- Materials pickup for grades 10 - 12 and Digital Academy: Tuesday, September 8 and Wednesday, September 9, 9 am - 1pm. (Only for students specifically contacted by a teacher)
- 9th Grade and New Student Cohort A Orientation: Thursday, September 10, 8:00 am - 10:50 am
- 9th Grade and New Student Cohort B Orientation: Friday, September 11, 8:00 am - 10:50 am
- Digital Academy Orientation: September 9 - 11
- Digital Academy Student Picture Day: Wednesday, September 30, times TBD
- Cohort A Picture Day: Thursday, October 1
- Cohort B Picture Day: Friday, October 2
- Parent/Guardian & Teacher Conferences: Friday, October 9 (Virtual)
Materials Distribution - September 8 and 9
Not all students will need to pick up items. Teachers will contact students and families to indicate whether or not they need to come to school and pick up an item on these days. Please watch your e-mail and student Schoology messages for information regarding pickup.
On September 8 and 9 we will distribute materials to students who need specific physical items for their classes.
- Materials pickup for grades 10 - 12 and Digital Academy: Tuesday, September 8 and Wednesday, September 9, times below
- NEW students to District 196 to pick up iPads: Tuesday, September 8 and Wednesday, September 9, times below
The pickup process will take place in our main parking lot and will use a “drive-up” format. The student/parent will give their name to a greeter stationed outside and AVHS staff will bring the student’s materials to your vehicle. The pickup window is between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm each day.
In order to facilitate an efficient pickup process, we ask that, if possible, students come at the following times based on the first letter of their last name:
Tuesday, September 8 (All students - Cohorts A & B as well as Digital Academy)
9:00 A - E
10:00 F - L
11:00 M - R
12:00 S - Z
Wednesday, September 9 (All students - Cohorts A & B as well as Digital Academy)
9:00 S - Z
10:00 M - R
11:00 F - L
12:00 A - E
Again, please watch e-mail and Schoology messages for information from individual teachers indicating whether or not you need to come to school to pickup any items.
If you need to pickup an item, but are unable to do so during the times above, please let us know by filling out this form. We will contact you to make an alternate plan.
Student Orientation Week (Bus Transportation is available for Thursday and Friday)
As part of the “Restart 2020” plan approved by the School Board for ISD 196, the week of Sept. 8 - 11 is designated as a week for “student orientation and connection.”
AVHS will offer an in-person orientation for all ninth-grade and new-to-AVHS students in Hybrid Learning Cohorts A and B on Thursday, September 10, and Friday, September 11. Due to the pandemic, this orientation is for students only. We are not able to accommodate parents/guardians at this event. Buses will run on their normal routes and will be available to all students who will normally ride a bus during the school year. Information regarding bus schedules, pick up locations, and timing comes from the District 196 transportation office.
- 9th Grade and New Students Cohort A: Thursday, September 10, 8:00 am - 10:50 am
- 9th Grade and New Students Cohort B: Friday, September 11, 8:00 am - 10:50 am
9th grade and new-to-AVHS students in Digital Academy who are also interested in participating in the in-person orientation times should complete this form to indicate their interest.
During this in-person orientation, students will walk through a shortened version of their daily schedules. The relationship between teachers and students is a critical part of the Apple Valley High School experience, and this opportunity for interaction will help form the foundation for that relationship.
Students will also learn about some of the basic daily routines and processes they can follow to experience success during their high school years. This will include orientation in how to access Schoology and Campus, where to go if you have questions, procedures for getting lunch and eating in the cafeteria, and others.
We are also working on a virtual orientation experience for our students participating in Digital Academy as well as our 10th through 12th-grade returning students participating in Hybrid learning. More information will come in a future message about how to access this information.
Schedule Information & Updates for Infinite Campus
The 2020-21 schedules are available for viewing on Campus. For complete information about how to access your schedule and our guidelines for requesting any changes, please follow the link listed below.
Please note – because of the complexities of balancing cohorts to allow for safe distancing in various classrooms, schedule changes will only be made for exceptional situations (those guidelines are in the link).
This trimester, students in all grades (9-12) are allowed to be out of school during a study hall that falls at the beginning or end of the school day (Periods 1 and 4 on Mon/Tue and Periods 5 and 7 on Thur/Fri). We do not make schedule changes to put study halls into specific periods.
