, website, classroom newsletters and Twitter.
FREE Breakfast and Lunch for ALL!
Although breakfast and lunch are free for all students we still highly encourage you to complete the Free and Reduced lunch application. The completed and approved application has additional implications for example, depending on the need of our community, could provide additional services to our school.
FREE Anchored Social Emotional Learning for Lackams Families
We hope you had a fun, safe, and restorative summer. We are so excited to get back into the swing of things as we transition into fall and back to school - and that means our LIVE Anchored SEL community calls!
As our community grows and we get more feedback from our course participants, we’ve decided to focus each call on a specific module so that we can make the most of our time together. We hope that this will also help you to stay accountable and consistent as you work your way through the course. However, we invite you to join our community calls no matter where you are in your learning!
Calls will be on Thursdays at 4pm PST. Dates for this Fall/Winter are as follows:
- September 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
- October 7th, 14th, 28th
- November 4th, 11th, 18th
- December 2nd, 9th
You’ll find the link and password to attend live discussions below.
We will send reminder emails, but please also save this email and mark these dates/time on your calendar!
Our kickoff call on Thursday, September 9th will be a welcome back celebration and overview of Module 1: Self-Awareness.
Click here to log in to access your course at any time. (FREE to Lackamas families use the code LACKAMAS)
Whether you are new around here or are joining us again this school year, we look forward to connecting and learning with you soon!
Angela and Cher
New Students and Incoming Kinder Registration for 21-22 is Open
To be admitted to kindergarten for the fall of 2021, your child must be five years of age on or before August 31, 2021.
Current families with a Family Access account: register online by logging in to your Family Access account.
New families: register online by completing the New Student Enrollment: Account Request
Need Assistance: Watch YouTube Video Tutorial
MILITARY FAMILY INFORMATION
MFLC support:Astrik Price (253) 329-6629
Darci Jones (253) 341-5812
Kim Granroth (253) 254 8874
Check out Military Kids Connect for some great resources. Also, online tutoring and homework help for U.S. military and their families provided 24/7 at no cost by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.
Digital Flyer Board
Community organizations can upload flyers into Peachjar, and parents will receive digital flyers regarding school and community resources through email. All flyers will be available at any time on the Yelm Community Schools digital flyer board. You can manage your account preferences by logging into your account using the login information provided in the email.
Click above for Family Access - check your student's information, fill out the daily health survey and see their attendance.
PARENTS: Opt in for Text Messages - Text YES to 67587
Frequently Asked Questions
PTO Recycling Programs to raise funds for Lackamas
Lackamas is going GREEN! The PTO has chosen a couple of recycling programs for the school to participate in.
When: Recycle drop off will be on Wednesday's
A recycling program that awards points per pound of recycling materials that turn into a money donation to the school once enough points are collected. We will begin by recycling all brands of empty writing instruments and packaging to include glue sticks, watercolor dispensers, paint sets, and flexible packaging. We will also continue to collect Bunch O Balloons products and packaging, and air freshener plug-in cartridges and packaging. Will continue all year!
Trex.com - The Plastic Recycling Challenge
- Begins in November 2021
- We collected 32lbs of bags last year and we would like your help to break that record this school year!
- Winners are announced on Earth Day 2022
Done specifically through the PTO. We will be turning all the crayons into something new to give back to students. We are accepting all kinds of crayons, broken and whole.
Amazon Smile Program
RAISE MONEY WHILE SHOPPING
Amazon Smile - an automatic way to support Lackamas Elementary
- You will need to select Lackamas PTO as your charity, ID 9215319235
- With every eligible purchase, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price. Be sure to bookmark it! http://smile.amazon.com
- News Flash!!! - Amazon Smile is now available in the Amazon shopping app for Android users!
- In the latest version of the app, go to View Settings and select Amazon Smile. Follow the in-app instructions to complete the process.
Questions? Email LackamasPTO@outlook.com
Box Tops Made Easy!
BOX TOPS MADE EASY!
Download the ALL-NEW Box Tops app
- HOW IT WORKS - BUY BOX TOPS PRODUCTS!
- SCAN YOUR RECEIPT - Tap the scan button and snap a photo of your receipt within 14 days of purchase.
- WHAT ABOUT BOX TOPS STILL ON PACKAGES??
- You can still clip them and send them to school!
- Physical Box Top clips are being phased out of production.
- Send any unexpired clipped Box Tops to school with your student or drop it in the PTO box just outside the office.
- EVERY BOX TOP HELPS! - EARN CASH FOR YOUR SCHOOL!
- Lackamas has earned $200 so far this year! Can you help us double it?
Questions? Email LackamasPTO@outlook.com
THANK YOU TO OUR YCS BUSINESS PARTNERS!
Yelm Community Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights: Greg Davis, 360-458-1900, firstname.lastname@example.org; 504 Coordinator: Shannon Powell, 360-458-6124, email@example.com; Title IX Coordinator: Lisa Cadero-Smith, 360-458-6120, firstname.lastname@example.org; Address: 107 First St. N., PO Box 476, Yelm, WA 98597