Holmes Elementary School - Week Ending - 8/24/2018
IMPORTANT DATES/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- America To Me Launch on Starz - August 26
- Curriculum Night – August 30– 6:00-8:00pm
- Al Fresco Friday – September 7 – 3:15-4:15pm-Sept 7, 3:15 - 4:15 PM, Al Fresco Friday
- Al Fresco Friday - September 21, 3:15-4:15pm
- DINE OUT! Lou Malnati’s - Sept 25, 11:00am -11:00pm
- Picture Day - Monday, September 24
- Fall Carnival - September 29, 4:30-7:00pm
- Rain Date for Picture Day - Monday, October 1
- Community PTO Meeting, Link-To-Learning, Leader in Me! -Oct 17, 8:15-9:45am
- DINE OUT! Nando’s Peri-Peri - October 17, 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Trivia Night! - November 9, 7:00pm
If I'm Driving, Where Should I Drop Off My Child in the Morning?
- Drivers must pull up to the furthest west spot available on Chicago Avenue to let their students exit or enter their cars.
- Students must be ready to exit or enter the car as soon as it stops.
- Students exit or enter vehicles ONLY on the sidewalk side. School staff will be on-hand from 7:50-8:00 in the morning to assist.
- Last minute instructions need to be taken care of before the car pulls into the
- Parents/guardians wishing to walk their children to the playground or into the school must park in a legal parking spot before walking with their child. Please be aware that there is NO PARKING on the north side of Chicago Avenue from the east side of the school building to Woodbine.
- Parking is not allowed on either side of the 400 block of Kenilworth from Chicago Avenue, south to mid-block, between 7:30-8:30 in the morning and from 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon.
- School buses load and unload on Woodbine Avenue. Please do not drop your students off in the bus loading zones.
- Cross with crossing guards.
- If stopped by the light at Kenilworth, do not leave your children off in traffic. Proceed to the designated drop off zone on Chicago Avenue.
- Kenilworth is closed at Iowa during drop-off and pick up. No cars should proceed South into the cul-de-sac.
Emergency Practice Drills 2018-2019 School Year
The school will conduct several fire drills during the 2018-2019 school year. This is a Fire Code requirement as well as a requirement by the Oak Park D97 Elementary School District. Our first Fire Drill is Friday, September 7, 2018.
Severe Weather Drill
The school will conduct one severe weather drill. Students will be escorted by staff members into our severe weather location. Students will be asked to sit on the floor with their head between their knees and their neck protected.
The school will conduct one lockdown drill over the course of the school year. This type of drill will secure the school building and safely shelter all students, staff and visitors inside the building. The purpose of this drill is to keep students safe from any danger outside or inside the building. In the event of an actual lockdown no one will be allowed to enter or leave the building until the authorities authorize such a release.
Celebrate Holmes Staff
Families, have you noticed a Holmes teacher or staff member who deserves a compliment or a thank you? Has this person made a difference for your child? Please share the reason in a brief email to me (email@example.com) so that we may recognize and thank them!
Community Hawk Nest
Questions or interested in a grant? Email the EDGE volunteers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's annual Fall Carnival is on Saturday, September 29th from 4:30-7:00 pm. The Holmes Fall Carnival is the biggest family event of the school year and it’s filled with games, events, and fun for kids of all ages! Admission is completely free for Holmes families, we will have snacks and drinks available for purchase. Be on the look out for your ticket - coming home in backpacks soon - watch for ways to volunteer!