Kleb Intermediate Parent Newsletter--January 2017
A Note from the Principal
Up and Coming Events
There are a couple of items to be on the lookout for in the near future. First, at the end of January, we will begin exploring the idea of "What is a CUB?" during den. Our desire is for all of our students to be Continuous Learners and Understanding Citizens who are Building Responsibility (Hence CUBs!). We would love for you to be a part of the conversation on how we define these as a community and what it looks like in various settings, so look for the weekly talking points as we get closer! Additionally, as March approaches, be on the look-out for our STAAR Series Tutorials flyer. It will be full of dates for extra help sessions for all subjects tested to give our kids that little extra boost they might need.
Here are several other key events to mark on your calendar:
- Monday, January 16th--MLK Holiday
- Wednesday, January 18th--5th Grade Parent Night
- Tuesday, January 24th--Spring Open House
- Monday, January 30th--IB Informational Meeting at Kleb
- Friday, February 10th--Klein Academic Competition (KAC) hosted at Kleb!
- Monday, February 20th--Student Holiday/Staff Development
- Thursday, March 2nd--Community Dinner with Dr. Champion
- March 13-17--Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 28th--STAAR Testing: 7th Grade Writing and 8th Grade Math
- Wednesday, March 29th--STAAR Testing: 8th Grade Reading
- Friday, April 7th--Spring Pictures and 8th Grade Panoramic
- Friday, April 14th--Easter Holiday
- Monday, May 8th--STAAR Testing: 6th and 7th Grade Math
- Tuesday, May 9th--STAAR Testing: 6th and 7th Grade Reading
- Wednesday, May 10th--STAAR Testing: 8th Grade Science
- Thursday, May 11th--STAAR Testing: 8th Grade Social Studies
- Monday, May 29th--Memorial Day Holiday
- Thursday, June 1st--Last Day of Classes
Help Kleb with Old Legos!!!
If you would like to donate Legos to the cause, simply drop them off or have your child bring them by the front office! Interested in helping decorate or help out in any other way on the day of the event? Talk to Sai Boeker, our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speak up about Kleb!
Attention 8th Graders
A Note From the Nurse
Spinal screenings of all 8th graders will be conducted at Kleb Intermediate on January 26th, 30th and 31st during their Science class.
The State of Texas requires that all 8th grade students be screened for abnormal curves of the spine such as scoliosis and kyphosis, that can appear during years of rapid growth between the ages 10 and 16 years. The screening is a simple procedure that involves looking at the back while the child is standing and then bending forward. Boys and girls will be seen separately and individually. All students must remove their shirt for the exam. For this reason, we request that girls wear a halter top, sports bra or a two piece swimsuit underneath their shirt on screening dates. The dress code still applies. Please call the clinic (832-249-5516) if you have any questions or concerns.
Klein Cain-Bound Bearcubs:
From the PTO
Upcoming Fuddrucker's Spirit Nights:
The upcoming spirit night dates are:
- Tuesday, January 10th
- Monday, February 6th
The Counselors' Corner
· Throughout January and February, counselors will be working with students on course selection for the 2017-2018 school year.
· There will be an informational meeting for students interested in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program at the Klein Oak High School Auditorium on January 12th from 6:30 to 8:00 PM, and another here at Kleb on January 30th from 6:30 to 8:00.
· For students zoned to attend Klein Cain High School next year, there will be an informational meeting regarding the school and course selection on January 23rd at 6:00PM at the Klein ISD Multipurpose Center.
· For students zoned to attend Klein High School next year, there will be an informational meeting regarding the school and course selection on January 24th at Klein High School. The club/organization fair begins at 6:00PM and the student/parent meeting begins at 7:00PM in the auditorium.
· Check out Klein ISD’s Promise to Purpose website at http://www.promise2purpose.net/ to get information about graduation pathways and endorsement options.
The Bearcub Club
- February 16th--Texas A&M University--8:00-8:30 in the Activity Room
- March 2nd--FBI Special Agent Presentation--8:00-8:30 in the Activity Room
- April 20th--International Sales Presentation--8:00-8:30 in the Activity Room
- May 4th--IT Consultant Presentation--8:00-8:30 in the Activity Room
From the Coaches Office:
If your child is interested in track and field, track practice starts February 1st at 7:00 am. All those interested in running need to be here at 7:00 am in the Kleb gym and must have a physical on file to compete. Contact coaches Miller or Golden if you have any questions concerning track and field.
Swim and Tennis start March 30th. Make sure your child listens to announcements daily at school for upcoming meetings!
7th Grade Lady Bearcub Basketball
The 7th grade girls’ basketball season is off to a GREAT start! Both teams are in the hunt for a district title, winning all their games so far through the first half of the season. The B team won the Klein ISD district tournament on Dec 10, defeating Ulrich in the championship game by 20 points. Come out and support these talented young ladies every Thursday!
