Updated on July 23, 2021
There will be no more weekly updates sent to you! This page includes all of FUMC's announcements. To keep current on everything FUMC please read below.
Living Faith Today- The topic for 7/27 is "Pregnancy Helps Writer Hear the Bible Differently; Our Circumstances Can Do the Same for Us" - A writer wrote an essay in The New Yorker titled "Reading the Old Testament While Pregnant." The writer discovered that having a baby on the way caused her to find new meaning in scripture passages she'd read before. This topic helps us see how our circumstances can open our ears to God's word in ways applicable to our lives right now.
This study group looks at what is happening in the world, how Scripture may guide us, and how we might respond in keeping with our faith. The group meets each Tuesday evening beginning at 6:30 PM for 1 hour via Zoom. This is not a class where you have to be there every week. You can come to some and not others depending on what is going on in your life. If you would like to check out this study group (they really are nice), just email JoAnn Wright (email@example.com) and she will add you to the email list. We hope you will join us.
School Supplies Collection- Hard to believe it’s that time of year again! The 2021-2022 school year is looking to be a more normal school year. FUMC is teaming up with United Way and the Backpack Coalition to help provide supplies to our Waukesha public schools. See the supply list for the items most needed this year. We are collecting items now thru August 15 in the yellow bin under the monitor in the main hallway. Thank you in advance for your generosity! Any questions please contact Cheryl Printz or call 262-542-4256.
- Compassion Camp: Changing the World with Lovingkindness is on July 25th right after worship in the West parking lot. EVERYONE can participate in a 45 minute session which will include a bible story, craft, song and more. Please contact Elizabeth Ross for more information.
The Memory Cafe is back! We are so excited to bring our friends back together! There are some changes since we last saw each other. "The Spot" has now partnered with the Waukesha Public Library to be called "Waukesha Memory Cafe". It will still be the fourth Wednesday of each month, and from 10:30-12:00 noon, just like in the past. A Memory Cafe is a social gathering for those who are experiencing early stage dementia, mild memory loss, or mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and for their families, friends, or care partners.
Our first one is coming up soon, Wednesday, July 28th, titled "Summertime Picnic". Enjoy picnic-themed music, photos, and stories together in Cutler Park (The Waukesha Public Library's backyard). Bring a bag lunch if you wish to stay and picnic with your Memory Cafe friends afterwards. We are asking that you please register in advance at www.waukeshapubliclibrary.org or by calling 262-524-3682. If this date doesn't work for you, consider August 25th, from 10:30-12:00 noon for a Patsy Cline Tribute. Relax with your friends in Cutler Park to the songs of Patsy Cline with Kelli Cramer. There are a few brochures in the church office. If you have questions you can call Lu Ann Ramsey at 262-524-9378. Hope to see you soon for our welcome back Memory Cafe!
- Men’s Breakfast group is meeting again on August 8th.We meet on the second Sunday of each month. If you’d like more information, contact Dirk Wilken.
- Greater Milwaukee El Sistema will be having their Summer Camp here at FUMC on August 9-13 from 9 am until 4 pm. They are looking for some great volunteers to help out with our Safe Sanctuaries policy and be a second adult in the groups. You need to be 18 years old and have a willingness to listen to kids as they learn how to play string instruments. These kids have talent!!! If you are interested please email Cheryl Printz for more info. Thank you in advance!
- Sign up for a Summer Book Club for all ages with Pastor Greta: Educating ourselves about the experiences of others is an excellent way to build compassion and understanding. With that in mind, we’ve chosen two books to read and discuss in the West church parking lot this summer. Bring your own chair and refreshments. Adults, youth, and children are all encouraged to attend. To learn more click HERE. Sign up HERE!
- United Methodist Children’s Services of Wisconsin DAY OF SERVICE - On Friday, August 13 our Youth Group will head to UMCS’ Milwaukee campus to be a part of their Day of Service. They will work on small and large projects at the campus and around Washington Park. You can support the team and the work of UMCS by contributing financially. Financial donations will be given directly to UMCS to support their mission and community. Donations can be made online or delivered to church. Note “UMCS Youth” on your donation. Thank you for your support of our youth and UMCS!
XYZ Retreat (50+) Great news! Philip Chard will return as our guest leader for the XYZ fall retreat on September 19-21. Chard is a nationally recognized speaker and trainer. He has long advanced the use of the healing power of nature to promote personal growth. In fact, this year’s retreat theme is “Resilience and the Healing Power of Nature.” Again, our retreat site is at Pine Lake United Methodist Camp, with hotel-like accommodations. Costs are $300 for a couple, $150 for a single sharing a room, and $230 for a single not sharing a room. These costs include two nights of lodging and five delicious meals. Registration forms will be available at church starting on Sunday, August 1. If you have questions or would like more information, please call Gary Sampson at (262) 720-8023.
