How to do Division
Steps for doing division
These are the steps for a 2-digit by 2-digit whole number.
If you are estimating:
- Round the divisor (19) first.
- Round the dividend/whole to a compatible number.
- Divide your numbers.
- Then you start your problem.
- Put the first number in the house.
- Divide. How many times can 19 go into 52? 2.
- Multiply. 19*2=38.
- Subtract. 52-38=14.
- Compare. Is 14 less than 19? Yes.
- Bring down. If there's a digit at the end bring it down. If not your done. Your answer should be 2r14.
- If your remainder (14) was larger than your divisor (19), you made a mistake. Go back and find your mistake to get your real answer.
- The steps are the same with a decimal, except do NOT forget to bring up your decimal FIRST.
- If you are not doing remainders, you are done when there's no remainder and nothing left to bring down.