Writing SOLs & More!
- Many English classes are preparing for their 3rd quarter Independent Reading Project! Ms. Grover visited Mrs. Taylor's classes for students to check out nonfiction books while the Writing SOL was taking place in the library. The other seventh grade English classes visited the library to check out historical fiction, verse novels, or other books to inspire creative writing. In eighth grade, students in Mrs. Mathurin's classes used the library to check out fiction or narrative nonfiction books for their IRP, while Mrs. Madden's classes benefited from nonfiction book talks centered around themes such as freedom and global issues. Our students are reading books of their choosing while being guided by their fantastic teachers!
- Madame Ura's French classes spent a few days in February researching different aspects of culture in Francophone, or French-speaking, countries, and culminated their research by presenting their findings to their classmates - in French! Even our principal, Mr. Terrell, was able to attend some of the presentations. See below for a photo of this outstanding event!
- Students in Ms. Weiss's yearlong Advanced Drama class used the library for researching plays prior to 1950, using Dramaturgy concepts (getting an understanding of the historical and political climate surrounding the play's creation and premiere). Students benefited from learning about techniques to search Google better, such as boolean operators and the effective placement of quotation marks around search terms.
It has been a great month for the RRMS library!
Women's History & Music in Our Schools Month
Students learned about Women's History Month from books about extraordinary women in the RRMS library collection.
Students learned more about Women's History Month with facts and biographies of famous women, as seen in the glass display case in the locker commons.
This month, the glass display case highlighted March as "Music in Our Schools" month, with pictures of RRMS music programs as well as items from our collection.
Seen in the Library...
- Our last book fair of the year will be April 9-16 with books from Scholastic. We look forward to seeing you there!
- On Tuesday, April 14, the Parent/Teen Book Club will have its final meeting of the year, with guest Priscilla Cummings, author of Red Kayak.
- The library will be hosting Experimental Design Night, sponsored by the 8th Grade Science Department on April 23rd, from 6:30-8:00pm.