End of Term 1 Newsletter
Miss Billings & Mrs Franich, Year 4
Next term we will continue our "Dive into a Book" homework series. The students will be focusing on reading regularly for at least 20 minutes and complete activities based on what they've read.
We have been learning to...
Working on spelling strategies every day with a new list each week. Each student has had their own spelling lists to meet their personal needs.
We have worked on Descriptive Writing and practising the Writing Process of drafting, editing and publishing a final draft.
We have learnt various reading skills, such as:
- Author's Purpose - Why an author writes something, usually to persuade, inform or entertain. We call it our "Author's Purpose P.I.E."
- Cause & Effect - The cause is what happens first (WHY) and the effect is what happens next because of the cause (What happens NEXT).
- Fact & Opinion - Facts can be proven true/false and Opinions are based on how something thinks, feels, or believes. Facts are always the same and Opinions depend on each person.
- Story Structure - The different elements of a story, which include: Characters, Setting, Plot, Problem/Solution.
- Theme - The message an author tries to tell the reader through actions in the story. (Some common themes are: Bravery, Courage, Honesty, Caring for Others, Friendliness, and more.)
You Can Do It!
We have worked on setting SMART goals and exploring our Getting Along skills.