Saunders County 4-H Smore
May 3, 2019
In this week's Smore...
** Did you know that new items added are BOLDED?!?
- 4-H Council Meeting
- District Speech & PSA deadline
- Saunders County Horse Exhibitor Letter
- Outdoor Recreation Workshop
- Saunders County Youth Agriculture Tour
- 2019 Theresa Wilson Photo Theme
- UNL Flood Resources
- Foundation Flood Relief Fund
- Leader & Parent Information Night RECORDING & Fair Changes
- Top Curriculum Exhibitor Contest
- 2019 4-H Activity Calendar
- Superintendents for 2019 NEEDED!
- SC Shooting Sports Practices
- SC Archery Practice
- Fur Your Information- Dog Camp
- SC 4-H Foundation Fundraiser
- 2019 4-H Enrollment Open
- Agriculture Oppurtunities
- Culinary Challenge
- Nebraska Charter Year - Photo
- Ashland Shotgun Shooting
- Pick Your Project Listing
- Animal Clinics, Progress Shows, & Events
4-H Council Meeting
2019 Theresa Wilson Photography Theme: NEBRASKA STRONG
UNL FLOOD RESOURCES
Flood.unl.edu - Resources for Flood recovery
Some of the Agriculture topics include:
- Feedyard Webinar Series https://beef.unl.edu/beefwatch/2019-feedyard-extension-webinar
- Flood soaked Feed and Forage
- Holding Pond Management
- Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) released
- Fencing and resolving fencing disputes
- Cattle Producers Post-Flood Checklist
- Feeding Cows After the Flood
- Online Rural Resource List- Staying Connected During Tough Times
- Hay and Fencing Donations
FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES FLOOD RELIEF FUND TO SUPPORT NEBRASKA FAMILIES
The Nebraska 4-H Foundation has created a Flood Relief Fund to support children, youth and families impacted by the recent storms and floods.
There is another fund that may be of interest to your 4-H families and friends. The 4-H’ers Helping 4-H’ers Fund offers a giving opportunity to 4-H clubs and councils as well as individuals and businesses to support 4-H youth and families.
Information on both funds is available on the Nebraska 4-H Foundation website: www.ne4hfoundation.org
If you have questions or need additional information, please call or email Stu Shepherd at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Fair Changes
YOU CAN FIND 2018 PARENT/LEADER INFORMATION NIGHT RECORDING HERE: https://unl.box.com/s/9xfbnxhpkm08d2mxm1ogsxlmvd6mq3bx
It will give in depth description of changes!
- Only Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion overall market swine will go to harvest.
•Breeding Gilt Show added
-Maximum entries: FIVE TOTAL, 4 Market, 2 Breeding
Entry limit for Dairy Cattle & Dairy Goat = FIVE ANIMALS
Sunday, August 4
• BBQ start at 12 NOON
• 4-H Livestock Auction start at 2:00 p.m.
Static Exhibit Release Time = 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, Sunday, August 4
Best Dressed Critter – 7:00 p.m., August 1st
Favorite Foods Contest – 12:00 Noon July 28
Fashion Show – 6:00 PM July 29
State Fair Static Exhibits (non-perishable) will be KEPT AT FAIRGROUNDS between county fair and state fair. - NEW
* You have the option to take the items home from the fair if you'd like, however drop off times will be the same as perishable items.
•Perishable items will be asked to be brought to Extension Office August 19 between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and August 20 8:00 a.m. - 12 Noon.
Static Entry Interview Judging sign ups posted at outside entry table of 4-H building
Top Curriculum Exhibitor Contest
SUPERINTEDENTS STILL NEEDED FOR SC FAIR
RAISE YOUR HAND TO SUPPORT 4-H DISASTER RECOVERY IN NEBRASKA!
Nebraska needs a big win now more than ever. That’s why we’re excited to announce that 100% of any winnings that Nebraska 4-H earns from this year’s Raise Your Hand campaign will go to 4-H’ers Helping 4-H’ers to support 4-H flood and disaster recovery efforts here in our state! Help us prove that we are #NebraskaStrong by voting today at https://go.unl.edu/winne
Saunders County Shooting Sports
Shooting Sports Practices are done for now up until right before the county fair.
Any questions, feel free to email chad at email@example.com
Fur Your Information - Dog Camp
The Animal Science Department of UNL is excited to introduce our new, dog camp, Fur Your Information!
Through three sessions (June 3, 10, & 17), this camp will offer students the opportunity to learn and practice showmanship, rally obedience, and agility with their household dog.
No previous training knowledge or experience? No problem! So long as your dog knows basic obedience and good on-leash control, students between the ages 8 and 18 are encouraged to enroll.
From practicing basic components of training like animal behavior, positive reinforcement, and motivation to learning more about the science behind dog care, this camp has it all!
Spots are limited, sign your child up today!
For more information and the registration link:
2019 SC 4-H Foundation Fundraiser
2019 Silent Auction “Keep Saunders County Rolling” will be the slogan for this year’s silent auction. o Cole will direct 4-H clubs (via email) to construct a project that somehow uses wheels of some sort or something that puts things into motion or that has been used to keep things in motion (ie: fiber optics, wagon wheels, tires, etc). The auction items will be on display and up for bidding during the fair.
o A “Buy Now” option price will be set upon the 4-H Club’s suggestion. Bidding will continue on items that haven’t been purchased through the “Buy Now” option and will be finalized through a Live Auction Sunday evening prior to the Livestock Auction
Nebraska Charter Year
February 15, 2019 marks 150 years since the day the state of Nebraska chartered the University of Nebraska. This means that on February 15, 1869, the University of Nebraska became a part of the fabric of our state. Nebraska Extension is perfectly positioned to take this celebrations state-wide. So you will see some new ACTIVITIES in 2019 to celebrate this. One of them will be the following photography class at the fair:
State Fair Photography Class
• 4-H members enrolled in Mastering Photography Unit 3 are invited to celebrate N|150 by exhibiting in the Theme Print (Class B182060) at their local counties fairs. The top exhibit(s) from each county will be selected to advance to the Nebraska State Fair. February 15, 2019 marks 150 years of history to appreciate, impact to unpack, and stories to tell. How has the University of Nebraska impacted you, your family, or your community? How can you tell this story through photography?
4H Shotgun Shooting
Female and Male Youth, grades 6 thru 12, interested in trapshooting are encouraged to contact Ashland Gun Club 4H. We are wanting to establish 5 person, Female and Male, Middle and Senior High School Teams for the 2018-2019 school year. No experience necessary! Hunter Safety Required!
Searchable, Web-Based 2019 Pick Your Project Now Available
The Pick Your Project, available at http://4hcurriculum.unl.edu, has been updated for the 2019 program year. Like last year, the printable, 2-page 2019 Nebraska 4-H Project Listing is available and can be distributed to 4-H members, volunteers, and parents. This printable 4-H Project Listing shares a link to the Pick Your Project. Both of these resources can be publicly accessed at https://4h.unl.edu/resources.
Midwest Messenger, 4-H Club or FFA Chapter of the Week
The nomination form can be found on our website at https://www.agupdate.com/midwestmessenger/forms/f4h_club_ffa_chapter_of_the_week/.
For any questions about this program or submitting a nomination, please contact Katy Moore at (402) 374-2225 ext. 122, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saunders County Extension
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.