WHAT'S HAPPENING - CPS
December 1, 2020
Growing, Learning and Achieving Together
Dear Spartan families,
The holiday season is just around the corner and despite the fact that there are many activities we need to hold off on for this year, we seem to be as busy as ever. All of us are enjoying the fact that the weather is staying mild and we are able to get outside for learning opportunities more often than we might have in the past. With only three weeks left before the holiday break, there is a lot going on that we would like to tell you about.
What we did in November!
November was a busy month around Centreville Public School. We are very grateful that Mr. Clapp and the Grade 7/8 class organized and conducted a very meaningful Remembrance Day ceremony to pay tribute to all those Canadians who sacrificed in order to provide the freedom that we all enjoy. The ceremony was held outside and all students and staff participated safely, wearing masks and implementing appropriate social distancing. The week of November 16-20, 2020 was Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week. All classes were involved in stories, discussions and activities related to topics ranging from equity and bullying prevention to anti-discrimination and anti-racism. Many classes were fortunate to participate in activities led by indigenous knowledge keeper Tim Yearington. Thank you to Mme. Raddon and Ms. Quaresma for organizing. We held a Pink Shirt Spirit Day on Thursday November 19th to commemorate our commitment to raising awareness regarding issues related to bullying. The week of November 23-27, 2020 was Student Census Week! This is a new Ministry mandated initiative where students from across the District participated in an information gathering survey designed to help us better understand the population of young people who attend our schools so that we can better meet their needs. Thank you to everyone involved! All students participated in practising our emergency procedures with a Lockdown rehearsal carried out on TuesdayFriday November 20th. Students were well–prepared and performed well! Progress Reports were distributed to all families on Friday November 20th. Families are reminded that they are always welcome to discuss their child’s progress and achievement with classroom teachers. Finally, our Intermediate Student athletes have been busy with a Kick, Pass and Punt Football Challenge. Students from Grade 7/8, tested their throwing and kicking skills against teams from schools across the LDSB. Our students performed very well with each team winning at one of their matches against some very strong competitors. Well done to all athletes!
What is Happening in December!
We are looking forward to plenty of excitement in December also! During the week of November 30-December 4th, our Junior and Intermediate students will be participating in webinars focussed on examining the dangers of Video Gaming Dependencies and Addictions. Students will also learn about the game-bling issues related to participating in many of today’s most popular games. It promises to be an informative and valuable opportunity! On December 11th, we will be holding our annual Jingle Bell Walk to celebrate the beginning of the festive season. Students will walk on the school property this year listening to holiday favorite songs being broadcast on our sound system. In conjunction with the Jingle Bell walk, we are collecting non-perishable food to donate to the Newburgh-Camden Lions Club Christmas Baskets. We would ask that all students bring their donations for this worthy cause by Thursday December 10th as the Lions Club will be picking up our donation on Friday morning prior to the commencement of the school day. Thank you in advance for your kindness and generosity! Individual School Photos will be taken by LifeTouch on Tuesday December 15th! Please ensure that all students bring their brightest smiles for this opportunity! In order to get into the spirit of the season, we will be holding a number of Spirit Days in December!
December 11, 2020 Holiday Hat Spirit Day!
December 16, 2020 Red/White/Green Spirit Day!
December 17, 2020 Sports Gear and Jersey Spirit Day!
December 18, 2020 Pyjama Spirit Day!
The last day of school before the Holiday will be Friday December 18th, 2020 and the first day back in January will be Monday the 4th, 2021!
As we head into the holiday season, we would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and healthy break. Take time to enjoy close family and also to re-energize after a busy but fruitful first part of the school year. We look forward to engaging in more exciting learning in 2021!
Have a Happy New Year Everyone!
Principal, Centreville Public School
- Participate in the 41st Annual Community Christmas concert on December 5th, 2020 by visiting the following website: Community Christmas Concert See below for more information.
- Bring your food donation for the Newburgh-Camden Lions Club Christmas baskets by Thursday December 10, 2020!
- Purchase Raffle Tickets for our Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Christmas Charcuterie Raffle Basket Fundraiser (Notice coming home shortly-see below for more information)
- Cheese order forms are due on Monday December 7th, 2020!
- Please ensure that you are putting labels in all of your children's belongings. We have recently subscribed to Mabel's Labels to make this process easier and as an added bonus, we receive a percentage of sales to go towards children's learning resources. See link below and be sure to click on the box that indicates Support a Fundraiser and then search for Centreville Public School!
6. Please be sure to send a water bottle to school with your child on a daily basis. We have a very limited supply of bottles that we can loan out if necessary.
7. Please be sure that you continue to use the School Messenger App to record your child's absences. We have a very strict absence protocol to follow this year and it is important that everyone use the systems provided! Please see the "How To" information provided at the bottom of this newsletter. Thank you for your kind attention to this matter!
8. If you are driving your children to school, please ensure that they are here before the bell at 9:00 a.m. Many teachers give important instructions and/or engage in the first activities of the day as close to 9 a.m. as possible and if your child is late, it makes for a disruptive start to the day! Thank you for your support!
Around the School!
PAC Christmas Charcuterie Raffle Basket Fundraiser
A beautiful holiday planter (valued at $50) donated by Sheila's Greenhouse in Yarker (pictured above)
Preserves from Sheila's Greenhouse
Wine and Liquors from the LCBO
Beer from MacKinnon Brothers (Bath)
Cheese, crackers and Chocolate from Wilton Cheese
Cured meats from Quinn's
A notice will be coming home shortly with instructions on how to purchase tickets for friends, family and yourselves.
We hope that you will consider supporting our school!
School Picture Day is Coming!
Picture Day is coming Tuesday, December 15 .
After Picture Day, order pictures on mylifetouch.ca using your Portrait ID and Access Code which can be found on your Picture Day order form.
The 41st Annual Community Christmas Concert
Messages from Director of Education - Krishna Burra
Family Reference Guide - Updated September 22nd, 2020
Daily COVID 19 Screening
COVID 19 School Protocols (Updated November 3, 2020)
Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
Online Babysitting Courses
Transportation to and from school is not guaranteed. Families should have a backup plan to transport their student(s) to school, and to arrange child care where required, if their bus is cancelled for any reason and they cannot transport their student to school. For more information about how to subscribe for e-mail notifications from Tri-Board regarding delays and cancellations, please download the instructions found at the link below.
Up to Date Information
Please check regulary as new or altered information becomes available:
LDSB Website https://www.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Twitter https://twitter.com/LimestoneDSB
LDSB Facebook https://tinyurl.com/wbhjtku
LDSB Instagram https://instagram.com/limestonedsb?igshid=1epyma6c0g5qd