By: Elaina Saile
How she became famous
She was famous for her roles in the movies Walk the Line, Water for Elephants, This Means War, Wild, most importantly Legally Blonde.
What started it all?
Reese Started acting at age 7 when her parents made her model for a flower shop advertisement, she loved it so much she started taking acting lessons.
- A surprise $140 million, the film Legally Blonde catapults Witherspoon to leading-lady status. The 2003 sequel, Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde, earns the star a $15 million paycheck.
- Shoe designer Jimmy Choo made 63 pairs of shoes out of man-made materials for 'Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde,' in order to be animal-friendly. Witherspoon asked to keep all of the shoes and designer clothing she wore in the film.
- Her net worth is at an estimated $80 million.
- Reese spent six months learning how to sing before she filmed Walk the Line. She portrayed June Carter Cash in the movie, and sang all the songs in her own voice in front of a live audience.
- Those singing lessons definitely paid off because she was approached by a few companies to record music after they heard her singing voice.
- She attended the prestigious Harpeth Hall School For Girls where she excelled. Her parents nicknamed her "Little Miss Type A" in reference to her being highly driven and it was her childhood nickname.
Awards she won
- Reese Witherspoon is one of eight actresses to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics' Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance.
- Witherspoon is the second actress to win the best actress Oscar for portraying a female singer in a biography - the first was Sissy Spacek for 'Coal Miner's Daughter.'
- Reese turned down a role in Scream, Urban Legend and Romeo + Juliet which she says she regrets.
- She appeared in four movies bearing the names of songs: 'Jack the Bear,' 'Sweet Home Alabama,' 'Just Like Heaven' and 'Walk the Line.'