4th Grade News
May 2-6, 2016
We enjoyed the nicer weather this week and were able to get back outside for recess. We are looking forward to our field trip to the Hoover Museum in West Branch on Monday. Please make sure students are here on time, as we leave school at 9:15 and will return at 2:45. Right now the weather forecast says rain and we will be outside for part of the tour. Please send jackets if it is rainy and cool and we request students wear tennis shoes as we are walking most of the day. There is a gift shop the students can visit. We ask that students don't bring more than $10.
This week in math we continued to review for part of the week and then started Topic 16 , which discussed lines, angles, geometry and measurement. This week students were introduced to lines, rays, angles, line segments, and types of lines such as parallel, perpendicular and intersecting.
This week we read Because of Winn-Dixie and practiced summarizing as well as identified cause and effect and theme. In writing we wrote an opinion piece about the invader species the Burmese Python.
We investigated open and closed circuits in science this week and also discovered what materials are conductors and insulators. We started our unit about The great Depression in social studies. The students liked hearing the music from the 20's and 30's and watching people dance the Charleston.
- Please read and sign your child's agenda daily.
- Read and Feed (20 minutes of reading a night) are due on Friday.
- Spelling homework is due every Friday.
Dates to Remember
- Monday May 9th- Field Trip to Hoover Museum
- Monday, May 9th- Grant night at the Kernels
- Tuesday, May 10th- Last day to turn in Dragon Card money
- Friday, May 13th- No School
- Thursday, May 19th- Spring Fling
- Monday, May 30th-No School- Memorial Day
- Thursday, June 2nd- Last day of School-early dismissal-1:30
Happy May Birthday!