The Jones Journal
Updates from The Flock // September 23, 2014
Fall Fun Night
Thursday, Sep. 25th, 5:30-7:30pm
4790 Cemetery Rd
Donuts with Dad
Friday, Oct. 10th, 8-8:30am
4790 Cemetery Rd
Mark your calendar for Doughnuts with Dad which takes place on Friday, October 10 from 8:00-8:35.
* Notes From Mr. Jones *
As you may know, I do allow students to bring an afternoon snack to school. Here are some reminders about snacks:
- Snacks should be healthy (no candy, cookies, etc.)
- Please provide snacks that do NOT need utensils. I will not provide those to students.
- Due to food allergies in the classroom, students are not allowed to share snacks at any time.
- Snacks should be eaten in 10 minutes and easily cleaned up.
Reading At Home
What Are We Learning?
For the past few weeks, we have been exploring adding and subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers. Students have spent many days learning different ways to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers). We've realized that we must find equivalent fractions. (For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12.) Also, students have been solving many word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers.
- 2/3 + 4/5
- 5/7 - 1/3
- 2 1/2 + 7/8
- 3 1/6 - 2 3/4
Fifth graders will be spending this year learning about the Western Hemisphere. More specifically, students will study the geography and history of North and South America.
Last week, students used the New World Studies Weekly newspaper to identify the regions of the United States, Canada and Latin America. Students studied features of each of these regions, such as economic status, population and geographic features.
- Identify questions that can be answered through scientific investigations.
- Design and conduct a scientific investigation.
- Use appropriate mathematics, tools and techniques to gather data and information.
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Develop descriptions, models, explanations and predictions.
- Think critically and logically to connect evidence and explanations.
- Recognize and analyze alternative explanations and predictions.
- Communicate scientific procedures and explanations.