- "Dumb as a dog he listened" this a simile because it fits the simile description which is comparing 2 things using like or as. This line means that he was really dumb for listening to bess and the highwayman romantic conversation.
- "His face burnt like a brand" This is a simile because it also fits the similes description. This line means his face was badly burnt because a brand is extremely hot
- "The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas" this is a metaphor because a metaphor is comparing 2 things without using like or as. This metaphor means the moon was creepy and ghostly.
- "The road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor", this is a metaphor because it fits the description, this means the moonlight was over the purple field
- "tlot,tlot,tlot" This is alliteration because it fits the description which is the commencement of two or more words of a word group with the same letter, this means when the horse came riding up it made that noise
"drenched with her red blood", this is vivid imagery because it puts a good picture in my mind. this means bess was covered in her blood.