for the week of May 9th
Dear Carnegie Professionals,
Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms, grandmothers, aunts, and other fabulous women who help to raise and care for our students. May all the love you give, come back to you a hundredfold. Our students are thankful to have you in their lives. Enjoy your day!
The Chicago Teachers Union’s confirmed Wednesday night that for the time being, teachers will not strike. The union’s elected delegates did not cast votes to set a strike date. Therefore, TRC & NWEA Spring Assessments will be administered as follows:
- 8th grades the week of May 16th (must be administered by June 1st).
- 3rd & 6th grades May 25th-May 31st (must be administered by June 1st).
- All other grades the week of June 6th.
- TRC testing window May 9th-June 15th.
Michigan State University Student Interns and Administrators will visit our school on Tuesday, May 10th and Wednesday, May 11th. The student interns will work alongside the Mentor Teacher and students. They will report to classrooms at 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The MSU Administrators will tour the school and classrooms on Tuesday. So, let's dazzle and shine with our digital media lessons.
Congratulations Carnegie won Network 9 Attendance Challenge for the period of April 14th-May 4th. Thirty students and teachers will attend the Razzmatazz Arcade on May 13th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Thirty students in 3rd-8th grades with the highest attendance rate for the period of of April 14th-May 4th will attend. Student roster and permission slips will be provided to staff in the coming days. The next Attendance Challenge starts on Monday, May 9th- May 17th and the prize is 30 tickets to the White Sox game on Wednesday, May 25th from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Our school can win White Sox tickets for 25 students and 5 adults. This Attendance Challenge will be for students in grades 3rd through 7th, as the 8th grade students will be in Washington, D.C. Teachers and students with the highest attendance rate for this period will be selected to attend. So, please encourage your students to attend school each day.
There will be a LSC Meeting on Tuesday, May 10th at 6:00 p.m. in the cafeteria. All staff are welcome to attend.
There will be a PAC meeting on Wednesday, May 11th at 9:00 a.m. in the cafeteria.
We will not conduct a NWEA Pep Rally this year.
Domain 1: Planning & Preparation
- There will be an IB Design Planning Meeting on Monday, May 9th through Thursday, May 12th. All IB and Resources Teachers should attend. You will be compensated.
- Reading & Math DE Plans for the weeks of May 9th-20th are due in the main office at 8:45 a.m. on Monday, May 9th. You are to implement iReady Reading/Math, Nearpod, Achieve 3000, Discovery Education Streaming Plus Model Lesson, Discovery Education, Science, Social Studies & Math Techbooks, Raz-Kids. You are to submit lesson plans using the Discovery Education Lesson Plan template. You are to submit Reading & Math Lesson Plans only. The DE template can be found on the Google document "Opening Day". Lesson must be aligned to the quarterly Scope & Sequence.
- Gradebook feedback for the week of May 2nd-6th will be placed in your mailbox on Monday, May 9th.
Domain 2: Classroom Environment
- There are a large number of students in the hallways and other areas of the building without adult supervision. As we near the end of the school year; it is imperative that we continue to supervise students. All teachers MUST pick-up their class promptly at 8:45 a.m. and dismiss your entire class promptly at 3:45 p.m. YOU MUST MEET & WALK YOUR ENTIRE CLASS OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING.
Domain 3: Instruction
- Kdg-2nd Grade Teachers: All intensive students must be progress monitored by Friday, May 13th.
- TRC & NWEA Spring Assessments are fast approaching! Review your classroom goals and continue to implement Discovery Education Reading & Mathematics Model Lessons, Nearpod, iReady Reading & Mathematics lessons, Raz-Kids and Achieve 3000. Daily student lessons must include GRR strategy and weekly assessment (paper-pencil or on-line). You are to continue to assign Reading & Mathematics homework daily. Consider assigning DE, iReady Reading & Math or Nearpod on-line homework. Just a reminder of our School-wide Spring NWEA Targets:
- Spring Goal Reading Attainment - 84%
- Spring Goal Math Attainment - 72%
- Spring Goal Reading Growth - 92%
- Spring Goal Math Growth - 62%
- Spring Goal Reading & Math Diverse Learners Growth - 51%
- Spring Goal Reading Attainment - 84%
Domain 4: Personal Responsibilities
- There will be a grade-level meeting on Tuesday by the Team Chairperson. The focus of the meeting will be to provide your input on the 2016-2018 CIWP Strategies.
- Our attendance rate for last week was 96.23%. That's a .69% increase from the previous week. The Top Three classrooms with the Highest Attendance Rate for May will receive a paid field trip to: 1st Place Winner each month may choose: Willis Tower Skydeck, Legoland, Shoreline Sightseeing’s Architecture Exploration Cruise, 2nd Place Winner each month may choose: Navy Pier Children's Museum, Navy Pier IMAX Theater or John Hancock Center and 3rd Place Winner each month may choose: Lincoln Park Zoo, The Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium. The May Attendance Winners will be announced on Friday, June 3rd. Therefore, continue to encourage your students to attend school daily and on-time. The May winners will be announced on Wednesday, June 1st. Good Luck to all!
- Network 9 will next two Attendance Challenges for the 4th quarter for all 3rd through 8th grades are as follows: 2nd Attendance Challenge: Date Range: Monday, May 9th through Tuesday, May 17th.Prize (winners will be announced Thursday, May 19th): US Cellular Field (25 students and 5 adults per winning school) White Sox vs. Cleveland. Wednesday, May 25th 12:30pm to 2:30pm. 3rd Attendance Challenge: Date Range: Friday, May 20th through Wednesday, June 1st. Prize (winners will be announced Friday, June 3rd): 15 Extra Attendance Carnival Tickets. Tuesday, June 7th.
- REACH Component 4b-4e Procedures. Educators who will receive a summative rating following the 2015-16 school year are encouraged to submit evidence for components 4b-4e using one of the options explained below. This is especially important for the following groups of educators: PATs,Tenured educators on annual plans and Tenured educators in Year 2 of a biennial plan. Final 4b-4e evidence should be submitted in RLS on or about May 27, 2016. Evaluators provide final ratings in RLS on or about Friday, June 17, 2016. For more information, here is the direct link for the 2015-16 Guidance for Components 4b-4e.
All ESPs must be visible on school ground during morning entry. You must walk the perimeters of the school grounds. Walking the school grounds will help alleviate any potential student altercations prior to the start of school.
"Spotlight on Instruction"
Ms. Gipson's & Mrs. Blanchard's students engage in peer tutoring on the stages of the life cycle of a seed.
Principal Pollard models how to make a number sentence using cubes to Ms. Gipson's Kindergarten class.
White Sox Teacher Appreciation Days
- Saturday, May 21st @1:10 p.m. White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals
- Thursday, June 9th @ 7:10 p.m. White Sox vs. Washington Nationals
- Friday, August 5th @7:10 p.m. White Sox vs. Baltimore Orioles
- Lower Box: $15.00 off
- Outfield Reserved: $10.00 off
- Upper Box: $5.00 off
Please visit www.whitesox.com/teacher to view pricing for each game. Promotional Code: TEACH