Middlebrook Lion's Link
Home of the Mountain Lions
Weekly News - September 8, 2023
Dear Middlebrook Families,
This week, for students' safety, we practiced a fire drill, along with a lockdown and stay put drill. We continue to be impressed with our students and their ability to follow our safety procedures. We practice a variety of safety drills throughout the school year and this practice helps prepare us to respond quickly, calmly, confidently, and safely. Drills are also important because they serve as a check in for our emergency response plans so that we can go over as a staff any details that we need to improve
We are striving to increase our daily attendance and decrease our overall chronic absenteeism. In the first two weeks of school, we looked closely at attendance data and will shortly be sending home letters to those students who are already deemed chronically absent. This data will be compiled weekly and communicated to parents on a monthly basis as needed. We strongly encourage when making vacation plans to utilize designated school vacation times.
"Chronically absent is defined as "a child who accumulated a total number of absences at any time during the school year that is equal to or greater than ten percent (10%) of the total number of days that such student has been enrolled at the school during the school year."
Please refer to board policy 5113.1 on our website for more information. https://www.trumbullps.org/board-of-education/policy
As always, thank you for your support. Have a wonderful weekend.
Ms. Ponte and Ms. Molloy
Students in Ms. V's class adopted a tree outside their classroom. They learned how they are nurtured just like the tree to "grow" into their best selves!
Back to School Night has been rescheduled to Thursday, September 14th.
- Grades K – 2; 6:00 – 6:45 PM
- Grades 3 – 5; 7:00 – 7:45 PM
Please be reminded, Back to School Night is for parent/guardian visitation only.
NEW Middlebrook Website
The district has chosen a new website platform for all TPS schools, and our site is up and running. We hope the new format is easier to navigate and provides consistent information access across the district.
NEW Middlebrook WEBSITE LINK: https://mes.trumbullps.org
From the Desk of Nurse Jeanne
DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL IF:
- Has a Fever of (100°F or more) the previous night or the morning before school. Do not give fever reducing medication and send to school.
- Has Vomited (with or without diarrhea), the previous night or the morning of school.
- Wakes up with one or both eyes sticky and the whites of the eyes are pink or red.
- A persistent Rash that is not allergy related.
- A persistent Cough, Sore Throat longer than 2-3 days, and or Covid/flu-like symptoms.
- Has been diagnosed with ANY Contagious Illness, such as: Covid, Strep Throat, Conjunctivitis, Influenza, Fifth’s Disease, Walking Pneumonia, or Break through Chicken Pox. Report to the School Nurse any diagnoses made by child’s Pediatrician.
* If your child is taking Antibiotics for any Infectious Disease a Trumbull Board of Education Policy states that a child needs to stay home for at least 24 hours before returning to school.
* A Few Reminders *
* If your child is absent from school please call (203) 452-4411 and leave a message on the absentee line with your child’s name, grade and reason for absence, by 8am on the day of absence.
* An absence from school for more than five days requires a doctor’s note to return to school.
* Please encourage your child to wash their hands frequently with soap and water, and to cover their coughs with elbow. This will help in prevention of germs being transferred from one to another, especially during Flu and Cold Season.
The staff and I appreciate your support. Let's work together to keep kids healthy and ready to learn in school.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your help and cooperation.
Jeanne Hoggatt RN, BSN
Middlebrook Elementary School Nurse
P: 203 452-4412
F: 203 452-4432
PICTURE DAY - Wednesday, September 13th
A Message from Robert Taylor
Prepay link is now active until Sept. 27th. See below.
If there are siblings in the same school, then you may enter the next child's name after placing the first child's package in the cart.
Robert Taylor offers the 3rd child free package for the district for Pre-K thru 11th grade (Seniors are not included). This is a special only available thru the end of the prepay period. Directions below:
3 siblings in the same school
· prepay the first and second child's orders and 3rd child’s order (3rd will come up free in the cart)
3 siblings in different schools
· prepay the first and second child's orders in each school's prepay
· email the studio at firstname.lastname@example.org with the 3rd child's name, school and what package was ordered for the other siblings.
All individuals seeking to volunteer in the Trumbull Public Schools must fill out and sign this “School Volunteer Security Check” form prior to beginning volunteering. The form must be completed annually. If you plan on volunteering, please fill out this form. Please keep in mind, every cell of this form needs a response in order to be processed. If a cell does not apply to you, please indicate N/A. We thank you in advance for volunteering!
Monday, September 11
National Day of Service Remembrance
Tuesday, September 12
Board of Education Meeting; 7:00 PM
Wednesday, September 13
Thursday, September 14
Back to School Night - RESCHEDULED
Friday, September 15
National Hispanic Heritage Month starts (until 10/15)
Rosh Hashanah Begins
Sunday, September 17
Rosh Hashanah Ends
Monday, September 18
PTA Meeting 7:00pm
Monday, September 25
Tuesday, September 26
Board of Education Meeting; 7:00 PM
Wednesday, September 27
Book Fair - during the school day and evening from 6-8pm
Thursday, September 28
Book Fair - during the school day only
Friday, September 29
School Store, grades 1-5
Saturday, September 30
Cow Chip Fundraiser Guardians Farm 3:15pm (see flyer)
CHET Dream Big
The CHET Dream Big! Competition will launch on September 7! This competition is brought to you by the Connecticut State Treasurer’s Office as Trustee of the Connecticut Higher Education Trust (CHET). Dream Big! is open to all Connecticut residents in grades K-12.
We need your help to make sure students and their families know about this opportunity to win contributions to their CHET 529 college savings plans!
This year, we will be awarding more than $450,000 in CHET 529 College Savings Plan – Direct Plan (“CHET 529 Direct Plan”) account contributions to students in grades K-12 and technology prizes to schools. For the winning students, we will be awarding:
- Three $20,000 prizes
- 24 $6,000 prizes
- 336 $500 prizes
To enter, students are asked to answer a question in the form of a drawing, essay or video. Younger students will be asked to answer a question focused on improving their communities and the lives of others, and older students will be asked to describe a lesson they’ve learned and how it will influence their future.
Submissions must be uploaded by 5:00 p.m. on November 6. There is no cost to enter. For program details and entry process visit:
Thank you for your support!
The CHET Dream Big! Competition Team
2023-2024 Trumbull Public Schools Calendar
Middlebrook School Hours
Doors open at 8:20 AM
Regular School Hours: 8:35 AM - 3:20 PM
Early Dismissal Hours: 8:35 AM - 1:00 PM
Delayed Opening Hours
2 hour Delay – 10:35 AM – 3:20 PM
2 ½ hour Delay – 11:05 AM – 3:20 PM