Weekly Newsletter - December 14, 2017
We await the birth of Jesus!
The Second Week of Advent
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Bible Verse for the Month
From the Principal
It is hard to believe that we are already well into the second week of Advent, with the third week just on the horizon! We began this week by honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe, and we asked her for help as we prepare our hearts for the birth of Jesus. Here is a prayer you might consider praying with your family this season from Dynamic Catholic:
Heavenly Father, your son, Jesus,
is your greatest gift to us, a great sign of your love.
Guide us as we strive to walk in that love
together as a family this Advent.
As we prepare our hearts this Christmas,
bring us closer to each other
and to your son.
Give us the grace and strength we need every day.
Help us to always trust in you.
Come, Lord Jesus, lead all people closer to you.
Come and dispel the darkness of our world
with the light of your love. Amen.
May this prayer bring you and your family some peace this Advent, allowing you a moment to slow down and reflect on your blessings, and on what is truly important. Please take two minutes to watch the video below, created by Busted Halo. This video does a nice job of summing up the true nature of Advent.
Next week is December's last week of school, as we break for the Christmas Holiday at noon on Thursday, the 21st. I look forward to hearing from the students, all about the events of the break, when we meet again in January.
In Christ's Service,
Quotes to Ponder
Beauty on the outside never gets into the soul, but beauty of the soul reflects itself on the face.
- Venerable Fulton Sheen
Our Mother Mary is full of beauty because she is full of grace.
- Pope Francis
At St. Joseph Catholic School, we are striving to become missionary disciples by bringing others to Christ, through the recognition of what is beautiful around us each and every day, and reflecting that beauty in our actions.
Latin and Greek Root Challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- The Third Week of Advent, known as "Gaudete Sunday" or "Joy Sunday", begins this Sunday, December 17th.
- Student Council is also hosting an Ugly (Crazy) Sweater Day and contest on Friday, December 15th. For $1.00, you may wear your ugliest, craziest sweater with your uniform pants and shoes. Feel free to create your own! Get creative! Even a sweatshirt you decorated would work. There will be prizes! The money raised will help buy Christmas presents for children in need at the Arlington Life Shelter.
- Our very own Men's Rosary Group would like to invite you and your children to participate in praying the Rosary on Wednesday, December 20th, beginning at 7:30 am in the Art Room. All are invited and donuts will be served.
- The Christmas Program is coming this Wednesday, December 20th, at 7:00pm. Our 2nd and 3rd grade will present, "Grandpa's Nativity Play." Our violinists and band will also perform. It should be a wonderful evening!
car line observations
- Please remember that if you are walking your child into the school building, you are to park in the large lot in front of the field. Foot traffic should not be occurring in the very front parking lot, even though there is a defined crosswalk. It is dangerous to be walking between the cars.
- For the safety of all, please be aware of your speed as you move through the parking lots.
- Please be patient with friends and extended family members who drop off and pick up students. Many times they have not been informed of the proper way to navigate the car line. We do reach out to families after arrival and dismissal who seem to not understand the car line pattern.
- If you have a friend or extended family member picking up your child, please take a minute to explain the procedures to them. Please reference the diagram. Thank you!
- We would ask that a cell phone not be in your hand while driving in the car line. We all know it only takes one sudden distraction to alter lives forever.
Home and School Association (HSA)
The free dress day earned by selling raffle tickets is December 21st.
- There will be no HSA Meeting in November or December.
- Box Tops are always being collected for the school. Don't forget to clip them and bring them into the front office to help raise money for the school. The next collection date is January 9th.
- It's never too late to join the HSA! Come by the school office to pick up a form. The cost is $15.00.
Knights in the news
KNIGHTS IN ACTION!
The 5th grade presented beautiful oral reports on their favorite saint, and they played the part well!
Las Posadas in the Office!
In Spanish class, these 1st grade students have been practicing a song for Las Posadas. We were honored to have them come to the office to sing for us in Spanish. Well done, 1st grade!
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our 8th graders did such a beautiful job reenacting the
story of St. Juan Diego and his servitude to Our Lady. Bravo!
Las Posadas in the Office!
Body of Christ
Come see 3rd grade's completed "Body of Christ" projects on display. Nicely done, students!
Yes, even the school library deserves a Christmas tree, one that invites you to come close and investigate!
Our Blessed Mother Mary is so nicely honored at this grotto located on the grounds of St. Jude Catholic Church in Mansfield.
Body of Christ
Smiles all around!
1st grade enjoyed making gingerbread houses this week. Let imagination take over!
Ready to create!
This 1st grade student has some decisions to make. :)
Our Learning Band has really come far! Well done group. You are sharing your God-given talents with others. You should be very proud.
Smiles all around!
NJHS Serving Others
NJHS Shopping For Others
The National Junior Honor Society raised money by hosting a dance and a bake sale to purchase Christmas gifts for five children from the Spirit of Hope Foundation.
| || |
It's a wrap!
After the shopping comes the wrapping! Missionary discipleship in action. Thank you for serving others, NJHS. You have made Christmas a reality for some very blessed children.
Sr. Mary Anthony Nguyen, OP and Sr. Maria Theresa Pham, OP
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.