After you have viewed your schedule and you would like to be gone during a study hall that falls in Periods 1, 4, 5, or 7, please complete this online permission form, linked below.
We no longer use paper emergency cards for health information. Parents/Guardians are asked to enter health updates and permissions online in the Campus Parent account
Due to continued enrollments throughout late August and early September, some changes to schedules are made prior to the opening of school. Whether distance, hybrid or in-person, students should be sure to “follow” the schedule posted in Campus on September 8th.
Doors Open: 7:30 a.m.
Arrival of Buses: 7:35 a.m. (approx.)
Start of School (1st or 5th hour): 8:00 a.m.
End of School (4th or 7th hour): 1:40 p.m.
196 Digital Academy Synchronous Zoom Sessions: 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Doors Close: 1:50 p.m. (exception allowed for students involved in co-curricular activities)
Before and After School
- The building will be open at 7:30am. The school day ends at 1:40 and students must leave the building at that time (unless they are rostered in a cocurricular activity scheduled for that day). Please plan your transportation to and from Apple Valley to allow for these times.
- When students enter the building they will have two options; either to eat breakfast or go directly to their first classroom scheduled for the day.
- Students participating in cocurricular athletic and other activities and are on the program’s roster, will be allowed to remain in the building on in-person learning days, if needed, between 1:40pm (end of school day) and 3:30pm (start of practice).
- For students in our District 196 Academy or for cohort A or B students at home during their distance learning days, the building will open at 3:00pm to arrive for cocurricular activities.
Health and Safety at Apple Valley
The safety and health of our students and staff is our number one priority. We will focus on creating a safe environment for all.
Masks are a requirement for all students and staff inside of AVHS. This is in accordance with both District 196 and Minnesota state policy.
Daily At-Home Self and Symptoms Check for all Students and Staff
Each day staff and parents/guardians should check for each of these symptoms and items before school. If a student or staff person exhibits ANY of these symptoms they should stay home and contact their doctor for follow-up on testing or a doctor’s visit:
Fever of 100.4 F or greater
New chills and a repeated shaking with chills
New muscle pain
New sore throat
New loss of taste or smell
Students or staff should stay home if they:
Have one or more symptoms of COVID-19
Live with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19
Have been in close contact (within 6 feet for greater than 15 minutes, with or without a mask) with anyone who has been instructed to isolate due to illness or a positive test
Have been advised by a medical provider that they may have been exposed to COVID-19
Guidelines will be set for hallways to reduce congestion and congregation and create efficient routes to and from classes. An industrial safety firm (IEA) has been employed by the district to identify areas for shielding (main office), create signage, standing-space dots, one-way traffic flows, one-way stairwells, etc. to ease student traffic flow and facilitate spacing.
Lockers will not be assigned at the start of the year. Students in co-curricular activities will be expected to bring and take home their equipment every day.
Breakfast and Lunch
We will use both our cafeteria and the Commons as seating areas to accommodate appropriate physical distancing. Lunch tables will have indications for where students should sit to accommodate appropriate distancing.
What Happens for Students/Families with COVID-19 Symptoms
The linked document from the Minnesota Department of Health is a guide for people in schools, youth, and child care programs to help guide decision families and schools will make when someone shows symptoms of COVID-19.
Food Service and Free & Reduced Price Meals
Please note: Families must apply for Free & Reduced Price Lunch qualification every year.
- On days when your student attends class at AVHS, teachers will take their attendance during each period.
- On all other school days students, including Digital Academy students, will check in on their student Campus app to check-in for their attendance for the day. Navigate to Attendance->Check-Ins and then click "Yes, I'm here to check in for the day". Students in Cohorts A and B will use this process on school days when they are not scheduled to be at Apple Valley. Students in Digital Academy will do this every school day.
Students and families new to District 196:
- Login Information will be sent via email from Apple Valley High School in mid-August.
- For MyPaymentsPlus and PayPAMS registration, please select "Minnesota" for the state and "Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan-ISD196" for the School District name.
Students and families continuing in District 196:
- Continue using existing login credentials for Campus and Schoology
- Families will need to create new login credentials for MyPaymentsPlus and PayPAMS. Please select "Minnesota" for the state and "Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan-ISD196" for the School District name.
| || || |
- Student, family and emergency contact information
- Student schedules and attendance
- End-term grades and transcripts