Mill Creek Magic Messages
News and Updates from Mr. Ortman and Mr. Murtha 9/30/2022
1st Grade Classes Celebrate and Learn about the Many Uses of the Apple
Wonderful Turnout for our Kindergarten and 1st Grade Picnic!
A huge thank you to Mill Creek Home and School for organizing such a great event!
Rita's Water Ice - A Big Hit... Even on a Cooler Day!
- Friday, September 30-Tuesday, October 4, and Thursday, September 6 - Mill Creek Book Fair
- Wednesday, October 5 - Yom Kippur (No School)
- Monday, October 24 - Diwali (No School)
- Friday, October 28 - 6th Grade Halloween Howl, 7-9 p.m.
- Monday, October 31 - Early Dismissal, Grades 1-6 (AM Kindergarten attends; No PM Kindergarten)
HSA in Need of Some Book Fair Help!
FROM MR. ORTMAN and MR. MURTHA
We have come to the end of September... a full month of school into the 2022-2023 school year is "in the books," and it has been a great start! Our 6th Grade students took on (and conquered) the Ropes Course challenge, we held a fun food truck event that brought our greater community together, and we had a formal chance to welcome many new... and some returning... families during this past week's Kindergarten/1st Grade Picnic. And that doesn't even cover all of the incredible in-school happenings. Students and teachers have been creating classroom bonds, students have been learning new skills in a new grade level (in particular, we have already seen a lot of great writing happening in classrooms), and classrooms are alive with technology-infused learning, small group learning, and wonderful activities (e.g. the recent 1st Grade Johnny Appleseed lessons/activities)!
As we head into October, students will dive deeper into the curriculum and start to bring home even more and deeper knowledge and skills. They will truly amaze you! Additionally, we are entering a really fun part of the school year, with upcoming Halloween events and lessons focused on Thanksgiving and the Winter Holidays thereafter. Thank you for the part you play in our students'/your childrens' learning journey!
Let the "spooky season" begin, and have a nice weekend!
Shawn M. Ortman
John C. Murtha
Creekers' Code Staff Winner of the Week...
Instructional Spotlight - Ms. Lincow, Kindergarten
Extra-Curricular Opportunities/Community Events...
FROM OUR SCHOOL NURSE...
REQUIRED HEALTH EXAMINATIONS FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR:
The State of Pennsylvania mandates the following health examinations:
- Students entering Kindergarten and all students new to the district-- Dental Exam and Physical Exam
- Students entering Grades 3 and 7--Dental Exam
- Students entering Grade 6 and 11-- Physical Exam
DENTAL EXAM FORM---https://www.cbsd.org/cms/lib/PA01916442/Centricity/Domain/403/Forms/dentalexam_formH514027.pdf
PHYSICAL EXAM FORM-- https://www.cbsd.org/cms/lib/PA01916442/Centricity/Domain/403/PHYSICAL%20EXAM%20form%202012.pdf
Parents are urged to have physical and dental examinations completed by their family physician or dentist. Exams may be completed any time after September 1, 2021 The completed health forms are due to the health office no later than October 15, 2022. Please keep a copy of the health form for your records.
For Qualifying Families, Apply for Free and Reduced Lunch - It's Easy!
- English: https://vimeo.com/748146211
- Espanol: https://vimeo.com/748143109
Voluntary Information Sharing Across Programs for Free and Reduced Lunch Families...
Dear Mill Creek Families,
Please see the link below to a form that allows Free and Reduced Lunch families to share their information with other programs and ease the burden of having to sign up for support for each one individually.
Thank you, and have a great day!
Estimadas familias de Mill Creek,
Consulte el siguiente enlace a un formulario que permite a las familias de almuerzo gratuito y reducido compartir su información con otros programas y aliviar la carga de tener que inscribirse para recibir apoyo para cada uno individualmente.
¡Gracias, y que tengas un gran día!
Student Laptop Expectations
Additionally, if your child loses or misplaces their laptop case, please reach out to the Mill Creek Main Office.
District Laptop and iPad Care
- Please encourage your children to use their laptop/iPad bags for carrying devices in school, at home, and to and from each location.
- Please encourage your children to report issues/problems with their devices, so they can be properly address and fixed as soon as possible.
- The laptop/iPad payment fee covers accidental damage. Intentional damage may result in a family being billed for the damage.
Schools will be communicating these messages in school as well.
We appreciate your support!
Inclement Weather Procedures for Car Riders - Dismissal
New Volunteer Procedures...
Mr. Shawn Ortman
Mr. John C. Murtha