Titan Staff News
Week of September 29
We are kicking off the student portion of the #titansread campaign this week. What is that exactly and why do we do it? It's technical name is the 25 Book Campaign or you may have heard it called the Million Word Challenge. Research shows that if students read 25 books, they will read close to a million words. Within those million words, they will encounter between 15,000-30,000 new vocabulary words. In addition, the continued reading will deepen their comprehension skills and increase fluency.
The details of how we will monitor our student reading program will be shared with you later this week. From you, we need to show a shared sense of purpose and encouragement for reading. Last year roughly 10% of our student completed the challenge. This year, we are being purposeful and intentional in our planning and preparation. I feel certain our participation rate will increase dramatically.
This week we head into the final week of our grading period. It's sobering to think a 6th of our year is behind us. We will never get those moments back, so let's make the ones we have before us count!
Have a great week,
This Week at Tidwell
Monday, Sept 29
Barker/Parkman @ Admin (am)
Gatlin @ Admin (pm)
7th Fball vs Wilson (@Texan Stadium)
Tennis vs Richland
Tuesday, Sept 30
Core Leadership Meeting 11:55
8th Fball vs Wilson (@NISD Stadium) Come see the Band perform!
Wednesday, Oct 1
Thursday, Oct 2
Vball vs Pike (7th away/8th home)
Pep Rally Day!!
Friday, Oct 3
Fall Pictures (small gym)
- Our staff have read 350+ books thus far! Can we reach 500 by Thanksgiving Break? Be sure to send Barker your # of books read via email. Titles not needed.
- Our first Pep Rally will be Thursday, October 2nd. We will follow an Advisory Bell Schedule. VERY DETAILED information will be sent via email regarding dismissing to the pep rally. Also, please have your students watch the announcements this week - Pep Rally etiquette and directions will be shared.
- The PDAS window has opened. You will be hearing from your PDAS appraiser to set up observations.
- Mass Emails/Reply All....Please note that if you are needing to send an email to the entire staff, those need to be approved by a campus administrator first. In addition, "Reply Alls" are inappropriate use of our email system. They are often meant to be funny or joking, but truly just take up space in our mailboxes.
- Announcements are meant to be shown every single day. If you are not showing announcement consistently, your students are missing important information. Failure to show announcements can be noted as part of your PDAS Summative Evaluation in the areas of Campus Procedures and Policies.
Have you seen - or heard - how well our newest music students are progressing? These cellists were doing an outstanding job just 5 short weeks into their music careers. Great things are happening in the Fine Arts hallway!
Student Led Closing
Why do we want our students leading the closing? Closings don't happen by chance - they are crafted and planned by the classroom teacher. During work time, students are monitored and may be chosen to assist in closing the lesson. Reasons may be that the student offers a unique perspective to the class, they were incorrect in their initial learning but struggled through and were successful or may have a solid grasp on the concept and are able to share that with the class.
College Research in Wheel Class
These students were more than eager to share with me their colleges of choice as they created Smore posters. If you have students in your classes who are in Wheel, ask them about this project!