4th Week of September
Dear Moraine Families,
Each week, the Penguin's Raft will have updates on all the happenings at Moraine. The Big Three for this week:
1. On Saturday, Oct. 1st (9am-Noon) it's all hands on deck to do the fall cleanup before our Fall Fling on Oct. 14. Come for a little bit or come for the whole time - we LOVE getting our families together to help make our school beautiful!
2. Speaking of the Fall Fling - Save the Date for Friday, Oct. 14th and check out the flyer below for details! This annual family event is a fun way to gather the entire Moraine community!
3. We're 63% towards our PTA's goals for supporting Moraine programming for the year! The Penguin Pledge and Moraine PTA support our students and teachers through bringing in engaging speakers, sponsoring clubs, providing teacher grants, and MUCH MORE! Consider helping support the Penguin Pledge today!
Be well and talk soon,
Proud Principal of Moraine Elementary
Teaching for Learning for All!
In this newsletter, you will find:
- Pictures from First Grade Field Trip to Maybury Farm!
- Moraine Families are Gathering for the Oct. 14th Fall Fling
- NEF is Heading to Hockeytown!
- Now Accepting Penguin Pledge and PTA membership
- After School Programs
Picture Day is Thursday, September 29th
Dad's Club Meeting on Oct. 5th
The Moraine Dad's Club is centered around gathering to supporting our kids and building community. Last year, we helped landscape at Moraine, had a family bike ride, and even had some representatives help with cleanup at our sister school in Detroit (Maybury Elementary).
Come by on Oct. 5th for some school updates, brainstorm a fundraiser for our future Gaga ball pit, and share any new ideas for great experiences for our kids!
Have a fun, relaxing night out with our Moraine family!
!! Wristbands are available for pre-purchase at $12/child for children 2 and older. Wristbands will be sold the night of the event for $15/child !! Adults are FREE !!
Please note this year, with COVID restrictions removed, we will move the event indoors if there is rain!
**In a happy turn of events, the NPS District will be providing our school with a new laminator! Flyers that will be sent home this week were printed before this development, so please disregard our mention of the laminator fundraiser **
To purchase wristbands and learn more, please visit https://app.memberhub.gives/fallfling/Campaign/Details?ReturnUrl=%2FCampaigns%2FSetup%2Fde5dd7%2FOptions
To volunteer your time or items to the Fall Fling, please visit our SignUp Genius at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4aadab28a1fbc70-2022 - This event will not be possible without these donations! Thank you in advance!
SAVE THE DATE: Moraine Picture Day - Thursday, September 29th
Moraine Fall Cleanup - Saturday, October 1st
Dad's Club Meeting - Wednesday, October 5th, VFW Hall, 7pm
Moraine Fall Fling - Friday, October 14
2022-23 Moraine School Calendar
The Northville Educational Foundation is heading to Hockeytown!
Join us as we team up with the PTA and the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena to raise support for Northville Public Schools!
What: NEF's Hat Trick for Education! Sponsored by Marathon oil company
When: Wednesday, November 30th, puck drops at 7:00pm
How much: Ticket price is $44 per person which includes a post game photo on the ice!
Why: Ideal opportunity to have fun and do good in NEF's two exclusive seating areas while raising support for Northville Public Schools students, teachers & schools!
Visit supportNEF.org/HatTrickForEducatoin-1 for more details and to order your tickets.
See you there!
Welcome back to all of our Penguins and families! The PTA is looking forward to a terrific school year with lots of things planned. All of these activities wouldn't be possible, though, without the help from you. Make a donation to the Penguin Pledge, our primary fundraiser, today to help us reach our goal of at least $15,000. This helps fund the following and so much more:
- Parent Lighthouse to bring the Leader in Me values home.
- Teacher stipends to help cover the cost of supplies the teachers need for the classrooms.
- Grants for staff to help purchase those items that are more expensive.
- Money towards field trips for each grade.
- Assemblies like Science Alive and guest author Philip Stead.
- Meals and treats provided to staff by Staff Appreciation.
- Bagels, donuts, fruit and more for Breakfast with a Buddy.
- Extra curricular activities for the students like Robotics and Science Olympiad.
Go to https://app.memberhub.gives/moraineelem, scan the QR code below, or text the word 'Penguin' to 919.626.3277 to give.
Become a PTA member today and join the millions of other parents who are advocating for the safety, health, and wellbeing of our children. Visit our Moraine store to sign up. As a thank you for being a member, you will have access to the Memberhub school directory. For more information on the initiatives the PTA is working on, like a call to action for gun violence prevention, visit https://www.pta.org/.
As always, please contact us at email@example.com with any questions, comments or suggestions.
The Moraine PTA Executive Board
Moraine PTA Executive Board
Smart Watches Are Off/Away During School
A reminder that students are not permitted to have electronic devices during the school day, including smart watches. These pull attention and distraction away from engaged learning.
Using the Car Loop!
To keep our kids safe and an efficient line, please follow our arrival/dismissal procedures! A reminder that arrival does not begin until 8:30am and there is no student supervision prior to this time.
Moraine uses a bus loop at arrival and dismissal - no other vehicles are permitted to use the west bus loop during these times.
- Pull all the way forward until you can stop and immediately drop off your child as soon as you are next to the sidewalk.
- It is not necessary to hold up the line by waiting until you are in front of the entry doors to drop off your child.
- If you have to put your car in park for any reason, including if you are removing your child from a car seat, you must use the parking lot.
- Practice having your child repeat their dismissal plan to you.
Your family should display a name card on the right hand side of the dashboard and visible through the windshield. A BIG and BOLD name displayed assists our dismissal team with having your child ready to enter your vehicle.
If your child requires assistance, you may wish to park your vehicle in the parking lot and greet your child outside of their classroom door upon dismissal.
- NEW - To avoid a dangerous backup on the westbound 8 mine left turn lane, we will be using a double lane dismissal. Eastbound 8 mile traffic will use the lane closest to the sidewalk and the Westbound 8 mile traffic will use the next lane over.
Please use kindness, courtesy, and patience for a safe, efficient dismissal!
Wellness Wednesdays are back!
Wellness Wednesdays sponsored by the Northville Youth Network are back! These programs are free and support the physical, mental, social and emotional health of the youth in our community.
October 12th - 5:30-6:30 - Tweens (9-12)
Social Skills & Friendship - Learn tangible social skills and tools such as starting conversations, identifying positive relationships and conflict resolution.
Led by Erica Mickens, LMSW, Reset Brain and Body
October 19th - 6:00-6:45 - Littles (5-8)
Kids Yoga & Mindfulness - children will have the opportunity to move and learn yoga poses, while being mindful of their bodies and breath.
Led by Katie Olex, Down Pup Yoga
See the flyer for more details. Registration is required at: https://form.jotform.com/222187543053150 . Check out our Fall 2022 Preview flyer for upcoming events!
The Northville High School Drama Club Presents...
Tickets can be purchased for $10 at the door or online @ nhstheater.ludus.com
Show Dates: September 29th, 7pm September 30th, 7pm October 1st, 2pm, & 7pm
Let Grow Project!
Northville Council of PTAs present the Let Grow Project!
When Adults Step Back, Kids Step Up
At Let Grow, we believe today’s kids are smarter and stronger than our culture gives them credit for.
Treating them as physically and emotionally fragile is bad for their future — and ours.
Let Grow is making it easy, normal and legal to give kids the independence they need to grow into capable, confident, and happy adults.
NEWS AND NOTES
Quick Links for Reference
ClassLink and Schoology Resources
Video Gallery Picture - Exciting NPS Events!