July 2016 Edition
Message from the Principal
Dear Central Parents,
As an educator, the time right before school starts is my absolute favorite. Everyone is excited and anticipating a wonderful year. It just makes me want buy school supplies. We have been very busy this summer renovating our school. Below you will see some of the before photos and I cannot wait for you to see the after pictures in a little over two weeks.
Summer Location and Hours
Until right before school starts, you will find Mrs. McLaughlin and I in the foyer outside the gym. Our office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3 :00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Our phone number remains the same 317-839-7707. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or concerns. We care about you and want to make sure you and your child have a very smooth start to school.
Kindergarten Screening--July 19 at Van Buren from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Due to all the construction traffic class placement will be emailed Monday morning July 18th. Please look for a letter from your child's teacher in the mail.
Supply Night Drop Off for grades K-5--Monday, August 1 at 4:00-6:00 We would like for K-2 to come between 4:00-5:00 and for grades 3-5 to come between 5:00-6:00. Since teachers will have gotten in the building on July 30th to prepare their rooms, we are not opening classrooms. This is just a time to drop off supplies. We appreciate your understanding.
First Day of School--August 2, 2016
Meet the Teacher Night
This will be a great time for us to showcase our newly renovated school.
K-1--Monday, August 15 at 6:00-7:00
2-3--Tuesday, August 16 at 6:00-7:00
4-5--Wednesday, August 17 at 6:00-7:00
School Safety Meeting- Monday, August 8 at 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
I cannot wait to see our returning students and to meet our new students! Only 17 days to go!
- Car riders can begin entering the building at 8:30.
- Students are not permitted to play in the front and parking lot area.
- Students MUST be under the supervision of an adult until 8:30 a.m.
- Be sure to pull all the way around the circle when dropping your child off on the sidewalk. Please do not stop in front of the building to drop off or get out of your car to hug good-bye. We must keep traffic flowing. (see attached map)
- For the safety of your child, please have your child exit the car on the sidewalk side. The passenger side is so much safer!
- Please do not use your cell phone when dropping off your child. We must have everyone's eyes focused on our students. For many this will be a new experience and we need to be paying attention.
- If you plan on picking your child up from school and your child will normally be a bus rider, you must provide us a note in the morning. Last minute changes, especially on the first days of school, create a lot of confusion at the end of the day.
- Bus riders- Bus numbers will be posted to the website by Wednesday, July 27th.
Car riders are dismissed at 3:45 p.m. to go to the gym. As parents pull up to the curb, their child/children will be called for and escorted to your car. Bus riders and walkers are dismissed at 3:50 p.m. Walkers will line up by the office counter and will be escorted outside by an adult.
Changing the End of the Day Transportation Routine
The following information is from our handbook:
If your child is to go home a way different than their normal arrangement, you must send in a note to the teacher with instructions as to how the child is to go home. We will not allow a child to go home a different way without a note. The bus driver also needs a note if the child does not normally ride their bus. Please make these arrangements before school or by 1:00 p.m. at the latest.
If you call requesting that your child become a car rider, you are required to come into the school office to sign out your child no earlier than 3:50 p.m. Your child will be waiting in the office lobby until you sign them out. Signing your child out prior to 3:50 does affect your child’s attendance, as it counts as a partial day present.
If you call requesting that your child ride a bus home instead of being a car rider, we will need to verify that we are speaking to the child’s parent/guardian by asking certain questions or through caller ID on our phone system. To make this smoother, please call from one of the phone numbers that you have registered with our school as contacts.
Finally, please note that e-mail notifications of changes for the end of the day ride home will no longer be accepted. We are not able to ensure that the email will be read in time.
Food Service Information
We will take care of your children the first day of school and everyone will eat.
There are a couple of options
Students can pack a lunch.
Students may purchase a lunch. Please send a check to school on the first day made out to
PLAINFIELD LUNCH FUND
EFunds for Schools
You may fund your child's lunch account online. This will not be available until after July 25th.
Please visit www.plainfield.k12.in.us and click on "Food Services". On that page, you will find a link to the E-Funds for Schools secure payment server. When you get there, you can choose the payment method that is easiest for you.