Look out for course selection sheets in January! We hope that all of our current band students will return to us next year and we would love to see some new faces for the 2017-2018 Kleb Band. Visit www.klebband.org for more information about the benefits of joining band!
The Symphonic Band made their annual visit to the Elementary Schools to entertain the students with several holiday selections on December 2nd. The Symphonic Band also played for the Kleb student body assembly on December 16th. We always look forward to these performances to show off the band!
We hope that you enjoyed the Holiday Concert at the Klein High School Auditorium on December 7th. The students worked very hard to learn their music for your entertainment!
All advanced band members will be participating in the Klein ISD Solo and Ensemble Contest on Saturday, January 28th at Klein High School. Participation in this contest helps each student grow musically; no matter what rating they receive. All who participate are winners! Kleb will also hold a Solo and Ensemble fun/help night on January 20th to provide extra help before the contest, and enjoy a game night with other band members. More information about the contest and help session will be coming home with your students at a later date.
Our Mixed Bags Spring Fundraiser will be in February, so look for more information to help us raise funds for the band!
Keep an eye out for more information on our 2017 Fun Events! ITZ in January and Houston Symphony Concert for our Advanced Band students in February.
On Saturday, October 15, Symphonic Band students competed in the District Band Auditions at Wunderlich Intermediate. The following students earned spots as the top players in Klein ISD:
Piccolo – B. Danner; Flute – M. Myers, A. McComb, B. Danner, E. Stout, J. Dunphy; Oboe – C. Patterson; Bassoon –A. Boeker; Clarinet – A. Mbajonas, A. McDowell, J. Folds, J. Pham; Tenor Sax – G. Flores; Baritone Sax – B. Cisneros; Trumpet – K. Madani, M. Lawrence, V. Contreras, J. Ramos, B. Ward, J. Wolff; French Horn – V. Moffett, M. Pfeffer, K. Broom, K. Jones; Euphonium – M. Gomez; Tuba – R. Milan; Percussion – M. Miller
Congratulations to the following students who made All Region Band for 2016: Piccolo – B. Danner; Flute – A. McComb, M. Myers, J. Dunphy, E. Stout; Oboe – C. Patterson; Bassoon – A. Boeker; Clarinet – A. Mbajonas, J. Folds, A. McDowell; Bass Clarinet – Z. Hodges; Alto Sax – J. Quintero; Trumpet – K. Madani, M. Lawrence, V. Contreras; French Horn – V. Moffett, M. Pfeffer, K. Jones; Euphonium – M. Gomez; Tuba – R. Milan. Also making All Region Orchestra were: B. Danner, A. McComb, A. Boeker, K. Madani, V. Moffett, M. Pfeffer, K. Jones, R. Milan. These students worked very hard on learning their music and perfecting their skills. We are extremely proud of their accomplishments. The Region Orchestra members participated in a clinic and concert on the weekend of November 18th and 19th at Klein Forest High School. Those making Region Band participated in the clinic and concert on December 9th and 10th held at McCullough JH in The Woodlands.
“Note”able News from the Orchestra
Congratulations to all of the Kleb Orchestras for such an enjoyable and entertaining Winter Holiday Concert. Also we would like to congratulate the 15 Kleb Orchestra students that made it into one of the two region orchestras. This is a new record for the Kleb Orchestra program. We are so proud of all of their efforts to be a part of this very competitive group.
The Orchestra has their next social event on January 27th to Main Event. More details will be coming home very soon.
Good luck to all the Orchestra students as they prepare for their upcoming contests. The Camerata, Philharmonic, Sinfonia and Chamber Orchestras will perform at the KISD Solo & Ensemble Contest held at Klein H.S. on Saturday, February 18th and the Concert, Sinfonietta and Beginner Orchestras will be performing in the KISD Solo Contest at Wunderlich on Thursday, March 13th, 2017. The students have all received detailed information regarding these contests from Mrs. Herron and Mr. Jackson in class.
The Intermediate, Philharmonic, Symphony and Chamber Orchestras have begun to prepare for the Klein Festival on Saturday, March 4th followed by the Ann Roberts Orchestra Festival on March 25th, 2017. More details about these events will be forthcoming in class.
Mrs. Herron and Mr. Jackson would like to remind everyone to…. Practice ONLY on the days you eat!
Book Fair is coming January 23rd-27th! We will also be open during Open House Tuesday, January 24th!
Lone Star Reading Program
The Kleb Lone Star Reading Program is moving right along. Congratulations to Mrs. Cummings, 6th Grade Language Arts teacher who currently has the highest participation of students reading Lone Stars! Kudos to Ahmad Abbara, Callie Baker, Tayshon Brown, Allie Clements, Wiiliam Davis, Juslyn Dhingra, Daniel Manning, Kaylah Patel, Grace Pham, Kristal Salinas, Sneha Shenoy and Alissa Zenero, who have all read at least 10 out of the 20 Lone Star Books! Finally a very special shout out to Dillon Manning who has read all 20 Lone Star Books!!! It’s not too late! Start reading a Lone Star Book today!