Level Creek eBLAST
Monday, November 16
Media Center Changes
In addition to classrooms, our Media Center technology has been retrofit. Our Level Creek PTA is updating additional technology and furniture. As a result, several projects will change the look of our Media Center in the coming weeks. We want you to know that the Media Center will remain open for students during this time.
We are excited about the new look of our Media Center and will hold an open house for parents and students upon completion. Thank you to parents and our PTA for the fundraiser which makes much of this possible and to the voters for voting YES for SPLOST which funds the technology retrofit!
We are also reviewing changes to our visitor policy. We plan on keeping both the Front Office and downstairs Welcome Desk open. We will be reviewing possible changes with the LCES Safety Team, School Council, PTA, and the Suwanee PD before we implement them.
If you have questions, please call the front office. Thank you for your understanding of these changes as we work to keep our students safe.
If you have not already taken our brief, confidential survey, please take a moment to do so. We value your opinion! Gwinnett County Public Schools will use the results of this survey along with student achievement results and other school data to rank Level Creek for the 2016-2017 school year. This survey will be accessible through December 10th. Hard copies are available in the front office as well. Thank you!
Media Center Volunteers
The following information regarding the Georgia Milestones Assessment was sent home Friday and is also here for your convenience.
Dear Gwinnett County Public Schools Parents and Guardians,
We anticipate the state will soon release system and school results from last year’s
administration of the Georgia Milestones Assessment which was taken in April of 2015. As you may remember, last spring was the first time our students took this new state assessment which took the place of the old Criterion-Referenced Competency Test (CRCT) and High School End of Course Tests (EOCT). Here are a few things to know about these results…
- Previously, with the CRCT and EOCT, student achievement was reported in three categories of achievement (Does Not Meet, Meets, or Exceeds). The Milestones results will be reported using four categories of achievement (Beginning Learner, Developing Learner, Proficient Learner, and Distinguished Learner).
- Because the CRCT, EOCT, and Georgia Milestones are totally different tests, with different expectations and different scoring, you cannot compare scores between the tests.
- As the Georgia Milestones set higher expectations for student achievement, it is likely that fewer students will achieve scores in the top achievement categories. This does not mean that our students know less; it is simply a reflection that the achievement bar has been raised.
- As with any new assessment, we anticipate that scores will initially be lower than they will be in future years as students and teachers become more accustomed to the new test and its format.
- While system and school scores will be available initially, the school system has not received individual student reports. As soon as the district receives the individual student reports (possibly as late as the end of the semester) we will place this information in the Parent Portal. At that time, you will be able to go to your Parent Portal account to see your student(s) results.
Gwinnett County Public Schools is committed to providing students a quality education that helps them to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to be successful in college and careers. Ensuring that parents and the public are informed about how well our students are doing is a key piece to that success. As a district, we are looking forward to reviewing last year’s Milestones results, digging into what they tell us about our students, their achievement, and what we can do to help students achieve at higher levels. Thank you for your continued support of our students, our schools, and GCPS.
Associate Superintendent for Curriculum and Instructional Support