By Autumn Warbritton
A metabolism error, the body is not able to break down the amino acid called Phenylalanine.
Causes and Complications
- Inherited by both parents, missing and enzyme called phenylalanine hydroxylse.
- If left untreated, brain damage will occur, and brain retardation.
Testing, Treatment, and Life Outlook.
- SImple blood tests.
- Diet with low phenylalanine and supplements can increase tolerance and practically cure PKU.
- Long and "normal" if sticking with the diet and supplements.
- Parents doing enzyme assays to determine if parents have the genes.
- Mothers doing chorionic villus sampling when pregnant.