Fairfield ES Update
Friday, September 4, 2020
Welcome Back Falcons! It is so good to have you back!
A Great Start!
We have had a great start back to school. Thank you to all families for preparing your children to return to school. Our entry routines went very smoothly on Thursday and Friday this week, and our classes are learning all about our sfaety procedures including handwashing, mask wearing, and distancing. Everyone is doing a great job!
Thank you for having students come onto the yard as close to 8:55am as possible. This week we had all of our staff outside to welcome students. Beginning on Tuesday we will have regular yard supervision before the school day. When students arrive in the morning they are to proceed directly to their line up as the school yard and climber/structures are closed before the school day begins. A friendly reminder that in the event of inclement weather, students will enter the school at 8:55am (regular time) as there is no early entry possible.
We are looking forward to seeing our A cohort again on Tuesday September 8th and Thursday September 10th. Our B cohort returnson Wednesday September 9th and Friday September 11th. Everyone returns full time on Monday September 14th.
Please note that while every effor is made to establish and maintain routines and classroom cohorts, it is possible that we may have to reorganize our classrooms during the third week of September. This re-organizing may occur based on student enrollment and is a decision that is made by the Central Staffing Committee of the LDSB. Should we have to reorganize more information will be shared with families.
We hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend!
Hilda Barrett, VP & Deborah Thompson, P
If you drive to school please park in the parking lot and NOT in front of the school or in the bus loop. The bus loop is for busses only and there is no parking or stopping in front of the school as it is a fire lane. Thank you!
Parents Drop Off & Pick Up
- Parents are asked to drop students off independently where possible. For younger/new students, parents may come on to the school yard to drop off/pick up their child, but must leave immediately and may not congregate. Social distancing will be expected.
- All climbers and equipment are CLOSED before school and students are not to be on it
- Drop off as close to 8:55am as possible. Supervision does not begin until 8:40 and students will be expected to go directly to their class line when they arrive on the school yard every morning. In the event of inclement weather students will enter the school at 8:55am and not before as we cannot have students gathering in hallways.
- Students will walk directly to their class cohort line up: during the staggered entry especially staff will be on the yard (wearing bright vests) to help direct children
- After staggered entry, first period teachers will meet their class at the line up at 8:55am and will do an orderly entry into the school, one cohort at a time, maintaining physical distancing.
- Students with special education needs will be met and supervised by staff
- At the end of the day, bussed students will be walked to the bus line-ups by staff. Students who walk or are picked up will be dismissed from their specific door (see below). Students will be dismissed at 3:15 when the bell rings.
- Students in JK-Grade 5 will be handed off to a parent at the dismissal doors. Students in Grade 6-8 will be dismissed at their door at the end of the day.
- Kindergarten families are asked to walk their child onto the yard to the Kindergarten doors and lineup area, where a staff member will greet each child and help them line up with their cohort. We request that families adhere to social distancing protocols.
- Please try to arrive at 8:55am as that is when the school day begins
- At the end of the day, parents and caregivers will need to adhere to social distancing protocols when picked up their child at the Kindergarten doors. Children will be dismissed one at a time to their parent/guardian.
- Families are encouraged to leave the school yard and not gather on the playground
Please see the map below for a visual of where each class cohort will line up at the beginning and end of the day, and for recess entry/exit.
Getting Ready for School
Positive Messaging: Children will be looking to adults to determine how they should react to situations, to provide reassurance and to answer questions/concerns they may have. Do your best to share positive messaging about the challenges ahead and be mindful about what personal worries and concerns you share.
Begin Practicing: Begin or continue to practice mask wearing and physical distancing in the community and in social gatherings. Students will need time to become accustomed to these protocols and will need to develop stamina for wearing a mask. Continue to establish and practice hand-washing/sanitizing routines at home before/after transitioning to new places and spaces. We will be washing our hands a lot during the school day!
Seek Support: Reach out to other families to share ideas and strategies for preparing students for the new normal of school. Access community resources to support your child's mental health and well-being or to access support for yourself. Email or call the school if you have specific questions/concerns related to your child - our whole team is here to help!
Resources and Information about School Reopening
Please continue to check the LDSB microsite for updated information on the Director's messages, Frequently asked Questions, Family Reference Guide, Wellness Resources & Supports, Remote Learning info, Public Health info and Ministry of Education information. This area is updated regularly as information becomes available or changes.
A friendly reminder that dogs and pets are not allowed on the school grounds at any time.
What to Bring
Along with their excitement, creativity, imagination and positive energy, students may to wish to bring a few other items in their backpacks. We ask that all toys, electronics, valueable and personal items remain at home and only necessary items are brought to school. At this time, students will be required to keep their belongings with them in the classroom. Hooks and cubbies will not be in use. This is to avoid hallway congestion and congregation areas.
What to bring:
- Refillable water bottle. Fountains are closed, but water refill stations are open
- Masks are mandatory. We encourage students to bring their own mask, however, if they don't have one, they will be provided one.
- Hand sanitizer is provided in each classroom and at each door, but students may wish to bring their own - scent free please!
- School supplies are provided (pencils, erasers, crayons, etc) but students may wish to bring their own
- Bring a healthy lunch and snacks for two eating times - no nuts or peanuts please
- Wear appropriate shoes for running and playing (no flip flops).
- Appropriate clothing wear for outdoor play or waiting to safely enter the building
Stay Up To Date! Please check the following regularly...
Fairfield ES Twitter https://twitter.com/fesfalcons_ldsb?lang=en
Fairfield ES Website https://fairfield.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Website https://www.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Twitter https://twitter.com/LimestoneDSB
LDSB Facebook https://tinyurl.com/wbhjtku
LDSB Instagram https://instagram.com/limestonedsb?igshid=1epyma6c0g5qd