Circle of Sisters Join us beginning September 27th on the fourth Monday of each month, 7:00-8:30 pm, September–May (no meeting in December), to read and reflect on the book Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Robin is an indigenous scientist who through essays brings us lessons from the world around us. Attend when you can, even if that is not every month! Please sign up at HERE with your preferred email typed into the comment box. Please give us your information even if you cannot make the first meeting. You will need to obtain your own book, and we encourage you to consider ordering the book from an independent bookstore to support smaller vendors. JoAnn Wright will email you the reading schedule as we get closer to our first meeting. We hope to be able to meet in person by September, but just in case we have created a Zoom place to meet and will get you that information if we need to use it. Please contact JoAnn or Cheryl if you have any questions or concerns.
- Attention Upper Room Readers! Copies of the July/August Upper Room are available. Previous editions are available as well. If you’d like a copy, they are available in the hallway. You can contact the Office Manager for a mailed copy as well.
Yarntwisters is still a regularly active group. We've been meeting all throughout this Covid shutdown. Each Tuesday from 9:30 to 11:30, we have met at members homes. It been a wonderful experience. It kept us active, social distance at first, but helped us able to experience friendship and socialization, much needed during this time. We have decided to continue to meet throughout the summer. If you have free time and want to join us, we love to add new members. We would be glad to teach anyone to knit or crochet. Our summer project, in the past, has been warm hats, for the shelters of Waukesha County. Our group is always working on other projects as well. Since January we have made and distributed 141 individual items. To Waukesha Memorial Hospital we delivered, 40 Baby Hats, 20 Prayer shawls and 18 Lap Robs to Dialysis. To Pewaukee Cancer Treatment Center, we delivered 21 Lap Robs, 24 Chemo Hats. Waukesha Women Center we delivered 12 Warm Hats for woman and children, 8 Car Seat and Baby Blankets. To our Church Family, we always have Pray Shawl ready to pick up, just let us know. Yarntwisters love yarn donations, they can be left in room 209 or at church office at any time. That yarn will be put to good use. If you have questions, please contact Joyce Collins at 262-544-1781
- In-Person Scripture Readers Needed- Thank you to all of you who have recorded and submitted scripture readings while we have been 100% virtual. Now as we return to limited in-person worship, consider being a scripture reader in the sanctuary! You can sign up and read guidelines HERE or by calling the church office. Please plan on arriving no later than 9:00 am for 9:30 am worship.
- Weeders and Mowers Needed! Praise God that summer is here and plants are growing, but it does mean we need weeders and mowers. Help us communicate hospitality as we prepare for in-person worship. If you are able to weed, come to church whenever is convenient and devote an hour or two to weed the beds. There is no need to coordinate with anyone. If you are able to mow one week (or more weeks), please contact Brian Hietpas at 414-405-0040 to get on the schedule. The mower is provided.
- You can help increase AmazonSmile donations to First United Methodist Church (at no cost to you) by shopping HERE or with AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app. Prime day (06/21-06/22) is the prefect time to do so!
If you would like to donate altar flowers, please SIGN UP HERE. Please indicate on the sign up if you would like to keep them or donate them to a homebound member after the service.
- Healing Hearts offers virtual support groups for those with a grieving heart. The Adult Grief Support Group meets the second Tuesday of the month form 6:00pm-7:00pm. The Family Support Group for children, teens and adults meet on Monday from 6:00pm-7:00pm rotating between children and parent groups (every other week for each). The Young Adult Peer Grief Support Group meets every other Thursday from 6:00pm-7:30pm. To register for any of these groups call (262)751-0874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The counting team requests that you continue to use your offering envelopes when mailing in contributions. If you have not received yours, please email Tia Legler with the number of envelopes you would like and she will get those to you.
- Click the link below for the FUMC Photo Directory. If you would like your photo added please contact Cheryl Printz. Link to the Photo Directory: Photo Directory
- We appreciate your ongoing financial support of FUMC's mission and ministry. Our online giving account can be found using this link: HERE Your checks can be mailed to the church and designated to support our church budget or other specific missions of our church. Note to church members: When you mail your check-in, please include your green pledge envelope with your envelope number on it inside the mailing envelope. This considerably expedites our process. Thank you!! Our street address: First United Methodist Church, 121 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53186.