in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 7, ISSUE 1, AUGUST 2019 NEWSLETTER
WELCOME TO THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR!
As we kick off this school year we have many new changes to look forward to!
- Elementary schools will launch their 18th Annual Nutrition & Exercise Challenge.
- New National School Lunch Week Theme: "School Lunch: What's on Your Playlist?"
- New Pilot Program that will introduce a food and beverage Cafe Express Club Car at a Senior High School.
- Exploring partnerships with local farmers and aquaponic growers to provide educational opportunities and the freshest produce possible to our students.
- Many new menu items at all grade levels
Congratulations to the graduates of the 2019 Management Training Course
August Safety Tip - Chemical Use
- Follow the appropriate procedures outlined in each cleaning products Safety Data Sheet (SDS), when cleaning equipment and floors each day.
- Ensure that all staff know where the SDS are located.
- Keep chemicals separate from food and beverages at all times.
- Be sure to put out a 'wet floor' sign in high traffic areas when mopping
HONEY SRIRACHA CHICKEN & BROCCOLI BOWL
- Olive Oil Spray
- 3 Chicken Breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces (24 ounces)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp. black and white sesame seeds, or as desired
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place the chicken in the egg whites, then in cornstarch and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Spray a large nonstick sheet pan generously with olive oil spray (so the chicken doesn’t stick) then add the chicken pieces, leaving room for the broccoli on one end. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and flip, then add broccoli on the other half of the pan and drizzle with 2 teaspoons sesame oil, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Place back in the oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk honey, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil together until smooth. Add the chicken and toss in sauce to coat.
- Divide all the ingredients to 4 bowls, top with scallions and sesame seeds.
Serving: 1bowl, Calories: 428kcal, Carbohydrates: 41g, Protein: 44g, Fat: 9.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 124mg, Sodium: 570mg, Potassium: 0mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 0%, Iron: 0%
- AUGUST 6: First Day, Cafeteria Managers
- AUGUST 12: First Day, Cafeteria Assistants
- AUGUST 13: First Day, Students
- SEPTEMBER 2: Labor Day, Student/Teacher Holiday, Non-Working Day, ALL PERSONNEL
- SEPTEMBER 18: Elementary Early Dismissal