Acton Weekly Update 10/26/18
FTCSC Hedgehog Focus
The Hedgehog Concept is based on an ancient Greek parable that states, "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." ... Hedgehogs, however, simplify the world and focus on a single, overarching vision, which they then achieve.
One way we can all grow as professional educators is to participate in a coaching cycle. The results will be the same, but due to time, I've removed a step from Jim Knight's coaching model. So technically, I will am running a modified coaching cycle that consists of these steps:
- The teacher(s) chooses an objective or goal to work on with the coach
- The teacher(s) and coach plan how to meet the objective
- The plan is implemented
- Everyone reflects on the plan and the outcomes to make adjustments to our practice
I'm starting with K-2 teachers. Once I'm done I will move on to 3-5. I've narrowed the focus of the objectives to literacy and reading instruction, however, I'm open to working on anything you feel is an area of need.
The ultimate goal of it all is to foster a culture of collaboration and continuous school improvement. I'm excited to learn from all of you through this process. Please let me know if you have any questions. This sign-up form will be sent out to K-2 teachers on Friday.
THANK YOU for working hard at making our morning meeting Brain Smart.
Let me know if there is something you need.
I can come and do the Brain Smart for you. Here is a sign up sheet.
1. Unite (Song, chant, ritual; All students doing the same thing in unison)
2. Calming Strategies (Deep breathing)
3. Connect (eye contact, touch, movement, playful environment)
4. Commitment (“I am going to …)
Celebrations: Below are just a few shout-outs for all the hard work you do! There are many more I hope to take pictures of soon!
Mrs. Smith using our reading nook with students
Mrs. Simmons using group points as a positive management strategy.
Our Related Arts team celebrating the Shining Shoe
Mrs. Davis and her team finding creative ways to engage challenging behaviors
Mrs. Rigsby providing movement and independence during stations
Mrs. Reynolds having students write down their commitment for the week
Staff Spirit Wear Orders due by November 7th! Please give order forms, cash or checks to Sarah Poole.
Update on snacks during the day:
1. We still encourage NON Food rewards!
2. Students must bring in their own snacks and teachers CANNOT provide a snack.
3. Please ensure that students are not sharing food.
4. We can purchase Star Express Gift Cards for treats/snacks in the lunch room. This way treats are monitored for allergies.
If you have not completed your benefits open enrollment, you must do so by Wednesday, October 31st. Open enrollment ends on 10/31/18 and current coverage will be terminated at the end of the calendar year (12/31/18) if enrollment is not completed
We will no longer meet with Nadine on Wednesday morning. Instead she will be coming around to grade levels to model Daily 5 with Tech Integration. When grade levels met with her earlier in the year a strategy to focus on was decided.
Her schedule will be:
9-9:45 4th grade
9:50- 10:35 5th grade
10:40-11:25 2nd grade
1:30-2:15 3rd grade
2:25-3:10 1st grade
See email for coverage schedule.
FTCSC 18/19 Technology Goals
1. By October 12, 2018, all elementary teachers will create a Google Classroom. Teachers will send their classroom code to their administrator.
2. By February 1, 2019, general education teachers will use Google Classroom in any subject 1x/week. By February 1, 2019, related arts teachers, resource teachers, and EL teachers will use Google Classroom 1x/month.
Mrs. Elliott's Classroom Spotlight
DIBELS PM Red Week
Media Specialist at Acton
Cogat Testing Window
Heather Anderson's Birthday
Grade Level Team Focus Meetings- On Your Own!
Lindsey Elliott and Jayne Adam's Birthdays
CFA Cohort #3 Jewell/Greene/Reynolds/Nysewander/W-B
- K and Staff Favorite Book Character Dress Up Day!
- CFA Cohort #3 Jewell/Greene/Reynolds/Nysewander/W-B
Culture Team Meeting 8:15 AM
Picture Retake Day
- Family Game Night
Coming Up Before You Know It:
11/6 PTO Meeting
11/7 Counselor's Meeting
11/8 Principal's Meeting
11/8 Academic Team
11/8 Evacuation Drill 3:00
11/9 Veterans Day Program
11/15 PBIS Team Meeting
11/15 TItle 1 Parent Night
11/15 2nd Grade Music Program
11/16 Midterms Posted
11/16 Tech Team Meeting