January 20, 2015
Great leaders focus on people's capacities rather than their limitations.--Leithwood
News to Roar About
- Kindergarten, 3rd & 4th Grade for outstanding common planning sessions. We appreciate your time and attention to great teaching and learning for our students!
- 5th Grade Junior Beta Club students on their induction to this honor society.
- Michele Devlin and Kim Mitchell for your leadership in organizing the Jr. Beta Club induction ceremony. All went well due to your planning.
- Cindy Huntington for seeking new ways to improve your craft and support students! Your initiative is impressive!
- Marie for the great session with the special ed team on STORI. Thank you for your time to help us learn.
- Sharon Mauney and Cindy Huntington for sharing your class with us in Leadership Academy. They did a super job!
- Thanks to our teachers for making the 100th day special for our students! It was a fun day of celebrating 100 days of school.
- Debbie Davis for a great professional development session in math! We appreciate your leadership in keeping us well informed in best practices in math!
- Shelly Everett for stepping out and trying new and exciting things in art class. You have done a super job of integrating technology and art! Full STEAM ahead!
- Donna Hargrave and Kathy Schmidt for your support of the Reader's Rally club. We cannot wait to see them show what they know at the competition!
- Mia Latimore for being so wonderful on our front desk. You keep the delicate balance of providing great customer service and standing firm to Harbins procedures. We appreciate you!
- Nicole and Minh for getting our students mentoring off to a great start!
- Amanda Herrington for your leadership in coordinating practice testing support for the GMAS.
- Linda Wood for organizing our cultural arts program for February. We look forward to another outstanding performance.
CFGs in January
- Please join me in welcoming Sheila Huie to our staff as an EBD paraprofessional. She will fill the vacancy created by Donna Lanford moving to another school in a teaching position. We look forward to having Sheila on the Harbins team!
Click the link for updates on Kahoot
Building Open on January 24 from 8-12 if you need the time.
2nd 9 Weeks Awards
Please input your student award winners into the Google Spreadsheet shared with you on Friday. Directions for printing Student Awards can be found on the Harbins Homepage in D2L-->Content-->Technology-->Awards
How's It Going?
Student Survey Schedule for Grades 3-5
Instructional Fair Updates
When: Thursday, January 29th 6:30 - 8:00
This year's fair will focus around the areas of STEM. It's a great opportunity to showcase STEM learning to our community through the various classroom activities that will be featured. Right now, be thinking of who you would like to work alongside for an activity (partners) and what your activity plan will be. This information will be needed after winter break.
The planning team is also in need of empty wrapping paper rolls and rinsed gallon milk jugs for our foyer fair decor. You can drop off these materials in the designated bins located in the Book Room.
Each student will design a personalized brick to create our iBuild brick wall in the lobby. You will get materials and directions in the near future. Thanks for supporting!
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Grade Level Professional Learning
- January 20- CFGs- all certified and paras should attend- 3:20-4:30
- January 21 - RBES Mid-Year Implementation Update-ALL Certified Staff- Prof Dev Room during specials
- January 22 - Grade Level Staff Development - Literacy
- January 23 - 5th Grade Collaborative Planning
- January 28 - 2nd Grade Collaborative Planning
- January 30 - 1st Grade Collaborative Planning
Troy University MS in Elementary Education - Representative at Harbins on February 2nd in the Tiger Conference Room
Troy University’s M.S in Elementary Education is a 36 hour program that can be completed online in just 1 year and 1 term. The M.S in Elementary Education is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. For more information teachers can follow the steps below.
1. Go to http://www.gapsc.com/
2. Select Certificate Upgrade link (click here)
3. Select Certificate Upgrade Advisor link (click here)
4. Current teachers select the Login button and Others select the
Quickview button (click here).
5. Follow prompts to search by program of interest.
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on February 3 from 1:15 - 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read Chapter 5 of Change Leader for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.