Keeping you "In the Know"...
"Learning begins at the edge of your comfort zone."
* Tuesday, January 5th: 4th grade ELAR teachers going to Purefoy for learning walk.
* Thursday, January 7th: 5th grade ELAR teachers going to Purefoy for learning walk.
* Dinah Chancellor: Wednesday, January 20th- Dinah will be working with Kinder, 3rd grade, and 4th/5th grade math teachers on mathematical thinking and reasoning--and the types of questioning that generates it.
*Dinah Chancellor: Thursday, January 21st-Dinah will be working with 1st and 2nd grade teachers on mathematical thinking and reasoning--and the types of questioning that generates it.
I also want to include some tools to support the deeper conversations during the math block. Below you will see a poster that has some great questions students can use to support their conversations with problem solving. Some of you have these in half posters from last year. If you do not have one and would like one to support students with their conversations, please let me know so I can get them made for you. I have also made you a ring of questions which I have placed in your mailbox that can be used by your students (in partners, etc) to support their thinking and questioning. If you are interested in sending off to print shop to get more of these to make, they are attached to this email.
The more we use these types of questions to launch their thinking, the more automatic the questions will become as students work through problem solving on their own. Just a great tool to support students in "how to think."
Spring Math PD Update: Due to the sub shortage, the curriculum department will be replacing the job-embedded spring PDs with an on-line PD for teachers. The on-line PD will be on the same dates slated for the job-embedded PD. Teachers will be able to receive the PD as a team and special program teachers/facilitators can be a part of the learning as well (SpEd, DLC, Dyslexia, GT, etc). The PD will be recorded so it can be viewed at anytime.
Teachers, please make sure you cancel the subs you have scheduled for the job-embedded PDs.
The schedule for our online PDs:
- January 14: 5th grade
- January 21: 4th grade
- February 11: 2nd grade
- February 19: 3rd grade
- February 25: 1st grade
- March 22: Kinder
- The 3rd Nine Weeks Scope and Sequence for Writing will be available in Eduphoria workshop Friday afternoon!
- Due to the sub shortage, the curriculum dept. will be replacing the job-embedded PD that was during the day with a morning PD. Therefore, teachers will be able to cancel their subs for the spring session. Please see the schedule for our spring PDs below: