Transition Plus Oct 29
It's moving time!!!
A friendly reminder: If you have information that needs to go out to the whole staff, and it can wait until Monday, submit it to be included in the MMM. We are trying to cut down on all staff emails.
Late Friday afternoon I got an email letting me know all of our hard work dreaming, planning and designing the building has come to fruition with the completion of construction!
We have just gotten approval now to occupy our new "MPS Center for Adult Learning " building as planned. Keys were given to Traci and I , alarms were set up , most of the furniture is installed (there are some items that will be arriving in the next few weeks). There will still be some work to do touch ups over the next few weeks. If you see items when you are in the building that need to be touched up or something was missed please add them to this document.
This coming week TPlus staff arrives, School opens on the 5th for Tplus.
Moving News /Reminders
Make sure all items/boxes labeled have T plus the number (e.g. T100A, T221, T304)- items without a T will not be moved!!!!!!!!
- If you have items other than furniture or office items that you are not taking – please get rid of them
- Please leave any of the colored cabinets that match the original colors of the building- Orange Yellow Red
- If you have an empty storage or file cabinet and has a key please tape the key to the cabinet unless it is being moved to your room in the new building
- In the new building you are not to put any tape, nails, tacks or screws in the walls- If you need 3M things to hang items on your walls you can order from Traci- We will most likely send in a big order a week or two after we are in our new space
- Do not write on any furniture being moved- please label with tape/ label or paper
- Please make sure to clean out the lockers
- The movers will be at TPlus Wednesday October 31st in the morning.
- If your office was moved in the new building, you will be getting the office furniture that was originally planned for that office- do not move anything from it's original space without first talking with Daphne or Jason
- Every classroom will have a locked cabinet with storage and a place to hang coats, instead of built in cabinets.
The expectation is that we will have all staff going to the trip with students. There will be work that needs to be done if you are not in a classroom and are not planning on going with the program.
- If you are going to the Riverview, you will be bussed back to Wilder after the students are picked up.
- If you are a bus aide you will go home with students on the bus and still put in for a full day.
- If you come back to Wilder, you can elect to move your personal things into the new building or leave early to complete paperwork at home.
- If you have not completed your mandatory online trainings, you can do so in the computer lab.
I will be at the new building Monday and Tuesday afternoon from 4-6 if you would like to bring your personal items over then.
If your classroom is not set up by the afternoon November 1 and you are taking a paper day offsite, you need to provide a list of what needs to be done in your room by 4:00 so we know how many ESP staff to help on Friday November 2.
If you are an ESP staff member willing to work on Friday, November 2 please give your name to Daphne so we can plan appropriately.
Any licensed staff who is interested in coming in on Saturday November 3, please let me know.
November 5th we will have an extended advisory in the morning
HYPE awards fund youth-led social action projects in Minneapolis. Mini Awards are for $250 and Full Awards are for up to $1,500.
MPS groups (day school and after school), nonprofits that serve MPS youth, and individual MPS students can apply.
Applications are due November 19, 2018.
ILT discussed the value of welcoming students to class and how acknowledging our students and welcoming them into the lesson is beneficial for everyone. Check out this article to learn more about this research based strategy.
ILT also discussed recent changes to the SIP. We will discuss the SIP and PDP at our next Team/data cycle meetings. We are continuing our work on course additions as well as the sequence, alignment, and relevance of our instruction.
Please remember to sign students up for 1 module per round and to have meaningful discussions with students about why and how they are participating. The team is looking forward to our new setting, neighborhood, opportunities, and for students to arrive on Nov. 5!
Edcamp Fusion will take place on Saturday, December 8, 2018, at the Minneapolis Hyatt Regency in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We're calling it EdCamp Fusion because the volunteers putting it together come from different areas of interest in education and anyone can attend. This will be a FREE open forum for discussions on a wide range of topics and influences on K-12 education.
Edcamp Fusion will be held before the opening events of the #TIES18 Education Technology Conference. If you are interested in staying for lunch and a keynote address by Pernille Ripp (including a 1-hour CEU), register separately here.
To learn more about Edcamps, click here.
- Kathleen Causton will be joining T Plus as a new Team 1 teacher. Staff worked to build a caseload for Kathy this week and she will have a couple of days to get to know students before she starts fresh in the new building.
Be sure to welcome her.
MPS Check It Out Chess Tournament (FREE!)
WHEN: Saturday, December 1st, 2018 – 8:30am-4:00pm
WHERE: Lake Nokomis School KEEWAYDIN (5209 30th Ave S, Minneapolis 55417)
WHO: Any MPS K-12 chess player (Students do not need to be participating on a team or in a club to register)
Online Registration Link
Resources for new families
Here is a link for teachers and families to access info in regards to questions for new immigrants and multi-lingual families. There may be teachers with students whose questions may be addressed by accessing this resource.
October 31st Half day
Please remind students to be here on time to go to the Riverview.
Any students who arrive after the buses leave will be turned away. It will be a safety concern to have students remain in the building with the movers here.
If you have students you have not seen in a while please reach out to them or their families to let them know of the plan for the day.
We would like to congratulate Eric Reichow who was selected to be in the AP Builder Cohort. The AP Builder Program will provide cohort-based learning and professional development to a group of teachers and teacher leaders who aspire to become highly successful first year APs. Eric is one of the 12 candidates selected.
If you see him, make sure to congratulate him!
We Give Campaign
The annual MPS We Give Campaign has officially begun! Starting October 22, 2018 through Friday, November 2, 2018, all MPS employees will have the opportunity to donate to charitable organizations of their choice through a one-time gift or ongoing payroll deductions.
Rachel Prince is our coordinator this year, and has deposited flyers and donation pledge pages to all mailboxes. Please return them to her mailbox when completed, and contact her with any questions! Thank you for all you do!
Treats from Education Minnesota
On November 5th, as a way to welcome us into our new building Education Minnesota has generously offered to provide some morning goodies - coffee & baked goods in the staff lounge.
Please do not walk around the new building with open cups/ mugs!!!
Let's try to avoid having spills in the new building- if you do, please wipe up if it's a hard surface or notify custodial staff if it's a rug.
Upcoming at TPlus
Tuesday -------- Licensed Staff Meeting ------------------- 8:30
Wednesday----Riverview/ Moving Day
Thursday------- PD AM -- new building- Unpack PM -- 8:30
Friday ------------ unpack/ grading day - SEAs do not need to report this day. If available see Daphne
Save the Date--
The next Family Resource Event will occur on December 20, 2018.
This will be an opportunity for families to tour the new building.