in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 5, ISSUE 1, AUGUST 2017 NEWSLETTER
WELCOME TO THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR!
As we kick off this school year we have many new changes to look forward to!
- Students at all Senior High Schools will have access to another "build you own" line where they can experience Italian dishes.
- Elementary schools will launch their 16th Annual Nutrition & Exercise Challenge.
- All Food & Nutrition Services Employees will be challenged with new employee exercise challenges.
- New breakfast & lunch menu items district wide
- Some new faces around the district - 3 new Cafeteria Managers and 4 new Cafeteria Manager Interns
- 6 new CEP schools: Bannerman Learning Center, McRae Elementary, Keystone Elementary, Middleburg Elementary, Ridgeview Elementary, Montclair Elementary
Congratulations to our new Cafeteria Managers!
Welcome our new Manager Interns!
August Safety Tip
1 7.5-ounce can salmon, skin removed
¼ cup plain, dry bread crumbs
½ cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons horseradish
Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Mix all the ingredients except the cooking spray in a medium-size bowl.
- Form into 4 equal-size patties.
- Coat a medium nonstick pan with the cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
- Cook the salmon cakes on both sides until golden brown.
Chili sauce may be used instead of horseradish. This is an easy and inexpensive way to reel in omega-3s, fish fat with anti-inflammatory properties that also may help fight heart disease.
Serving size: 2 patties
Calories: 280; Total fat: 11g; Saturated fat: 2.5g; Cholesterol: 155mg; Sodium: 300mg; Total Carbohydrate: 16g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 27g.
- AUGUST 8: Manager / Manager Intern Meeting
- AUGUST 14: First Day, Cafeteria Assistants
- AUGUST 15: First Day, Students
- SEPTEMBER 4: Labor Day, Student/Teacher Holiday, Non-Working Day, ALL PERSONNEL