The Cougar Connection
Washington Avenue School News - 2/16/16
WHAT'S COMING UP...
Thursday 2/18 - Food Pantry Collection - Visit by 1C
Friday 2/19 - Pizza Parlor Day
Monday 2/29 - SPECIAL EVENTS DAY
Tuesday 3/1-Battle of the Books Begins
Saturday 3/12 - Circus Trip
Monday 3/28-Report Cards Issued
Friday 4/1-Spelling Bee
Wednesday 4/6-PTO Meeting, 9:00 a.m.
Principal's Update - Mary Quigley
I have a big favor to ask of our community. With the snow falls we have had many children and parents have been sledding which is a good thing. Please be advised that sledding on the hill underneath the Watchung Parking Lot for Teachers is not allowed. Safety fences have been put up and should not be taken down. Sledding behind the school onto the field is the best place. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
WAS PTO President's UPDATE Michelle Lease
Also please mark your calendars for your next PTO meeting, Wednesday April 6th at 9:00 a.m. Dr. Michael LaSusa will join us for a budget presentation.
Square One Art
Did you know that our kids have been hard at work creating masterpieces for the Square One Art Fundraiser? Mr. Hasegawa and Miss. Hauser have worked with grades 1-3 in art class and the Kindergarten teachers have worked with their students on their drawings. Coming home in early March will be your child's custom catalog featuring their artwork. Help your child feel like an accomplished artist by purchasing keepsakes containing their work! WAS earns a profit from each oder to help support PTO funded activities, and best of all, you get to preserve your child's art on memorable keepsakes! Stay tuned for more details and your child's catalog.
SPECIAL EVENTS DAY-WELLNESS WONDERLAND!
If you haven't already, please put Special Events Day on your calendar-Monday, February 29th! Thanks to all that have signed up already! We are still in need of additional parents to volunteer and would love your help!! A special bonus is...parents who volunteer are treated to a special yummy catered lunch in the library :)
This year's theme is “Wellness and Mindfulness” and we will be transforming the school into a WAS WELLNESS WONDERLAND!
SPECIAL EVENTS DAY-WE NEED YOU!
- Decorate a bulletin board: 4 spots still open! (complete the week or weekend prior to the event). We plan to turn the school into a Wellness Wonderland and would love your help! You are welcome to decorate a bulletin board with your own creative idea, but if you need inspiration, we have a whole list of ideas you can choose from. Sign up here: http://vols.pt/7P9THB Any question regarding decorating bulletin boards, please contact Marilyn Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lead a classroom activity: 19 spots still open! We have developed easy-to-follow lesson plans for 4 classroom activities (yoga, mindful walk, healthy eating and making friends). Please indicate which one is of most interest to you in the note section when you sign up-http://vols.pt/H3LikE Any questions regarding classroom activities, please contact Kate Loatman (email@example.com).
-Help run gym and MPR activities. Our MPR (multipurpose room) 2 spots still open! will have guest speakers from our community including pediatricians, dentists and gardeners to talk about wellness topics. In the Gym, 4 spots still open! we will put the children through Boot Camp including a blow up obstacle course! There are two time slots available for the classroom, gym and MPR activities. You are welcome to sign up for both sessions, but we wanted to give flexibility to those who can only volunteer for the morning or afternoon. Gym Sign up: http://vols.pt/Sj3Qyg MPR Sign Up: http://vols.pt/NjuunY
Board of Education Highlights
Notes from Board of Ed Meeting on 2/1/16
Submitted by Jean King
-The meeting began with the swearing in of the new Township Board of Ed member, Sal Arnuk. Ms. Weber, Mr. Connors and Peter Daquila all thanked Mr. Nonnenmacher for his years of service on the board and the contributions he made.
- Recognized employees who earned tenure, Stated HS has used 2 snow days.
-Business Administrators Report
- Thank you to the maintenance staff for the snow removal; Residents - please do NOT go into the parking lots while they are being plowed. This includes (but not limited to) children sledding and people walking their dogs.
- Finance – next meeting 2/17. January meeting reviewed capital spending for 2016. Stanley church may have space available (no details given). Hoping for resolution on WAS driveway.
- Policy and Planning – meet again 2/29. Meet with teachers union for a meet and greet. c. Athletic boosters – do a lot for the community. Raised $8.7k for the John Taylor Babbitt foundation.
- Music and Theatre Boosters – Aladdin Jr. (2/4-2/6) and Shrek (3/3-3/5). 2 HS students won governor’s award for comedic pairs, 2 students were finalists for dramatic pairs, students won 6th place for improvisational pairs.