Miss Brown's Class Newsletter
October 14, 2016
What's Going on in our class?
Dear Second Grade Families,
I hope everyone has a had a wonderful week. We have been busy in second grade! Today was the final day of first quarter. We will begin working on second quarter materials starting on Monday. I want to give a big thank you to everyone that donated to our Royals Fall Fest Basket! :) Have a great weekend!
- In reading students worked on deciphering between facts and opinions through reading different passages and books as a class and in small groups. They also worked on determining the author's purpose for their writing: persuade, inform, or entertain.
- Next week students will work on explanatory reading. They will be reading how to books, directions for recipes, directions for getting somewhere, etc.
- This week students worked on writing their opinion about various topics. They completed a food review on two different types of cookies today.
- Next week they will do another food review and go through the complete writing process with it.
- This week we reviewed place value and also worked on comparing numbers. Comparing numbers has been much easier than place value for most students. At home support your child with place value by reviewing the difference between the hundreds, tens, and ones place.
- Next week we will begin adding two digit numbers without regrouping this week. At home you can practice addition facts to reinforce this skill. It is important that students can quickly answer basic math facts in order to be able to solve two digit math facts.
Word Wall Words:
- We collect box tops and pop tabs.
- Sign up for conferences if you have not done so already. A link was sent out last week from KT.